Pregnant with Twins (or more!): Spring/Summer 2013 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 335 Old 03-22-2013, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
>>I will be16 weeks tomorrow, and i have gained 11 lbs. I was overweight to begin with, but Dr Luke still wants me to gain a bunch more! I think I need to gain 9 lbs in the next 4 weeks to hit her target range. I am trying not to be anxious about it, but it's difficult. I'm hungry often but I can't eat huge portions or anything. I am feeling frustrated and stalled out, and I don't want to resort to milk shakes or snickers bars because that is just not how I eat. And I'm nervous about GD! 

Thanks for letting me vent. <<

I have been extremely anxious about GD since last Monday, when my OB told me I had failed my glucose screening test (spectacularly - my score was 199). I told him I wanted to do the tolerance test regardless (I just didn't feel comfortable relying on one test for a final diagnosis) and he said it was completely unnecessary - there was no doubt I had GD. I thought guiltily back to the glasses of whole milk I'd been drinking as bedtime snacks, and the occasional breakfast bagel. With my first pregnancy, I never had any issues with blood sugar, but I thought I must not have been vigilant enough.

But since I was in the middle of switching providers (I just had my first appointment with my new OB yesterday), I scheduled the 3 hr GTT with my new OB's lab. Then I caught my toddler's stomach bug and was more concerned about staying hydrated and keeping down any kind of food than keeping off the carbs. The virus lasted for a week and was probably the worst GI illness I've ever dealt with. I was worried the whole time about this looming 3 hr test, whether I'd actually be well enough to take it or if the virus and not eating regularly would skew results ... So I finally felt better on Monday evening and took the test first thing Thursday morning. And I passed with flying colors! No evidence of GD. I'm not even borderline. I am so relieved.

I am feeling pretty great! I'm not even bummed about both babies being breech at yesterday's appointment (they were both vertex at last week's US) because with them wiggling so much, I'm hopeful they will wiggle back to Baby A being vertex.

I've just started reading Dr. Luke's book about multiples. I am nowhere near her recommended weight gain. I started off overweight (ok, technically obese) and am 14 pounds heavier (I lost a few pounds with the stomach virus but hope to regain those quickly). I'm at 28w5d. The twins are estimated to be the same size and between 50-60th percentiles. My old OB never even mentioned nutrition with me. I've been trying to get as much protein in as possible and am a little daunted by the total daily recommendations in Luke's book, but I'll keep trying. It's so much easier to focus on food intake now that I'm not worried about every single gram of carbohydrate.
#122 of 335 Old 03-22-2013, 08:40 PM

Hey jess, don't give up yet!  They still have time to turn!   I have heard of babies flipping as late as 36 weeks.  Yeah, it's good to prepare for a c/s, but you are not wasting your money on the chiropractor and acupuncturist.  Think of this as preparation for motherhood.  You will find as your babies get bigger that you doubt yourself alot, but you just have to push on and do your best.  You are doing everything in your power to have the best birth possible, but in the end some things are just out of your control.  Even if you do end up with a c/s, you can look back and say, "I tried everything I could".  That is alot easier to live with than regret.

#123 of 335 Old 03-23-2013, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

Rynkat, glad to hear you switched OBs, your first sounds like a trip. The 1hr is screening only, plenty of false positives from it! Glad you passed the three hour! I will say most OBs including mine know little about nutrition, especially for multiples!

Had a massage yesterday, oh that was nice, though I really haven't been hurting anywhere, but nice and relaxing and she showed me how to rub my legs to help with the slight ankle swelling I'm getting now. Baby boy seems happy in his head down position, baby girl/A is still flipping often, but has been back to head down at least twice since the first time. I will just have to wait and see! Work has been busy, making me tired, glad it is the weekend!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#124 of 335 Old 03-27-2013, 09:57 AM

Hello, everyone!

I've been MIA for a while, because I ended up having an emergency C-section with my girls due to a placenta abruption on Baby B. They were born at 28 weeks 4 days, on March 17, and Baby B actually came out earlier than her sister, and so ended up being the oldest :) They weighed 2lb9oz and 2lb7oz respectively, and both were 14 1/2 inches long. We named them Katherine Ruth and Elizabeth Anne. 

