Could it be twins? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone, 

I am new and I hope this isn't one of those annoying threads but I haven't been able to ask mommy's with multiples this question. I have had a strong feeling that I am having twins this time round (2 baby/babies) I will just make a list of why I think so below. I did have an u/s at 6w5d and there was only one baby, but I remember seeing a similarly sized black sac to the upper right of baby, maybe I am crazy idk lol When did you find out you were having twins. Did you have any ultrasounds before that didn't show the second baby? List of why I think it is twins below :)

1. I had extreme morning sickness that has just subsided a tad at 14w2d. Lost nearly 15lbs

2.. HCG levels at 5w5d were 35,000

3. I have been measuring about 2 weeks ahead despite my weight loss

4. I started feeling movement early (about 10 weeks) and I feel movement on each side sometimes

5. A week ago doc found baby on the left side with a heartrate of 162, but yesterday baby was on the right with a heartrate of 134bpm

I don't get a u/s until 20 weeks so I can't confirm

Thank you :)

#2 of 5 Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 AM

Hi!  Congrats on your little one.  I don't know anything about HCG levels, but measuring 2 weeks ahead is within normal and fluctuating heart rates is normal, too.  It could be that babe was in an active state during the first appointment and sleeping at the next.  Also, if they are just using the doppler's internal mechanism for calculating heart rate, they are not very accurate.  It's so hard to diagnose by symptoms.  Early movement is often associated with multiples.  Well, the 20 week scan will confirm either way.  I know how frustrating it is to wait.  I was 19 weeks when we confirmed ours. 

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#3 of 5 Old 02-05-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilmonkeys View Post

Hi!  Congrats on your little one.  I don't know anything about HCG levels, but measuring 2 weeks ahead is within normal and fluctuating heart rates is normal, too.  It could be that babe was in an active state during the first appointment and sleeping at the next.  Also, if they are just using the doppler's internal mechanism for calculating heart rate, they are not very accurate.  It's so hard to diagnose by symptoms.  Early movement is often associated with multiples.  Well, the 20 week scan will confirm either way.  I know how frustrating it is to wait.  I was 19 weeks when we confirmed ours. 

Thank you :) It is nerve racking. Did you have any u/s before you confirmed? My hubby was weirded out that baby was on the left, then the right, then the left again. Our ODS was always found in the same spot. That was part of the reason why he thought we have have twins, because maybe they are finding babya one week and babyb the other lol

#4 of 5 Old 02-07-2013, 07:49 PM

No, I didn't have any scans before 19 weeks.  That's the earliest I've ever had an Ultrasound, so I don't really know what is typical for earlier ones. :)

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#5 of 5 Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 AM

HCG levels don't tell you much, if they're high it's just a good sign that the pregnancy is going well. Morning sickness is the same. I have friends who were much sicker with a singleton than with twins.

At 6w5d you would still have a cyst on one of your ovaries (typical in pregnancies, helps make hormones until the placenta is big enough to take over). A cyst would look like a black circle on an ultrasound just like the sac with the baby. And the heartbeat is supposed to be a range, so anywhere from the 120s to the 160s would be normal and expected. Going from 162 to 134 sounds like the baby was just caught in a more active phase at one appointment. I'm not sure about the moving left to right thing, that could go either way I think.

I hope this doesn't sound discouraging, if you're hoping for twins! Based on just those reasons I wouldn't jump to any conclusions, but next time you go in I'd definitely ask the doctor about the left/right thing to set your mind at ease. They might have a good explanation or give you a more solid reason for ruling out twins.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page