Pregnant with Twins (or more!): Spring/Summer 2013 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jess, I was honestly surprised that my OB was totally fine with not delivering in the OR. I just asked her flat out that I heard that some moms had to and she said nah, not necessary. Nice to win one without trying smile.gif Thanks for the good wishes, they were definitely hiccups positioned in the right spot, but as much as she moves, who the heck knows where she is now. I told DH she needs to stop moving around so much and just chill out a bit and put on some weight smile.gif

Knittingtigers, yeah I'm about the same boat as you except I might still have one not head down, but yeah uncomplicated first vaginal birth, etc. And my first pregnancy was way easier, I was totally that pregnant lady other pregnant ladies get mad at because I was always so cheerful and bubbly smile.gif This time I'm definitely more cranky! Being bigger is part of it, but even from the start I've just felt more tired, more hormonal, more everything. I know I have a toddler to chase around too, but still, twin pregnancy for me has been much rougher than singleton that's for sure! Good to know about the stillbirth risk being much different in di/di vs. mono/di, I assumed so.

I am so unmotivated to work today! I'll try to get something done though smile.gif I'm just so ready to be done with work for awhile, maternity leave will be busy in a different way, but a nice break from work.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingTigers View Post

Yes, Jess, I think we're up next! I am nervous about the birth, and about having two newborns, but also so excited to meet them. And, excited to not be pregnant anymore. I have gained so much weight this pregnancy, I'm having trouble just moving around. I think perhaps I took the Dr. Luke recommendations a little TOO seriously. On the other hand, I've grown some nice big babies, so I guess that's the point. My last pregnancy felt very easy. This one has not, and I think that the 70(!?!) pounds I've gained have something to do with that.

haha, I have put on a lot, too, but have also grown big babies! No one believes me when I tell them their approximate weights! I am SO EXCITED not to be pregnant anymore. I don't think I'll even care that I won't get any sleep, I'll just be happy to be able to move around! Are you part of the April or May DDCs here? I am in both, and Quinalla is in the May group. It's exciting to see all the April babies being born, although it makes me tap my feet a little bit :)

First time mom to twin boys born April 24! luxlove.gif Owen & Wyatt luxlove.gif

Old 04-15-2013, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the replies ladies! The doc I saw at MFM today said nonstress tests can wait until 36 weeks, that seems more reasonable. Sounds like the backup OB is just super cautious bc everything looks great at this point... I am sure my midwives can talk him down wink1.gif
My boys have been so flippy! A is breech now (at 30 weeks) so I am also holding out for another flip. But they both look good. If the ultrasound estimates are accurate they're 3-6 and 3-8 .
Old 04-16-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinalla View Post

jess, I was honestly surprised that my OB was totally fine with not delivering in the OR. I just asked her flat out that I heard that some moms had to and she said nah, not necessary. Nice to win one without trying smile.gif

Knittingtigers, yeah I'm about the same boat as you except I might still have one not head down, but yeah uncomplicated first vaginal birth, etc. And my first pregnancy was way easier, I was totally that pregnant lady other pregnant ladies get mad at because I was always so cheerful and bubbly smile.gif This time I'm definitely more cranky! Being bigger is part of it, but even from the start I've just felt more tired, more hormonal, more everything. I know I have a toddler to chase around too, but still, twin pregnancy for me has been much rougher than singleton that's for sure! Good to know about the stillbirth risk being much different in di/di vs. mono/di, I assumed so.

I am jealous you don't have to be in the OR!  Must be a pretty progressive hospital! 

I have also gained way more weight this time around, and I am not a tiny girl!  And I agree, being pregnant with twins is way harder than singletons, emotionally, physically, and mentally.  

Knittingtigers, I'm looking forward to hearing about the birth.   Hope everything goes well for you! 

AFM, I've started researching cesareans to try and prepare myself.  I've also found a lady  to come help out around the house after the birth.  I was planning to do that with a vaginal birth anyway, but with the possibility of a c/section looming in my future I realized I needed to get my act together. 

I'm trying to spend as much quality time with my hubby and kids now since I know things are about to get crazy around here.  I'm forcing myself to focus on these moments and be fully present. 