Now Elizabeth and Katherine face a long stay in NICU, but the doctors are optimistic about us taking home two healthy babies in the end. We were able to hold them both about 6 days after they were born, and the girls are receiving my milk via a tiny tube to their stomachs. 

Here are the pictures of the girls:

Elizabeth

and Katherine

MarcyWolfPack likes this.

Alina, married to David, due on 6/5/2013 with two baby girls partners.gif

#125 of 335 Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 PM

sophigirl, congratulations on your two sweet girls!  Modern medicine truly is amazing!  I just recently heard about placental abruption and I am curious about it.  Did you have any symptoms before you were in labor? 

Anyone else on here want to talk freezer cooking?  I am trying to get my act together and freeze a few gluten free/ dairy free meals each week.  Been having more braxton hicks when I am on my feet too long, so I've been resting ALOT.  They really started up after visiting the chiropractor- has this happened to anyone else?  Is is just coincidence?  I am 32 weeks now.  Makes me feel a sense of urgency to get everything ready! 

#126 of 335 Old 03-28-2013, 09:51 AM

Congratulations, Sophigirl!  Sounds like you've been through a scary time.  I love your girls' names.  Sending good wishes and prayers your way for an uneventful and as short as possible stay in the NICU. 

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#127 of 335 Old 03-28-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats Sophigirl! Your girls are beautiful smile.gif I hope their NICU stay goes smoothly and quickly and that you are recovering well too.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#128 of 335 Old 03-28-2013, 05:44 PM

2babies2kidsmom ~ I've been saving a bunch of freezer meal recipes on Pinterest like crazy!  I'm almost 28 weeks with lots of Braxton Hicks and feeling the same sense of urgency as you are.  My grandma is giving us a full size freezer next week so I'll be preparing for meals not just after the babies come, but for before the come too (I think I'm going to need them!)

Your girls are beautiful Sophigirl!  My thoughts and prayers are with you and their nurses!  

#129 of 335 Old 03-28-2013, 06:00 PM

Sophigirl - what a scary situation, but how wonderful that you have your two sweet girls to hold. I'm getting all emotional thinking about the milestones over the next few weeks for your healing and their growth. One day at a time. They are lovely.

AFM - I went into labor Monday morning and after some complications ended up with a C-section Tuesday morning. I'll get around to writing about it. At the moment I'd much rather focus on our darling daughters. Amarra Sedona and Sierra Lynn were delivered at 38 weeks 4 days. 5lbs 14oz and 5lbs 10oz respectively, 18" each. Aside from some preventative antibiotics that involved too many needle sticks for our liking everything is perfect. Breastfeeding has been a fun and rewarding challenge with the two of them. The nurses have been fantastically supportive and I'm glad to spend an extra night here in the hospital while we practice our schedule for at home. We are so in love with these babies and a bit overwhelmed by it all.

Wild crazy in love with DF hug.gif. Starting a family together with his pups dog2.gif, my cats cat.gif and our twin girls, born 3-26-13. familybed2.gif

#130 of 335 Old 03-28-2013, 06:52 PM

wow, babies! Congrats sophigirl and momma-bear!!! I am wishing you both the best and I can't wait to hear more about them and see pictures!

I'm 34 weeks 4 days today. Baby A is still breech, Baby B flipped at some point (how did I not notice?!) and is vertex. I think the visceral manipulation thing really helped them get moving more because they have been super wiggly. Our doula showed us some exercises/activities to do so we've been trying to do those 3 times a day, too. The hardest one is kneeling on a stool (only about a foot off the ground) and then very slowly get into a position with my chest/shoulders as low to the ground as possible. It is SO hard to do, and I don't have the upper body strength to heave myself back up so it takes two people to help me back. It's kind of scary so I'll admit we haven't done it often enough (plus we need an extra person to spot).

I had an OB appt on Tuesday and things look pretty good. I gained another 10lbs in 2 weeks so Dr was not happy about that. I've gained 50lbs so far. BP was good, no protein in urine, etc. Then on Wednesday night my ankles swelled up out of nowhere. OB says that's probably the 10lbs showing up. Now I've got my feet up at work as much as possible and I sit straightaway when I get home from work with my feet up. I don't really like the swelling and I'm not sure what to do about it - I've heard compression socks are good? Where do you buy those - maybe a pharmacy?

