Mothering Forum banner

Pregnant with Twins (or more!): Spring/Summer 2013

50K views 334 replies 28 participants last post by  mrsandmrs 
#1 ·
Hey all, thought I would start a new thread as some have expressed interest in a new one that can be updated. Anyone is welcome to hang out and if you want your stats posted and fall outside Spring/Summer that's fine too, just let me know! I'll be following the thread closely until my twins are born, then no guarantees
smile.gif
I copied over the spring information, but please check and update as needed. Again, we'll used 40w EDD as that is easiest, even though many will go much earlier. Here are the questions from the last thread, feel free to repost your answers:

Name? (if you feel like it)

You and maybe your partners age at the birth?

Are the babies Mono or Di or what combo of both?

What number of kids will is be for you?

Sexes? Will you be finding out?

EDD and or planned birth timing?

State you live in?

Anything else you want to share?

Spring

JessMN (Jessica) - EDD: 5/5/13 - DiDi - 1st & 2nd children - 2 Boys
Coome - EDD: 5/5/13 - DiDi - 2nd & 3rd children - ?
Knitting Tigers - EDD: Mid May - Di/Di - 2nd & 3rd children - ?
2babies2kidsmom (Dem) - EDD: 5/20/13 - DiDi - 3rd & 4th children - 1 Girl & 1 Boy
Quinalla (Katie) - EDD: 5/24/13 - DiDi - 2nd & 3rd children - 1 Girl & 1 Boy
ilovemygirl - EDD: 6/4/13 - DiDi - 2nd & 3rd children - 2 Girls
rynkat - EDD: 6/9/13 - MonoDi - 2nd & 3rd children - 2 Girls
aprilv (April) - EDD: 6/24/13 - ? - 3rd & 4th children - 2 Boys
MarcyWolfPack (Marcy) - EDD: 6/25/13 - DiDi - 6th & 7th children - 1 Girl & 1 Boy

Summer

yallcomeback - EDD: 7/13/13 - DiDi - 3rd & 4th children - 1 Girl & 1 Boy
AngelBee (Angela) - EDD: 7/28/13 - ?/Di - 8th & 9th children - ?
Southernmommie - EDD: 8/9/13 - Di/Di - 6th & 7th children - ? 1 Girl & 1 Boy
mrsandmrs (Angela) - EDD: 9/6/13 - Di/Di - 2nd & 3rd children - 2 Boys

Congratulations - Babies are here!

Sophigirl - 3/17/13 (28w4d) - 2 Girls - Katherine Ruth and Elizabeth Anne
momma-bear - 3/26/13 (38w4d) - 2 Girls - Amarra Sedona and Sierra Lynn

See less See more
Reactions: lark7usa
#102 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinalla View Post

jessmn, so glad the kidney is looking normal now and your iron is better! And baby A is the same size as my DD when she was born, so woohoo there
smile.gif
  • Hmm, the Baby A cord from what I've seen is pretty standard even though I don't like it, but it isn't one I would probably argue too much on.
  • Regarding your doula in the operating room, can you talk to the anesthesiologist(s) ahead of time? Probably not, but that sucks if your doula is not going to be able to come in.
  • As far as when to come to the hospital, that's something I've been thinking about myself. I want to wait until I'm in good active labor, but I also think maybe I should get there a little quicker than last time, hmm.
  • So you'll be given antibiotics regardless? Can they not test you for GBS early and then retest if needed? I would not want unnecessary antibiotics as that can lead to thrush which from what I hear sucks a lot! Also means IV for sure, but my guess is they will push that anyway.
I personally want to avoid epidurals, my OB earlier when we were talking seemed to be fine with not having to have one for a just-in-case, but I need to chat with her again and make sure. I don't like anesthesia and I want to be able to feel labor. I'm kind of just wanting to get to the hospital pretty late again so that most of this will just be a moot point because oh it's time to push now! Though I don't think they'll have me sitting in triage for as long if at all this time, dunno, should be interesting to see how the staff is with twins vs. singleton. Grats on being a model pregnant lady, I have been so far too! Not sure on videos, but I think it is a good idea to watch a few, I know there are tons out there on youtube and probably some twin ones as well. If I have time, I'll see what I can find tonight!
I don't think I can talk to the anesthesiologist ahead of time, but I guess if I know I'm going to have a c section, everything will be scheduled and maybe there's an increased chance of being able to ask if both can be there.