Old 04-16-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

jess, yeah people are surprised when I tell them the approximate weights too. I've still not put on as much as I did with DD (yet anyway), but I started out higher too and I'm still well within the recommended range from Dr. Luke, so I'm happy with that.

aprilv, that sounds much more reasonable yes. My girl is super flippy, they were having the hardest time figuring out where she was for the NST today, I still don't know where she is, but they eventually were able to pick up both HBs and get me going.

2babies2kids, it really is a lot harder, oof! I hear you on trying to stay in the moment and get in good quality time with DH & DD. I had a nice time with DD before bed last night, reading a few books and then talking and just cuddling, so sweet love.gif

Had my NST today, went fine once they could find both HBs, but I was hooked up FOREVER. It had to have been 40 minutes, I don't know if they forgot about me or got busy or what, but everything looked good, glad I had my book though. Growth scan tomorrow, crossing my fingers that baby girl had caught up at least some with baby boy. My OB said if they are much further apart (17% apart 2 weeks ago) they will start looking at risk of taking them out now vs. risk of letting them cook longer. I really don't want them out just yet, so hopefully baby girl has grown a bunch! I am really curious to see positions, I know someone had a head low/right which I assumed was baby boy, but based on the monitor positions it almost seemed they might be transverse again girl on bottom boy on top (their favorite position early on), who knows! I'm still amazed they have enough room to move around so darn much.

I too have been researching C-sections just in case, but I'm still hopeful I won't need that research.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Old 04-16-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:

jess, yeah people are surprised when I tell them the approximate weights too. I've still not put on as much as I did with DD (yet anyway), but I started out higher too and I'm still well within the recommended range from Dr. Luke, so I'm happy with that.

aprilv, that sounds much more reasonable yes. My girl is super flippy, they were having the hardest time figuring out where she was for the NST today, I still don't know where she is, but they eventually were able to pick up both HBs and get me going.

2babies2kids, it really is a lot harder, oof! I hear you on trying to stay in the moment and get in good quality time with DH & DD. I had a nice time with DD before bed last night, reading a few books and then talking and just cuddling, so sweet love.gif

Had my NST today, went fine once they could find both HBs, but I was hooked up FOREVER. It had to have been 40 minutes, I don't know if they forgot about me or got busy or what, but everything looked good, glad I had my book though. Growth scan tomorrow, crossing my fingers that baby girl had caught up at least some with baby boy. My OB said if they are much further apart (17% apart 2 weeks ago) they will start looking at risk of taking them out now vs. risk of letting them cook longer. I really don't want them out just yet, so hopefully baby girl has grown a bunch! I am really curious to see positions, I know someone had a head low/right which I assumed was baby boy, but based on the monitor positions it almost seemed they might be transverse again girl on bottom boy on top (their favorite position early on), who knows! I'm still amazed they have enough room to move around so darn much.

I too have been researching C-sections just in case, but I'm still hopeful I won't need that research.

Good luck at your growth ultrasound! I can't believe they have so much room to move! I'm totally jealous!

Old 04-17-2013, 11:01 AM

We had our 38 week appt yesterday and my midwife predicted another week and a half of pregnancy! Oof. Assuming I'm still pregnant we'll have another ultrasound next week to check weights and fluid, but she isn't worried.

I am also delivering in L&D as long as they both stay head down. I'm hoping they will, because tramsferring to the OR seems stressful.

Oh, I asked my midwife about stillbirth risks and she said that for di/di twins, she doesn't consider the risks to be higher than for singletons- the concerns come in when babies are sharing a circulation system or amniotic fluid.

Hope everyone is hanging in there!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

Old 04-17-2013, 11:16 AM

Quinalla - are you 35 weeks? i can't believe they can still flip around so much in there! 

knitting - i am on the edge of my seat waiting for your "go time." your midwife sounds like a dream come true. thanks for asking her about the stillborn risks. 

so, i failed my 1-hour / second trimester GTT. My ob says i have to take the 3-hour test.  Is there anything that helps to pass the 3-hour test? I have heard conflicting things - carb loading vs. eating high protein/low carb for days before. Does walking during the test actually help? Drinking water? 