OB also scheduled my c-section (if Baby A is still breech) for April 24th. We had some negotiating since my and my brother's birthday is April 29, and our younger brother's birthday is April 26. I wanted to avoid all of those days :) Of course who knows if I'll make it that far but it was kind of a funny moment.

NST tomorrow and growth ultrasound Tuesday. I can't believe next week is April. I've said all along I want them to be April babies, and April is finally within reach *knock on wood*

Does anyone else's tailbone hurt? At work I sit really straight with good posture, but on the bus, in the car, on the couch I am slouching a bit I think and my tailbone hurts a lot. I think it's all the weight concentrated in my belly pressing back on my tailbone when I sit. I dunno. It's pretty irritating and painful, especially after an hour long bus ride. I keep adjusting myself to sit up straighter but the way the seats are it's pretty impossible.

First time mom to twin boys born April 24! luxlove.gif Owen & Wyatt luxlove.gif

#131 of 335 Old 03-28-2013, 07:03 PM

joy.gifcongrats momma-bear!! joy.gif

jess. it sounds like you're doing pretty well for 34 weeks. i hope baby A flips ASAP. c'mon, buddy! 

AFU - we're closing in on 17 weeks. i am not sure when, exactly, that happened, but here we are. i'm still concerned that i'm not gaining enough weight, but i am doing my best. my "delightful" new pregnancy experiences this week have been incredible heartburn that makes me think no other heartburn i've ever had in my life was actually heartburn.... and 12-hour charley horses. it's all pretty awesome! 

we're going on vacation soon. any travel tips for twin preggos? 

heartbeat.gif rainbow1284.gif wife (31) + wife (37) rainbow1284.gif heartbeat.gif & our three sons  bikenew.gifbabyf.gifbabyf.gif
#132 of 335 Old 03-29-2013, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats mama-bear!

jess, I've had some mild ankle swelling the past week or so too. I hope Baby A turns already! Compression stocking/socks are available at pharmacies, the trick is to put them on while you are still in bed in the morning before you get up so they can do their work well. I haven't busted mine out yet as the swelling has been so mild (I have some I wear for long plane trips as I travel for work often), but I might start wearing them next week.

mrandmrs, I hear you on the heartburn, I only had a bit with my first, but this pregnancy I have it much more often and it is much worse. Thank goodness a glass of milk usually kicks mine pretty quickly and tums work well otherwise! I haven't had any 12-hour charley horse (ow!!!) but I've had some short lasting leg cramps, one that actually woke me up last night eyesroll.gif For your travel, are you flying/driving/etc.? How long?

2babies2kidsmom, My freezer is tiny, so I'm not planning on freezing meals, but I'm sure I'll be buying some Stouffers here and there smile.gif And DH will keep up his cooking, he does 95% of it now anyway.

My OB appointment Wednesday was interesting, she started talking like the MFM might want to induce me early (like 36 or 37 weeks), but then backpedaled quickly when my stink-eye landed lol.gif She said for me since everything has been looking great, they probably wouldn't want to induce until 38 or 39 weeks. Personally, I don't plan on inducing without a reason besides TWINS, but we'll see what they have to say at my appointment next Wednesday. If there is a problem, that's totally different, but without indication, they are just di/di twins, not a bomb waiting to go off eyesroll.gif Babies are still moving around a lot, they are sometimes both head down, not sure where they are right now. Uterus was definitely stretching last night though to make more room for them, my belly is really sticking out a lot!

#133 of 335 Old 03-29-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinalla View Post

My OB appointment Wednesday was interesting, she started talking like the MFM might want to induce me early (like 36 or 37 weeks), but then backpedaled quickly when my stink-eye landed lol.gif She said for me since everything has been looking great, they probably wouldn't want to induce until 38 or 39 weeks. Personally, I don't plan on inducing without a reason besides TWINS, but we'll see what they have to say at my appointment next Wednesday. If there is a problem, that's totally different, but without indication, they are just di/di twins, not a bomb waiting to go off eyesroll.gif Babies are still moving around a lot, they are sometimes both head down, not sure where they are right now. Uterus was definitely stretching last night though to make more room for them, my belly is really sticking out a lot!