Gosh I'm so anxious about contractions that I can't imagine waiting to go to the hospital. I'm probably going to be one of those people that wants to go straight there right away. Of course if they are breech maybe I should...I don't know. I'm not clear yet on what I should do if Baby A is breech or not.

It sounds like if I go into labor before they test for it at 36 weeks, they they treat me as if I have it. I should have asked about being tested multiple times, I didn't know that was possible! I would really like to avoid unnecessary antibiotics - my body hates them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2babies2kidsmom View Post

Jess, good luck getting the babies to turn. I am also going to start talking to chiropractors in my area.

I am going to do the Group B Strep test several times, just in case I go into labor early. Both my other labors started with my waters breaking, and the first time I hadn't had the test yet, so I had to get the antibiotics. My OB is fine with me taking the test early but she said the results are only good for a couple of weeks. I'm planning to do it at my 33 week and 35 week appointments. The more I learn about antibiotics the more I want to avoid them if possible.

My doula told me the best way to avoid intervention is to wait as long as possible to go to the hospital. Are you hoping for a natural birth or are you planning to get pain meds? (Not judging either way).

I am also a little confused about the spinal/epidural. I have read the spinal is safer, and when I asked my OB she said that's what they use for non-emergency C/Section, not epidural. But I have also read part of the reason the hospitals want you to get an epidural when you're having twins is in case you need a c/section. So do they use epidurals for c/section or not? My plan, if I am able to have a vaginal birth, is to skip the epidural and just have general anesthesia in case of emergency c/section. But my OB is only comfortable with that because this is not my first birth, so we know my pain tolerance is pretty high and my uterus is already stretchy.
Thanks, I hope I can get something to work. They sure wiggle around a lot, so sometimes I'm hopeful when they're doing that.

I hadn't thought of doing the test multiple times. I'm going to ask before my next appointment if I can do it when I'm in next. That will be 34 weeks and then I think I go weekly. Is it a blood test or do you know? I definitely want to avoid antibiotics, too. Icky.

My understanding is that they can use the epidural for a regular delivery with A and then turn it up for a c section with B if necessary. I think the spinal is quicker? and it's a one-needle thing, as I understand it, while an epidural gives continuous drugs. My doc didn't say anything about a spinal being the method for a non emergency c section, but then again he said we'd talk more about options at the next appointment.

I don't like the idea of any drugs, but I feel a bit cornered with twins. I would like to avoid being completely knocked out in the event Baby B needs a c section so to me the only option is to have the epidural for Baby A. I understand I can have the line in, but I can walk around and do whatever until Baby A is really ready to come, and turn it on. My doctor said there is not enough time between A and B for them to let me have A naturally and then in the event B needs a c section, turn on the epidural, so they would have to totally knock me out. I've never had any kind of hospital visit or surgery or numbness besides going to the dentist so all of these options make me very anxious. :/ I guess I'm most afraid of being totally knocked out because of the complete loss of control and awareness, whereas with an epidural at least I'm still there.

#103 ·
GBS is a swab of your vagina, so no needles! I don't see why they couldn't do it at least one extra time.

It is a tough call on drugs with twins for sure, something I've been thinking about too, but leaning toward planning on general anestesia if there is an actual emergency c-section needed. I got put under for my wisdom teeth, so I have experience with that, and it is so rare the it would be an actual need for an emergency c-section.