I tried to take the 3-hour this morning, but there was an hour-long wait to start the test and I was already so HANGRY from fasting, and stressed about work backing up, I left after waiting 30 minutes. I guess I will try again later in the week.

I am so angry about everything related to this. I basically can't even think about it without foaming at the mouth.

heartbeat.gif rainbow1284.gif wife (31) + wife (37) rainbow1284.gif heartbeat.gif & our three sons  bikenew.gifbabyf.gifbabyf.gif
Old 04-17-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:

We had our 38 week appt yesterday and my midwife predicted another week and a half of pregnancy! Oof. Assuming I'm still pregnant we'll have another ultrasound next week to check weights and fluid, but she isn't worried.

I am also delivering in L&D as long as they both stay head down. I'm hoping they will, because tramsferring to the OR seems stressful.

Oh, I asked my midwife about stillbirth risks and she said that for di/di twins, she doesn't consider the risks to be higher than for singletons- the concerns come in when babies are sharing a circulation system or amniotic fluid.

Hope everyone is hanging in there!

whew, wow! another week and a half!

thanks for the report about di/di. I completely forgot to ask my OB yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsandmrs View Post

Quinalla - are you 35 weeks? i can't believe they can still flip around so much in there! 

knitting - i am on the edge of my seat waiting for your "go time." your midwife sounds like a dream come true. thanks for asking her about the stillborn risks. 

so, i failed my 1-hour / second trimester GTT. My ob says i have to take the 3-hour test.  Is there anything that helps to pass the 3-hour test? I have heard conflicting things - carb loading vs. eating high protein/low carb for days before. Does walking during the test actually help? Drinking water? 

I tried to take the 3-hour this morning, but there was an hour-long wait to start the test and I was already so HANGRY from fasting, and stressed about work backing up, I left after waiting 30 minutes. I guess I will try again later in the week.

I am so angry about everything related to this. I basically can't even think about it without foaming at the mouth.

ugh that sucks. For the one hour test, I was told by the internet (lol) to eat a lot of protein, and during the hour, go on a long walk. So that's what we did and I passed, but I'm not sure if it helped me or not since it was my first time taking it so I guess I'm no help for you. I didn't have to fast, either. I hope you get through the 3 hour without any hiccups!

As for me, I had a variety of appts yesterday, and was a little frustrated but am feeling better now.  First we showed up at my OB appt only to find out he was at a different office that day (never been there before and all my appts are on Tuesdays...no one told me!)  so we went home then back to that office for the NST and fluid check later in the afternoon. Both were just fine, but ran late, so we were late to the newly-made OB appt at this other location, which they really wanted me to make since it was the pre-op appt. We got there and I went to give the urine sample and dropped the dang thing in the toilet, so no urine sample this time. Doc wasn't concerned so I'm trying not to be (I've never had anything bad show up before). Blood pressure was slightly higher than my usual - They checked it three times and the second number was in the 80s, high 70s, and then 72. Pre-op was fine, I can't eat anything after midnight and my surgery is at noon!!! I am going to be VERY cranky. On the way home I burst into tears - I am terrified of this surgery. I am trying to re-frame it as "babies day" and not "surgery day" but it's very difficult!

Today I am feeling really swollen in my hands. They don't look extremely swollen but they just feel really tight.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessmn View Post

As for me, I had a variety of appts yesterday, and was a little frustrated but am feeling better now.  First we showed up at my OB appt only to find out he was at a different office that day (never been there before and all my appts are on Tuesdays...no one told me!)  so we went home then back to that office for the NST and fluid check later in the afternoon. Both were just fine, but ran late, so we were late to the newly-made OB appt at this other location, which they really wanted me to make since it was the pre-op appt. We got there and I went to give the urine sample and dropped the dang thing in the toilet, so no urine sample this time. Doc wasn't concerned so I'm trying not to be (I've never had anything bad show up before). Blood pressure was slightly higher than my usual - They checked it three times and the second number was in the 80s, high 70s, and then 72. Pre-op was fine, I can't eat anything after midnight and my surgery is at noon!!! I am going to be VERY cranky. On the way home I burst into tears - I am terrified of this surgery. I am trying to re-frame it as "babies day" and not "surgery day" but it's very difficult!