Inducing that early?! My OB said he'd schedule the c section at 39 weeks, and then that's where the negotiating came in since it's my birthday and there are other birthdays I wanted to avoid :) I can't imagine being induced that early...for me that would be in a little over a week! scary!!! haha

I'll look at the pharmacy for the socks. Everyone tells me the swelling is really mild, but if I happen to go all the way til the c section date I can imagine it getting worse over time so I think I would want to get on it sooner than later.

#134 of 335 Old 03-29-2013, 09:21 AM

quinalla - we're flying alllll the way across the country (seattle -> dc) and spending a week mostly walking around. i feel large and slow, but i dont have a lot of swelling or pain with movement, so hopefully if i just listen to my body and sit down when i want to, i'll be ok? and drink a lot of water, pack snacks, you know, the usual stuff i do for a day at the office? i hope i am not overlooking something crazy important.

i think we're going to get an inexpensive deep freezer for the garage before the babies come to fill with lasagna and stuff. i can't imagine us finding the time and energy to cook after they are here. 

jess, i hope your compression socks are awesome! it sounds like they could help a lot. 

my OB said they would let us go to 38 weeks and then "see how things are going." but if everything is fine they wouldn't pressure us to induce until 40 weeks. the doulas in town i have talked to seem to think there is very little chance of us getting a vaginal birth with this ob practice though, so we're talking about moving to an OB the next town over (tacoma, for your reference, jess) who is more 'natural birth friendly.' i am kind of overwhelmed thinking about changing providers, but i guess it's better to do it sooner rather than later? i am not stoked about driving 30 extra minutes for an appt but .... you all know what i'm going through, i'm sure. 

heartbeat.gif rainbow1284.gif wife (31) + wife (37) rainbow1284.gif heartbeat.gif & our three sons  bikenew.gifbabyf.gifbabyf.gif
#135 of 335 Old 03-29-2013, 12:58 PM

Mrs- SWITCH NOW! No matter how overwhelming it feels, I guarantee you it will feel far more overwhelming at 35 weeks when you're fighting your practice on one thing or another.

AFM (and I'm not sure I ever filled out an intro questionnaire, but I'm 35 weeks with di/di twins!), we just met the OB who will back up our midwife and were not thrilled. Ugh.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#136 of 335 Old 03-29-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Jess, I know right, I am pretty sure she was just trying to prepare me if something went wrong, whatever, I'm not inducing that early without good reason! Yeah, may as well get the socks, nice for traveling In the future too.

Mrandmrs, only other thing would be to get up and walk around at least a couple times on the flight, but you may have to to pee anyway and drink plenty as planes are DRY! Otherwise sounds like a great plan to me. If you want to switch, sooner would be better I would think!

Knittingtigers, hi and sorry your back up OB is not great, hopefully you won't need 'em!

#137 of 335 Old 03-29-2013, 08:55 PM

Congrats momma bear!  Can't wait to read more details about the birth! 

Jess, what is visceral manipulation?  My babies are both still breech.  Have my next appt with the chiropractor Tuesday.

Quinalla, I can't believe they want to induce that early!  My OB said 38 weeks, but she could tell I didn't like hearing that.  She said part of the reason she is concerned is b/c I live 2 hours from the hospital.  So I might have to stay in town when I get closer to my due date.  I know every pregnancy is different but I never had trouble getting to the birth place in time for my other two births. 

Mrsandmrs- I hear you on the heartburn!  With twins all the normal annoyances of pregnancy are definitely multiplied.  I knew something was up before we found out it was twins because I had worse morning sickness, digestive issues, anxiety, heartburn, fatigue, and leg cramps waking me up every night, even though I was supplementing with extra calcium, magnesium, and zinc.  I started drinking about 4 glasses of raw milk a day, sometimes blended with a banana, and that definitely helped.  We just ran out this morning and I wish I had some now- heartburn is back!  Also, I wouldn't worry about the weight gain unless your doc is concerned.  I only put on about 15 pounds by my 24 weeks appt and I have more than made up for it in the last trimester. 

Knitting Tiger- are you planning a homebirth? 