ETA: And by emergency, I mean RIGHT NOW, sometimes they may need to do a c-section, but have time to let an epidural/spinal do its work. Was typing on my ipad at home last night and forgot to add this
smile.gif

#104 ·
Flipping babies vibes and prayers for eveyone.
joy.gif
:

#105 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sophigirl View Post

Brambleberry, I am planning on line-drying mine, too - several friends who are doing CD told me that it's actually better for the diapers. The sun is supposed to bleach them and do other good things for them :) Incidentally, do you have an HE washer or a regular kind? I have HE, and worry that the amount of water involved in the washing process might not be enough for flushing all the detergent out.

We do have an HE. I feel like it does a really good job on it's super wash setting with an extra rinse. Because the diapers are damp they weigh a lot more than a similar size load of dry clothes, so the washer treats it like it's a larger load.

#106 ·
Has anyone ever heard or tried visceral manipulation for flipping breech babies? In my search for a Webster chiro, I found one that does it but also finds success with this other method. I went ahead and made an appointment but am looking for others' experiences.

#108 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessmn View Post

Has anyone ever heard or tried visceral manipulation for flipping breech babies? In my search for a Webster chiro, I found one that does it but also finds success with this other method. I went ahead and made an appointment but am looking for others' experiences.
"visceral" ??? I assume this would be the same as an external version vs an internal one (hand actually inside the uterus) done during labor? A good friend of mine said that the chiro had one hand on her stomach and the other fist deep in her vagina. Sorry if that's TMI. I haven't heard of anybody willing to do this with multiples. Curious to hear what the Chiro suggests. Good luck!

#109 ·
I'm curious to see how your chiro visit goes jess, keep us posted!

Babies definitely have moved again, but I'm not sure where they are now as they must be turned a different direction or just squished up differently as I feel movements, but generally not as obvious what is kicks and what is other stuff. I did feel some hiccups down low this weekend, but also felt what I thought were some kicks down low too, so who knows! I'm trying to not sweat it too much yet as they obviously can still move around fine, but I'll keep doing the inversion and ge plenty of hands & knees times and try to go swimming sometime here in the near future too.

#110 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma-bear View Post

"visceral" ??? I assume this would be the same as an external version vs an internal one (hand actually inside the uterus) done during labor? A good friend of mine said that the chiro had one hand on her stomach and the other fist deep in her vagina. Sorry if that's TMI. I haven't heard of anybody willing to do this with multiples. Curious to hear what the Chiro suggests. Good luck!
oh dear I don't think that's what he meant. At least I hope not! He said it was gentle and there were no risks, so I don't think it's like an external version. But I don't know. I'll definitely be asking a million questions before I do anything! I may end up just getting the chiro Webster technique and skipping the visceral manipulation part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinalla View Post

I'm curious to see how your chiro visit goes jess, keep us posted!

Babies definitely have moved again, but I'm not sure where they are now as they must be turned a different direction or just squished up differently as I feel movements, but generally not as obvious what is kicks and what is other stuff. I did feel some hiccups down low this weekend, but also felt what I thought were some kicks down low too, so who knows! I'm trying to not sweat it too much yet as they obviously can still move around fine, but I'll keep doing the inversion and ge plenty of hands & knees times and try to go swimming sometime here in the near future too.
will do!

Can you feel them move to new positions? I remember when mine moved around 28ish weeks, it was quite the racket in there and I told my husband, "I think they did something major" and the lo and behold at the next appt they were in new positions. I keep feeling some strong movements but then hiccups again in the same spots, so I get a little sad :( move babies!!! I hope yours move soon. I keep meaning to get into the pool. Do you have a maternity swimsuit or what do you wear? My brother (a lifeguard and swim instructor) assures me that I can wear guys board shorts and a tshirt but I don't know...

#111 ·
Oh yeah, I can feel when they make big movements, though yeah sometimes it's like they just flip 360 and end up in the same place
eyesroll.gif

I do have a maternity swimsuit, my cousin who sent me a boatload of maternity clothes with my 1st pregnancy had one, but I don't know if it will fit now as my tummy is pretty big. I'd probably just wear a two piece, though I'm not sure if my boobs will fit into any of mine anymore, but I have some that are decently stretchy. I could always buy a cheap new one. And if you are not feeling like "showing off" you could wear a t-shirt & shorts no problem, though I would want a bra or 2-piece swimsuit top on under the shirt for comfort.