Sounds like a tough day!  I feel for you- I am also completely freaked out about the c/section that is likely in my future.  Sending hugs your way.  I will be thinking about you.  Keep us updated!

Old 04-17-2013, 07:18 PM

mrsandmrs - try not to stress about the 3 hr GTT. I failed my screening test spectacularly (199 was my score) but then passed the GTT with flying colors. I have no idea what happened. The Internet told me to carbo load in the days prior to the GTT, but the nurse never did ... so I ended up eating as I normally would (I avoided outright sugar but wasn't afraid of fruit and complex carbs). I did have a high protein snack before starting my fast the evening before, and I drank about 36 oz. of water during the 3 hrs. And I walked around a little bit (not a lot, but enough to keep from getting stiff waiting around in chairs).

I hope that it's the same thing with you - a wonky screening test but successful GTT.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Hey all, quick update, at my growth scan yesterday babies looked great, 7% apart which is great, I had high BP and protein in my urine! This MFM office is in the hospital, so they sent me upstairs for monitoring to determine if I have pre-e. I a mild, but had one BP that was I the severe category and had two decels on the babies HBs while they were monitoring me, so they decided to do a continuous monitoring with 24hr urine catch in the hospital. I got a few hours of sleep and there was one more decel last night, but otherwise the babies are looking perfect on the monitors. My BP is staying ok when I'm on my side and reclined or laying down, but not so much otherwise. I should know more today around 5pm when they get all my urineandget the test back, we will see. I am 34w6d today, so it is pretty likely these babies are coming out soon. Baby girl was breech on the u/s, but she's been moving all over and is either head down now or butt down squished low. Boy appears to still be head down, so we will see if I endup with surgery or no!

Old 04-18-2013, 08:30 AM

Quinalla, good luck! I'm thinking of you!

Jess, I'm so sorry that you are feeling stressed about the c-section. I would be too. I'm sort of glad that if I end up with one, it will be unexpected so I won't have too much time to freak out about it. That said, I know that planning it can make it much better. Here are a couple articles about the hospital where I gave birth to my daughter. They have instituted a new "gentle caesarean" program. This might give you some things to discuss with your doctor:

http://www.9news.com/news/article/255875/188/Gentle-Caesarean-sections-Bonding-with-baby

http://www.mhri.org/ss_plugins/content/content.php?content.5103

mrsandmrs, Arg! That would make me crazy! No advice on the 3 hour. I failed the 1 hour, but instead of taking the 3 hour just started monitoring at home. My midwife felt like that was more accurate since it was based on what I was actually eating, rather than an artificial test based on circumstances that would never happen (fasting and then drinking tons of orange sugar crap). I've got no advice on passing the 3 hour, but one thing I discovered inadvertently while testing at home is that if you take thyroid meds, they will raise your blood sugar reading. That's probably not relevant for you, but I thought I'd pass it on!

No news here. I'm 38 weeks and feeling a little rough. My mother is staying with us to help out, and she has been really helpful, but our house is also feeling really small at this point. She and my DP are starting to snap at each other, and I feel a little caught in the middle. Last night I woke up every hour, and every time I feel back asleep I dreamt that I was trying to broker a deal on gun control in the Senate, except instead of senators, it was my mom and my DP arguing about everything! This morning I dropped DD off at school and escaped to a coffee shop to have some time away. I'm technically still working, but I've been doing it mostly from home. Planning to go in to my office this afternoon just to get out of the house some more. Serious cabin fever here!