I am making progress on the freezer meals, although tonight I had to lay down and leave the dishes for tomorrow because I started having contractions.  So far I have:

-1 (unbaked) baked oatmeal

-2 (unbaked) sausage and egg casseroles

-1 (unbaked) meatloaf

-1 (unbaked) pan cabbage rolls

-some cooked diced chicken

-enough cooked ground beef for 2 meals worth of tacos

-about 6 cups butternut squash soup

-mixed up some gf flours for 1 batch chocolate chip cookies and 1 batch brownies

Next week after I go grocery shopping for ingredients I'm hoping to make some breakfast burritos, a southwestern beef and noodle casserole, tamale pie, an italian sausage and noodle casserole, and maybe a ham and egg casserole (with Easter leftovers).  We have a chest freezer and it is so handy, especially since we live so far from the grocery store.

#138 of 335 Old 03-29-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsandmrs View Post

jess. it sounds like you're doing pretty well for 34 weeks. i hope baby A flips ASAP. c'mon, buddy! 

we're going on vacation soon. any travel tips for twin preggos? 

I know, I hope something works. We are trying everything!

I went on a trip from Seattle to Iowa via Denver for a week at around 17 weeks. I was on Zofran at the time for nausea, and I probably could have stopped it by then but I was worried it would come back full force so I stopped taking it after the trip. I did a lot of walking and was under a lot of stress (visiting family and my grandma in the hospital) and was totally fine. I made a point to drink a TON of water and always have a purse full of snacks on me, too.

On the plane, I had the worst sinus pain I've ever had in my life - like needles going into my eyeball for a few minutes and then my sinuses were sore for a few days! I'm not sure if it was just random, or pregnancy related. I also had an episode of low blood pressure where I almost passed out. Definitely eat and drink a lot when you're on the plane!

#139 of 335 Old 03-30-2013, 06:56 AM

So last night I thought I felt hiccups way down there on Baby A's side!  I think she might have flipped!  My next u/s isn't for 2 more weeks, and my next chiro appt is Tuesday.  Is it safe to do the Webster technique when baby is head down?

#140 of 335 Old 03-30-2013, 06:16 PM

Just a quick update while the babies nap. Breast pump saved my life today! My milk came in fully last night and my girls were only nursing for short sessions. I was in so much pain. Ran to the store to buy a bigger nursing bra. When I went to try one on I practically started squirting breast milk all over the changing room. I had to hold pads on my boobs while my mom came in and strapped the bra on me. Someday I'll laugh at that. Just not today.
Went home nursed one baby, pumped 9.5 oz of milk over the next 20min, then STILL had plenty to nurse the next baby to sleep. Finally, finally the pain subsided. So to any first time moms who don't plan on pumping, I recommend at least a basic manual pump for engorgement.

Wild crazy in love with DF hug.gif. Starting a family together with his pups dog2.gif, my cats cat.gif and our twin girls, born 3-26-13. familybed2.gif

#141 of 335 Old 04-01-2013, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

2babies2kidsmoms, yeah it would be silly early, I'll speak to the MFM when I'm in Wednesday (not that I see the same doctor when I'm there anyway) and see what they say. So far they have been totally chill, so we'll see! I can sort of understand being worried about you being far away, but staying in town sounds like a much better solution to me! Mmm, your freezer meals sound awesome. If I had room, I'd totally fill mine with soup smile.gif Glad to hear it sounds like baby A is head down. I don't know much about the Webster technique so not sure!

momma-bear, you go momma! That's a lot of milk smile.gif Glad you had your pump handy.. Hopefully your supply stays abundant, but maybe not quite that abundant smile.gif Sorry about the not fun times in the changing room, glad your mom was there to help out. Is it weird that I'm kind of hoping I have those milk squiring everywhere moments this time? I never did last time and I hope my supply isn't trying to be so flipping efficient this time! Two babies body, make sure you make enough and some extra too so I don't have to work so hard to pump!

My babies seem to be flipping less, I think they are both head down now, will get to confirm Wednesday at the MFM. All our renovations are done so we got the cribs set up this weekend and I got all the newborn & 0-3m clothes freshly washed, though I want to get some shelf liners in the drawers before I put them away as the drawers are a little rough (it's a hand-me-down dresser that has been at my parents' house for ages) and I also got the changing table all stocked, omg N diapers are so tiny! Now I just want to get the pack-n-plays up, get some under crib storage for sheets & blankets & whatnot, buy a few more things locally: need a night light, wipes, some more diapers, infant acetaminophen, one more bouncy seat and 2 more water proof crib protectors. I ordered the double stroller + some other random things I still needed this weekend from Amazon and I also need to stock up on some household items and I'll be pretty set. I did pack my hospital bag this weekend and I'll want to get the carseats installed soonish, probably next weekend. We also got the kitchen partially put back together, we're still figuring out how best to use the space and getting stuff from the container store and all that, but we can cook again and the new kitchen is so nice! DH and I are both so happy we did it.