#112 ·
Had my 31 week appointment yesterday. Both babies are now breech. The doctor doesn't think there is anything she or I can do to turn them except "talk to them". That is why I wish there was a midwife in the area who would attend a twin homebirth.... Anyway, I visited the chiropractor right afterwards. He did the Webster technique. I don't think it moved the babies much but it felt okay.

#113 ·
Hi ladies. I hope all is well with all of you. I know I haven't been very active on this thread but I'd like to ask for some advice. I'm currently 29 weeks with my twins and am getting braxton hicks a lot. There isn't a regular pattern or anything but it's enough that it's really worrisome. I'm really not one to panic but I just feel awful the last few days and I know that I should being so huge and pregnant but I just have this feeling of something being off. I keep thinking it's nothing to be really scared that I'm missing preterm labor signs. My next appointment is in five days. I'm sure I could get squeezed in but do I really need to?

Is this happening to anyone else?

#114 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemygirl View Post

Hi ladies. I hope all is well with all of you. I know I haven't been very active on this thread but I'd like to ask for some advice. I'm currently 29 weeks with my twins and am getting braxton hicks a lot. There isn't a regular pattern or anything but it's enough that it's really worrisome. I'm really not one to panic but I just feel awful the last few days and I know that I should being so huge and pregnant but I just have this feeling of something being off. I keep thinking it's nothing to be really scared that I'm missing preterm labor signs. My next appointment is in five days. I'm sure I could get squeezed in but do I really need to?

This was happening to me around the same time with my twins. It seemed like every time I stood up for more than 10min BH would start. My doc said that it is very common for twin Moms to experience these contractions earlier than with a singleton pregnancy. I think I was around 32 weeks when I broke down and went to triage because of some watery discharge I worried was amniotic fluid plus the BH. An ultrasound tech checked my cervical length and the nurses ran a fetal fibronectin test. Every thing was fine and I did feel a little silly, but also relieved. I'm usually really good at reading my body. But pregnancy is a first for me and the second you find out twins EVERYBODY starts saying " oh well expect them early.", "prepare for premies." Well, here I am about to go to my 38 week appt with no signs of the twins being ready to come out, lol.

Advice that helped me was to focus on nutrition, drink more water than you'd ever want to and take rests whenever you can. It doesn't hurt to at least call the doc for some peace of mind too. *Hugs

#115 ·
2babies2kidsmom, I hope your babies turn for you! I know I have a long torso so more room than some, but mine are definitely still moving around a lot and I am 31 weeks tomorrow.

ilovemygirl, if you are having more than 4 in an hour and drinking a big glass of water and laying down aren't getting rid of them, I'd call your doctor, that's been my guide so far, but I've also been having no more than 4 a day total, most days 1, except once when I let myself get dehadrated too much. I definitely tend to have them when either my bladder is really full or I'm not drinking enough (ie constantly). So yeah, now I'm drinking and peeing constantly, but my BHs mostly stay away too!

So my babies were both head down last night for awhile (hiccups in the cervix & kicks in my ribs & so on confirmed it), but by this morning, baby A (my girl) is back to transverse again
eyesroll.gif
She really likes to flip around, but at least she could get there once, so hopefully she'll get there again. They still seem to have plenty of room, so I'll keep doing the inversion from spinning babies and hands & knees often and hope they get with the program!

#116 ·
it seems like everyone in this group is getting so close to baby time. it is really exciting to hear about all the babies flipping around!

I will be16 weeks tomorrow, and i have gained 11 lbs. I was overweight to begin with, but Dr Luke still wants me to gain a bunch more! I think I need to gain 9 lbs in the next 4 weeks to hit her target range. I am trying not to be anxious about it, but it's difficult. I'm hungry often but I can't eat huge portions or anything. I am feeling frustrated and stalled out, and I don't want to resort to milk shakes or snickers bars because that is just not how I eat. And I'm nervous about GD!