Old 04-18-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Hey all, quick update, at my growth scan yesterday babies looked great, 7% apart which is great, I had high BP and protein in my urine! This MFM office is in the hospital, so they sent me upstairs for monitoring to determine if I have pre-e. I a mild, but had one BP that was I the severe category and had two decels on the babies HBs while they were monitoring me, so they decided to do a continuous monitoring with 24hr urine catch in the hospital. I got a few hours of sleep and there was one more decel last night, but otherwise the babies are looking perfect on the monitors. My BP is staying ok when I'm on my side and reclined or laying down, but not so much otherwise. I should know more today around 5pm when they get all my urineandget the test back, we will see. I am 34w6d today, so it is pretty likely these babies are coming out soon. Baby girl was breech on the u/s, but she's been moving all over and is either head down now or butt down squished low. Boy appears to still be head down, so we will see if I endup with surgery or no!

oh I'm so glad they caught up to each other! It's good to hear your update, and I hope they are able to keep them in a bit longer. I have heard when babies are delivered early they give them a drug to strengthen their lungs - is that something they are talking about doing?

Quote:

Quinalla, good luck! I'm thinking of you!

Jess, I'm so sorry that you are feeling stressed about the c-section. I would be too. I'm sort of glad that if I end up with one, it will be unexpected so I won't have too much time to freak out about it. That said, I know that planning it can make it much better. Here are a couple articles about the hospital where I gave birth to my daughter. They have instituted a new "gentle caesarean" program. This might give you some things to discuss with your doctor:

http://www.9news.com/news/article/255875/188/Gentle-Caesarean-sections-Bonding-with-baby

http://www.mhri.org/ss_plugins/content/content.php?content.5103

mrsandmrs, Arg! That would make me crazy! No advice on the 3 hour. I failed the 1 hour, but instead of taking the 3 hour just started monitoring at home. My midwife felt like that was more accurate since it was based on what I was actually eating, rather than an artificial test based on circumstances that would never happen (fasting and then drinking tons of orange sugar crap). I've got no advice on passing the 3 hour, but one thing I discovered inadvertently while testing at home is that if you take thyroid meds, they will raise your blood sugar reading. That's probably not relevant for you, but I thought I'd pass it on!

No news here. I'm 38 weeks and feeling a little rough. My mother is staying with us to help out, and she has been really helpful, but our house is also feeling really small at this point. She and my DP are starting to snap at each other, and I feel a little caught in the middle. Last night I woke up every hour, and every time I feel back asleep I dreamt that I was trying to broker a deal on gun control in the Senate, except instead of senators, it was my mom and my DP arguing about everything! This morning I dropped DD off at school and escaped to a coffee shop to have some time away. I'm technically still working, but I've been doing it mostly from home. Planning to go in to my office this afternoon just to get out of the house some more. Serious cabin fever here!

Thank you for the links, I'll check them out! I'm mostly freaking myself out I guess. At first I liked the planned version, and now I am wishing it would just be random and unexpected. I think the waiting and anticipation is going to be the very worst part (obviously, I'm already freaking out! gah)

I can't believe you are 38 weeks and going to go to work :P I stopped work last week so I could have a week to relax, but also because there is no way I can drive and I didn't like relying on others to transport me around to and from work. I can't believe you're driving! That's impressive. My belly is like an inch from the steering wheel so now I have a variety of friends and family who are my chauffeurs, but I definitely feel some cabin fever already. I hope I remember how to drive :P

Old 04-18-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessmn View Post

I can't believe you are 38 weeks and going to go to work :P I stopped work last week so I could have a week to relax, but also because there is no way I can drive and I didn't like relying on others to transport me around to and from work. I can't believe you're driving! That's impressive. My belly is like an inch from the steering wheel so now I have a variety of friends and family who are my chauffeurs, but I definitely feel some cabin fever already. I hope I remember how to drive :P

I've heard that lots of people can't drive at this point! I think that the only thing that has saved me is having an abnormally long torso, so they are more spread out up-and-down than sticking straight out. I've always bemoaned this body feature (shirts are always too short, and women's hiking packs never fit me correctly), but right now, I'm feeling really grateful for it! I drive an Accord, and there's still plenty of space between me and the wheel.