#142 of 335 Old 04-01-2013, 12:37 PM

Congrats to new mamas and best wishes for your babies in the NICU.

Quinalla, it sounds like you are in full nesting mode! I am meeting up w a mom today to purchase an Ergo carrier for sale on Craigslist. Found a Bob Duallie on CL as well. Still have to find a dresser to use as a changing table for our room. And figure out sleeping arrangements (whether to transition toddler to a twin bed ASAP - ha - so we can use his crib, or use our mini Arms Reach for the limited time both twins will fit inside). But at least we've figured out our car seat conundrum - we managed to fit three seats in the back row of our 2001 Outback! If I've already mentioned that, I apologize. I just feel like we should get a medal for that technical and acrobatic feat. I have fantasies of discovering some kind of "write an essay and win a minivan with four wheel drive" contest in the next few weeks.

2babies2kids, you sound so industrious! I am afraid to start freezing meals because it means I have to clean out the chest freezer in the garage - we have some ooooold and scary salmon that needs to be chucked.

Mrsandmrs, I am so surprised to hear that you'd have to go to Tacoma to find a VB-friendly OB practice. I've been comparing Interior Alaska's "frontier medicine" mentality to this idealized vision of medical practice in Seattle in my head, and wishing I could give birth in Seattle instead. I have a new OB I am happy with (or at least not unhappy with) but I'm still coming to terms with having to deliver in the OR on a cold hard table potentially with epidural. I am looking for any advice on keeping comfortable and active in that situation. That is, if Baby A turns vertex and I get to avoid a CS.

Anyone else having pubic symphysis pain? Sometimes when I turn from side to side in bed at night, I can hear the joint "click". I totally freaked my husband out last night when that happened.

Also, anyone have any recommendations on fish oil/omega-3/DHA supplements? If only I could somehow safely turn that rotting salmon in the freezer into supplement form...
#143 of 335 Old 04-01-2013, 09:23 PM

My doula gave us tips for getting the babies to flip, but so far I haven't felt anything monumental that might be considered a flip. One of the moves is really scary - I kneel on a low stool and then bend over to the floor as low as I can get. It's really uncomfortable, hard to breathe, and I cannot get up without two people helping me. ugh, I hate it.

I went for acupuncture and moxibustion today, and my husband did the moxibustion again tonight. We're supposed to it one more time before our ultrasound appointment tomorrow (usually twice a day, but the appt is in the morning so we'll only get one in) and see if Baby A has flipped by then. We'll see. I'm not super hopeful. I guess the treatment is most effective for singletons at 33-35 weeks and being 35 weeks with two doesn't make me that optimistic.

My swelling has gotten better with the more water I drink and the more I keep my feet up.

I've recently developed some horrible pain in my pelvis, kind of off to the right of center. It's worse in the evening and makes it almost impossible to walk. Rolling over in bed or anything involving lifting my leg is pretty painful, too. I'm going to ask my doctor next week when I see him, but has anyone felt anything similar?

I'm working on finishing up the hospital bag and we're working on the last minute general to-do list. I haven't had any indications babies are coming anytime soon, so I'm feeling kind of in limbo waiting for them and not very rushed! I'm kind of feeling a mixture of anxious and panicky and excited and waiting for it to be over.

I guess that's it for me. It seems like everyone is hanging in there! We have a growth ultrasound and then a NST and fluid check tomorrow, so maybe I'll update then. I'm hoping for some cute ultrasound pictures that I can share. :)

#144 of 335 Old 04-02-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

rynkat, oh yeah, definitely in full nesting mode. I was "on hold" for so long with the remodel we did that I'm having a nesting explosion! We'll probably finish up most things this weekend and then the last minute things (setting up pack-n-plays, etc.) can always wait for DH to do when I'm in the hospital or whatever so I don't really worry about that junk too much. I like Carlson Labs for fish oil.

jess, that sounds like the inversion to me, I usually do it from a couch instead of a stool. I hope those babies flip for you! I'm anxious to see if mine really are head down as I think they are now! That pain sounds ouchy, nothing I've experienced, could be RLP or something else. I hear you about feeling a bit in limbo, I'm definitely being pulled between so much time left and they will be here soon feelings!