Thanks for letting me vent.

#117 ·
One of my twin books said that just feeling like something off is a good reason to go in. They told the story of one lady who just "knew something was wrong" and that was the only clue she was in preterm labor. I wish I could remember which book it was, maybe Dr. Luke's book? Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

#118 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemygirl View Post

I went through that, too. You might just go to the triage and get monitored for the heck of it, for the peace of mind. They'll probably tell you to drink more water and lay down, but you wouldn't want to be missing any signs that early. I think I had that same thing happen around 30/31 weeks and then it went away. I don't know if it was a growth spurt or I was doing too much or what.

#119 ·
Thought I'd update about the visceral manipulation. It sounds way more severe than it is - it's like a light pressure on points of your body to help release tension on the ligaments (I think that's right?) that hold your uterus to your pelvis. It's a similar idea to the Webster Technique, which works on two of these ligaments to get things aligned. So we'll see. I had a NST today and the nurse wasn't too optimistic about either flipping - with Baby A frank breech and Baby B transverse over top of him. *sigh*

I am 33 weeks 4 days now, both babies are large, and I'm not a big person, either, so we'll see. I want to see an acupuncturist and get the actual Webster Technique done on top of the spinning babies' ideas, but I'm starting to lose hope. I'm afraid I'm blowing through money when my fate is already decided. :/ Am I being negative or should I keep hope that they might flip?

If you were facing the reality of a c-section, what would you do to prepare? I'm terrified of surgery.

#120 ·
mrandmrs, it is hard to get in enough food when you can't eat a lot at once. I had to start snacking /before/between/after all meals, I usually have a little something in the morning before I leave, eat something when I get to work, eat something ~10am, eat lunch, eat a snack in the afternoon, eat dinner and eat something an hour or so before bed. I'm lucky in that until just the past couple weeks, I've been hungry pretty much constantly, so it isn't hard for me to eat like that, it is harder now that I have to remind myself to eat. Also, I've been doing some protein shakes too and will probably be doing more of those and just stuff like drinking some milk (I know some people aren't into dairy, I am though!) instead of water helps up your calories. I wouldn't resort to lots of milk shakes or candy, but some of that is ok, I've been indulging in greek frozen yogurt some nights, it has tons of protein so its actually not that bad of a choice!

2babies2kidsmom, I agree, it is a good idea to pay attention to any off feelings. Sometimes they are telling you something important! If it turns out to be nothing, oh well, that is what doctors are there for and if they give you any trouble, they are jerks IMO!

jess, I don't think you should lose hope, but I do think preparing for a possible c-section is a good idea too, I know I've been doing a bit of research on c-section in case I end up with one and will do more if it looks more likely. I'm not sure how you are, but for me the more information I have the more comfortable I am. I'd want to talk over with my OB how it should go, make sure I get to see and touch the babies briefly right after they are born, make sure I can have my support people, etc. I'd want to read about c-sections in general and what to expect for the procedure and for recovery. I'd want to talk to some people who have had one. I really hope your babies still turn for you!

#121 ·
>>I will be16 weeks tomorrow, and i have gained 11 lbs. I was overweight to begin with, but Dr Luke still wants me to gain a bunch more! I think I need to gain 9 lbs in the next 4 weeks to hit her target range. I am trying not to be anxious about it, but it's difficult. I'm hungry often but I can't eat huge portions or anything. I am feeling frustrated and stalled out, and I don't want to resort to milk shakes or snickers bars because that is just not how I eat. And I'm nervous about GD!

Thanks for letting me vent. <<

I have been extremely anxious about GD since last Monday, when my OB told me I had failed my glucose screening test (spectacularly - my score was 199). I told him I wanted to do the tolerance test regardless (I just didn't feel comfortable relying on one test for a final diagnosis) and he said it was completely unnecessary - there was no doubt I had GD. I thought guiltily back to the glasses of whole milk I'd been drinking as bedtime snacks, and the occasional breakfast bagel. With my first pregnancy, I never had any issues with blood sugar, but I thought I must not have been vigilant enough.