That said, I'm barely working. At this point, "working from home" means answering relevant emails and spending too much time on MDC.:) I would officially be off right now but I want to save my leave for the other side. Those of you who work, how much time will you take off post-babies? I will take 12 weeks off, and then work mostly from home for a month or so after that. I work at a university, so there's some flexibility around where I am during the summer. Once the students come back in mid/late-August, I will need to start showing up regularly. We get six weeks of paid parental leave, and luckily I have seven weeks of other PTO saved up. So, I'll take 12 after the babies, and then still have a week left for whatever. I also have a great boss, who supports flexibility, so that helps. I would love to take more time, but I am our primary breadwinner, so there's just no way, unfortunately.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Yes they will probably give me a steroid shot, but they are waiting cause the window of effectiveness is small on that. I am on intermittent monitoring now thank god and they letting me ea and drink too as they checked babies cords on the u/s this morning and all looks good. Everyone is just waiting on my urine catch now to confirm pre-e, but I am sure it will be confirmed. Baby girl is butt down, so I'm guessing they will just go for a csection unless she magically gets head engaged, but I doubt it.

Jess, sorry you are having some anxiety about your csection,me too as it is looking likely. hug.gif

Thanks for all the well wishes, will keep you posted as I can!

Old 04-18-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:

I've heard that lots of people can't drive at this point! I think that the only thing that has saved me is having an abnormally long torso, so they are more spread out up-and-down than sticking straight out. I've always bemoaned this body feature (shirts are always too short, and women's hiking packs never fit me correctly), but right now, I'm feeling really grateful for it! I drive an Accord, and there's still plenty of space between me and the wheel.

That said, I'm barely working. At this point, "working from home" means answering relevant emails and spending too much time on MDC.:) I would officially be off right now but I want to save my leave for the other side. Those of you who work, how much time will you take off post-babies? I will take 12 weeks off, and then work mostly from home for a month or so after that. I work at a university, so there's some flexibility around where I am during the summer. Once the students come back in mid/late-August, I will need to start showing up regularly. We get six weeks of paid parental leave, and luckily I have seven weeks of other PTO saved up. So, I'll take 12 after the babies, and then still have a week left for whatever. I also have a great boss, who supports flexibility, so that helps. I would love to take more time, but I am our primary breadwinner, so there's just no way, unfortunately.

ah, lucky. For some reason I have grown straight outward, not even sideways. I had my car's seat as far back as I could still reach, and the steering wheel up, and it still didn't work! My husband is happy to be driving my car now, though (he likes it over his, ha).

I also work at a university - I'm taking around 5 months off. I don't have a ton of vacation and sick time - we went on a big vacation last year and then pregnancy was a bit of a surprise and I used a lot of sick time in the first trimester, but we (as in my boss and I) were able to take advantage of all the rules for leave and spread out my vacation and sick time mixed with as many leave without pay days as is allowed and still earn more time off. My work is really supportive of taking as much time as I'd like, people were even asking how they could donate time for me. (They can't until I completely run out of my own and even then I would need to have a medical reason to not be at work, dangit!) I'm going to be doing some checking in through email, phone, and meetings, too. It's weird to think about taking all this time off and then just showing up again in the fall! It's a good time of year to have babies, though, with the summer being a slower time at universities!

What about your SO? My husband started a new job last fall so doesn't qualify for FMLA yet. Luckily he has about 2 weeks of paid time off saved up, which he'll use once babies are here. He's going to work next Tuesday and start his leave on Wednesday (babies day!). I wish he could be around more afterwards, but we're both glad he's got a great job, and he can still use FMLA within the first year of the babies' birth. We were thinking of taking a couple weeks off together in the winter.

Quote:

Yes they will probably give me a steroid shot, but they are waiting cause the window of effectiveness is small on that. I am on intermittent monitoring now thank god and they letting me ea and drink too as they checked babies cords on the u/s this morning and all looks good. Everyone is just waiting on my urine catch now to confirm pre-e, but I am sure it will be confirmed. Baby girl is butt down, so I'm guessing they will just go for a csection unless she magically gets head engaged, but I doubt it.

Jess, sorry you are having some anxiety about your csection,me too as it is looking likely. hug.gif

Thanks for the update!! Now I am on the edge of my seat :) I'm glad they are letting you eat!

Old 04-18-2013, 01:41 PM

Jess, your leave sounds great! I wish I could take more time. My DP and I work at the same university, which is fabulous in lots of ways, however that means that only one of us can take advantage of the paid time off for parental leave.:/ Luckily, he's faculty so he'll have the summer off from teaching. I spent a lot of time in the beginning of this pregnancy getting really angry about the lack of paid leave in the US. I've mostly let it go now. Mostly...:)

Old 04-18-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Hope all is well!