Have another growth ultrasound tomorrow, so I'll get to confirm if the babies are both head down and how they are doing. Going to pick up some shelf liner today so I can get the dresser all stocked with teeny-tiny clothes smile.gif Most of my Amazon purchases came today, still waiting on a few but they'll probably show up this week as we get deliveries really quickly here.

#145 of 335 Old 04-02-2013, 05:52 PM

Had a growth ultrasound today and Baby A is still breech and hasn't budged an inch. I'm losing hope and not sure if I should bother continuing to spend money on chiro, acupuncture, etc treatments. (I do have the mugwort stick and things to do at home I could continue with).

In good news, both are nice sizes, not quite as fat as they were but still measuring ahead, although the range is now about "give or take a pound". Fluid looked good - A had 3.4 and B had 4.4, although if I remember right it's down from last week (I wanna say it was 5 or so for each?). Cervix is still 2.8 and closed, and NST today passed with flying colors. Good BP (115/77) and very minimal swelling. We didn't get any pictures because they are so squished in there, darn :) Looks like they are content to hang out in there, even if my belly hurts, my pelvis hurts, and I'm tired (and tired of being pregnant moreso!)!

Looks like I'll keep working until they start making more of a fuss! I'd rather use my sick time for when they arrive rather than just hanging out at home if I'm perfectly capable of working! My current problem is trying to figure out how to get to work now that my belly is about 2 inches from the steering wheel...

#146 of 335 Old 04-03-2013, 06:13 AM

jess, i hear you about getting discouraged with the chiro, etc.  I haven't tried the acupuncture yet.  I had an appointment yesterday, just met with the midwife at the practice, and she thought Baby A was still breech just from feeling around with her hands.  The chiropractor said we still had time, that he's had women who get really really close to their due date and they start coming in 3 times a week and then the baby flips.  Not sure if he was talking about twins though.

I have no idea what that pain means.  When I was having trouble with BV and yeast earlier in the pregnancy my lady parts hurt alot.  It was painful to walk.  But that was wayyy down there. 

So, cervical checks during prenatal care: does your provider do them regularly?  My SIL (who also used my doctor with her last baby) said this doc starts doing checks at 36 weeks.  My midwife with my fist two babies never did them routinely, although I did request one with my second baby at 36 weeks.  I'm not sure I believe they can really tell when you're going to go into labor anyway.  And I don't see any benefit to doing them just because it's twins.  Any thoughts?

Oh, I almost forgot to tell my brain fart story!  I met a lady yesterday who was a twin herself.  She told me she had a brother.  Then I asked her if they were identical or fraternal.  She just gave me the strangest look and I realized my mistake.  I said, 'Wait, why am I asking you that?  I know better!'  I felt like such a ditz because I am expecting a boy and girl!  Like, duh!  I just had to laugh at myself though.

#147 of 335 Old 04-03-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

jess, sorry that Baby A is still breech, flip baby!! Glad they are measuring well smile.gif I understand feeling discouraged greensad.gif Glad they are being good about staying inside too even though I totally understand starting to feel ready to be done!

2babies2kidsmom, that is too funny about your brain fart story, blame pregnancy brain IMO! I think for my last one my OB started doing cervical checks at 36 or 37 weeks. I too think they are pretty pointless, I guess maybe if you were dilated a lot and didn't know it that might be good to know, but if you are 1-2 cm and whatever effaced, that means nothing even in a first pregnancy. I was maybe 1cm dialated and ~50% effaced at 37w2d last time and went into labor at 38w, so yeah smile.gif

My MFM appointment went pretty well except for them taking 40m to get me back there, grr! The babies sizes are further apart than they were, but also the tech was having trouble getting good measurements on my girl (baby A) as she is back to her butt in my cervix (she moved around a bunch last night again, she is a squirmy one and I was worried she was back to her fav position!) and all twisted, so I'm not that worried and the MFM wasn't either. Girl was supposedly 4lbs which is still good and boy was 4lb13oz and he's being good and is vertex. Anyway, they scheduled me back for 2 weeks to recheck growth to make sure they don't get too much further apart, but he said they are still under 20% apart which is fine as one usually is ahead as one has a better placenta spot. So we'll see, but I'm not going to worry, just make more of an effort to eat well as I've been slacking a bit these past couple weeks with all the renovations and having no kitchen.