But since I was in the middle of switching providers (I just had my first appointment with my new OB yesterday), I scheduled the 3 hr GTT with my new OB's lab. Then I caught my toddler's stomach bug and was more concerned about staying hydrated and keeping down any kind of food than keeping off the carbs. The virus lasted for a week and was probably the worst GI illness I've ever dealt with. I was worried the whole time about this looming 3 hr test, whether I'd actually be well enough to take it or if the virus and not eating regularly would skew results ... So I finally felt better on Monday evening and took the test first thing Thursday morning. And I passed with flying colors! No evidence of GD. I'm not even borderline. I am so relieved.

I am feeling pretty great! I'm not even bummed about both babies being breech at yesterday's appointment (they were both vertex at last week's US) because with them wiggling so much, I'm hopeful they will wiggle back to Baby A being vertex.

I've just started reading Dr. Luke's book about multiples. I am nowhere near her recommended weight gain. I started off overweight (ok, technically obese) and am 14 pounds heavier (I lost a few pounds with the stomach virus but hope to regain those quickly). I'm at 28w5d. The twins are estimated to be the same size and between 50-60th percentiles. My old OB never even mentioned nutrition with me. I've been trying to get as much protein in as possible and am a little daunted by the total daily recommendations in Luke's book, but I'll keep trying. It's so much easier to focus on food intake now that I'm not worried about every single gram of carbohydrate.

#122 ·
Hey jess, don't give up yet! They still have time to turn! I have heard of babies flipping as late as 36 weeks. Yeah, it's good to prepare for a c/s, but you are not wasting your money on the chiropractor and acupuncturist. Think of this as preparation for motherhood. You will find as your babies get bigger that you doubt yourself alot, but you just have to push on and do your best. You are doing everything in your power to have the best birth possible, but in the end some things are just out of your control. Even if you do end up with a c/s, you can look back and say, "I tried everything I could". That is alot easier to live with than regret.

#123 ·
Rynkat, glad to hear you switched OBs, your first sounds like a trip. The 1hr is screening only, plenty of false positives from it! Glad you passed the three hour! I will say most OBs including mine know little about nutrition, especially for multiples!

Had a massage yesterday, oh that was nice, though I really haven't been hurting anywhere, but nice and relaxing and she showed me how to rub my legs to help with the slight ankle swelling I'm getting now. Baby boy seems happy in his head down position, baby girl/A is still flipping often, but has been back to head down at least twice since the first time. I will just have to wait and see! Work has been busy, making me tired, glad it is the weekend!

#124 ·
Hello, everyone!

I've been MIA for a while, because I ended up having an emergency C-section with my girls due to a placenta abruption on Baby B. They were born at 28 weeks 4 days, on March 17, and Baby B actually came out earlier than her sister, and so ended up being the oldest :) They weighed 2lb9oz and 2lb7oz respectively, and both were 14 1/2 inches long. We named them Katherine Ruth and Elizabeth Anne.

Now Elizabeth and Katherine face a long stay in NICU, but the doctors are optimistic about us taking home two healthy babies in the end. We were able to hold them both about 6 days after they were born, and the girls are receiving my milk via a tiny tube to their stomachs.

Here are the pictures of the girls:

Elizabeth

and Katherine

#125 ·
sophigirl, congratulations on your two sweet girls! Modern medicine truly is amazing! I just recently heard about placental abruption and I am curious about it. Did you have any symptoms before you were in labor?

Anyone else on here want to talk freezer cooking? I am trying to get my act together and freeze a few gluten free/ dairy free meals each week. Been having more braxton hicks when I am on my feet too long, so I've been resting ALOT. They really started up after visiting the chiropractor- has this happened to anyone else? Is is just coincidence? I am 32 weeks now. Makes me feel a sense of urgency to get everything ready!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.