Tell me more about the window of effectiveness of the steroid shot for lung development?

I had my second non stress test round today. Babies are great. But apparently I'm having contractions? I guess I can feel a tightening when I really pay attention, but that caught me off guard. I had a cervical check and it's closed. I'm waiting on the results of that preterm labor protein swab. If positive, it looks like I'm headed to the hospital to stop contractions and receive steroids to hasten the babies' lung development. I'm only at 32+4 ... I am so not ready for this!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Labs aren't back yet, but my OB stopped by and said they want to keep the babies in as long as I don't get worse, either worse labs, worse BPs, or start to develop bad headaches or seeing spots. And they want to keep me in the hospital. I think it is the right thing to do, but ugh being stuck in the hospital forever. I'll just be monitored twice a day, eat as normal and I assume some blood drawn every day and urine tests. Going to need some more books and DVDs thats for sure.

I'd have to look up the steroid shot again but that is what I recall.

I was planning on 16 weeks after, I will probably still take it even though I could be in here a couple weeks.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:

Labs aren't back yet, but my OB stopped by and said they want to keep the babies in as long as I don't get worse, either worse labs, worse BPs, or start to develop bad headaches or seeing spots. And they want to keep me in the hospital. I think it is the right thing to do, but ugh being stuck in the hospital forever. I'll just be monitored twice a day, eat as normal and I assume some blood drawn every day and urine tests. Going to need some more books and DVDs thats for sure.

I'd have to look up the steroid shot again but that is what I recall.

I was planning on 16 weeks after, I will probably still take it even though I could be in here a couple weeks.

Quinella, don't go through the trouble re: steroid shot info. I'm sure you have other things on your mind. I just got the word that the test for preterm labor came back negative, so I'm not headed to hospital after all. (KNOCK ON WOOD) So I won't (yet) join you in solidarity, but I wish that I could help you with potential boredom. I've been reading a lot of empowering stories on the "Birth Without Fear" page on Facebook. Today there are lots of stories about twin/multiple births.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Rynkat, glad you aren't in preterm labor! Thanks for the suggestion, I may check it out later! One nice thing about waiting is it does up my chances of vaginal birth, here is hoping! I really feel for my DH and DD with me stuck here, I'm so glad I left everything for them in good shape at least. We have to figure out when to send my Mom home too, but she will be her through the weekend so that's good! I know she will stay as much as we ask, but I don't want her to miss 2 weeks of work potentially just to hang out here.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:10 PM

Hope you are doing well, Quinalla!!

I just got back from my NST. Babies were good, both had a heart blip during a contraction but the lead nurse wasn't worried about it because they have plenty of fluid.

My blood pressure was a little high, not enough to set off the alarms on their machine but it has climbed steadily over the last week or so. She took it twice, once was 130/79 and second was 131/82. She said you want the second number below 90. Previously I was in the 60s. So I'm supposed to take it easy over the weekend and keep an eye out for Pre eclampsia symptoms. Way to make me more anxious. So I am at home now drinking tons of water and sitting with my feet up, which is what I've been doing all week.

After that I had my blood drawn for Wednesday and they gave me a wristband that I'll wear in the hospital. Not too exciting, they only took two vials.

I have a final NST and fluid check on Tuesday and the c section is Wednesday.

Be calm, be calm, be calm. (I am very anxious)

Old 04-20-2013, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Keep calm Jess, you are doing fine. Laying down as much as possible has been doing great things for my BP along with mindless tv. Glad the most went well!

Has one BP that was too high yesterday, but laying down flatter helped a lot, now I'm back in norm range again. Going to break out the laptop after breakfast and shower and get some more posting in.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

BP has been good today, but on my afternoon monitoring baby boy had a decel. They kept me on th monitor and he had another, so now I am waiting to see if I am allowed to eat as dinner just arrived. At best I am sure I will be on the monitors all night. We'll see how it goes. Glad I slept well last night and had a nap for either a sleepless night or whatever else.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:47 PM

Thinking about you Quinalla!  Hope everything goes well for you!  Keep us updated. 