I didn't even talk to them about inducing early as I saw a guy this time I've never seen before so /shrug. I'm just going to not worry about it unless an issue comes up and if they want to induce me early for no reason, I have no problem saying no thanks!

#148 of 335 Old 04-03-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2babies2kidsmom View Post

jess, i hear you about getting discouraged with the chiro, etc.  I haven't tried the acupuncture yet.  I had an appointment yesterday, just met with the midwife at the practice, and she thought Baby A was still breech just from feeling around with her hands.  The chiropractor said we still had time, that he's had women who get really really close to their due date and they start coming in 3 times a week and then the baby flips.  Not sure if he was talking about twins though.

I have no idea what that pain means.  When I was having trouble with BV and yeast earlier in the pregnancy my lady parts hurt alot.  It was painful to walk.  But that was wayyy down there. 

So, cervical checks during prenatal care: does your provider do them regularly?  My SIL (who also used my doctor with her last baby) said this doc starts doing checks at 36 weeks.  My midwife with my fist two babies never did them routinely, although I did request one with my second baby at 36 weeks.  I'm not sure I believe they can really tell when you're going to go into labor anyway.  And I don't see any benefit to doing them just because it's twins.  Any thoughts?

Oh, I almost forgot to tell my brain fart story!  I met a lady yesterday who was a twin herself.  She told me she had a brother.  Then I asked her if they were identical or fraternal.  She just gave me the strangest look and I realized my mistake.  I said, 'Wait, why am I asking you that?  I know better!'  I felt like such a ditz because I am expecting a boy and girl!  Like, duh!  I just had to laugh at myself though.

That's interesting, I wonder if I was going more often if it would help. I've been doing the mugwort stick twice a day. hmmm!

I think I've self-identified it as SPD, based on what others have said about it and the symptoms I've read about. I'm going to ask my doc next week, but it sounds like there's not much to do about it except continue to wear my maternity belt. At least I didn't get it earlier on!

I have only had two cervical checks via ultrasound, one when my doc was concerned that I was having too many Braxton Hicks around 32ish weeks and the one yesterday. My understanding is that Braxton Hicks could change your cervix, and they want to keep an eye out for funneling and any changes. A lady in my twins class had her cervix go down to 1.9cm or something at 29 weeks, so she was put on bed rest. I guess the reason is worrying about pre-term labor, but at the same time I haven't heard about it being used to tell when you're going to go into labor.

Now that is really funny, especially since you are having a boy and a girl yourself! My brother and I always get those comments, although I don't think I've ever gotten one from a fellow twin or a parent of twins. haha!

#149 of 335 Old 04-04-2013, 09:26 AM

for those that were looking so fun non baggy clothing, that company Lilac i mentioned is on the steal of the day at babysteals. i have many of their shirts and still wear them 2 yaers later and they are still super comfy and flattering.

Today only (or ask me how to hack into the archive if some if left over after 9pm central time when they switch to something else)

http://baby.steals.com/?utm_source=ci&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=learn_more

fyi i was much less impressed with their pants, the jeans were tight too hi up and cut into my bladder and belly, and hte belly band was not yummy or stretchy  like the shirt are 

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#150 of 335 Old 04-04-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

for those that were looking so fun non baggy clothing, that company Lilac i mentioned is on the steal of the day at babysteals. i have many of their shirts and still wear them 2 yaers later and they are still super comfy and flattering.

Today only (or ask me how to hack into the archive if some if left over after 9pm central time when they switch to something else)
http://baby.steals.com/?utm_source=ci&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=learn_more

fyi i was much less impressed with their pants, the jeans were tight too hi up and cut into my bladder and belly, and hte belly band was not yummy or stretchy  like the shirt are 

Wish I had money. Those tops are cute. greensad.gif

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Tags
Pregnancy , Parenting Multiples

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page