Had an u/s yesterday, both babies still breech.  So frustrating because everything else is perfect.  BP was good, Baby A is 5 lbs 8 oz, Baby B is 5 lbs 11 oz.  Went ahead and scheduled a c/section for May 10 since my parents are coming in on May 11.  Also saw the acupuncturist for the first time.  Keeping my fingers crossed! 

I am also starting to explore the possibility of traveling to do a breech birth.  I actually emailed the midwives at The Farm but they are booked for May.  But there must be other providers out there who would help me.  Has anyone heard of a doctor or midwife that will take breech twins?  Maybe in Colorado or somewhere near the upper midwest?

Old 04-20-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:

BP has been good today, but on my afternoon monitoring baby boy had a decel. They kept me on th monitor and he had another, so now I am waiting to see if I am allowed to eat as dinner just arrived. At best I am sure I will be on the monitors all night. We'll see how it goes. Glad I slept well last night and had a nap for either a sleepless night or whatever else.

oh, tell that baby boy to be cooperative :) I hope the night goes smoothly for you!

Thanks - I get these moments of freaking out, I wish I could be calm to start with. I've spent the day laying down and drinking tons of water. I'm definitely admiring you for being so put together through your current situation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2babies2kidsmom View Post

Thinking about you Quinalla!  Hope everything goes well for you!  Keep us updated. 

Had an u/s yesterday, both babies still breech.  So frustrating because everything else is perfect.  BP was good, Baby A is 5 lbs 8 oz, Baby B is 5 lbs 11 oz.  Went ahead and scheduled a c/section for May 10 since my parents are coming in on May 11.  Also saw the acupuncturist for the first time.  Keeping my fingers crossed! 

I am also starting to explore the possibility of traveling to do a breech birth.  I actually emailed the midwives at The Farm but they are booked for May.  But there must be other providers out there who would help me.  Has anyone heard of a doctor or midwife that will take breech twins?  Maybe in Colorado or somewhere near the upper midwest?

I know how frustrating this is - I hope your babies flip! Mine were moving SO MUCH last night for like 2 hours - my husband even took a video, it was crazy - but I think I can feel their heads in the same spots. :/

Good luck finding someone who will do a breech delivery. My midwife offered to look for me but it made me so anxious I thought the c-section was probably better. :/ Maybe try a university hospital?

Old 04-21-2013, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Monitors and IV all night, but the resident and nurse at least gave me some broth ans juice before bed. No more decels sice those two, but lots of mild contractions last night until about 2am. It is looking hopeful I will go back on intermittent today and food again, but no word just yet. BP has been behaving at least! Did I mention the a/c at home broke? Need a new heat pump (outside unit) apparently, at least it is the cheaper part, but ugh just what we needed. At least it will still heat and it cooled way off so no one at home is miserable!

2babies2kids, I really hope those babies turn or you can find someone willing to do breech. Sorry I don't have any advice for finding someone. Glad the rest is going well!

Jess, it is hard to not worry a bit! As for me, I am not a worrier by nature, so that helps me a lot, but I still worry a bit each time something happens, especially the decels, no idea what is going on their except maybe the babies are compressing their own/each other's cords!

I am soooo hungry greensad.gif

Old 04-21-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Got the go ahead to eat about 10:30am and I ate a lot smile.gif IV out not long after that. I'm not monitoring again without eating right before. Anyway, the on call doc at my practice (who I've met so that's nice) came and said that the decels appear to just be baby compressing his own cord and then moving off which is normal and happen in all pregnancies. She said there is no cause for taking babies out right now. I verified that 37 weeks is my end point assuming I make it that far and she verified that. is the case. When I see my OB next going to verify which date they are using as I've been using 5/24, but sometimes I see 5/22 on there stuff, so that would potentially move it up 2 days. So either May 3rd or May 1st assuming everything keeps going well!

Time to order dinner!

Old 04-21-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:

Got the go ahead to eat about 10:30am and I ate a lot smile.gif IV out not long after that. I'm not monitoring again without eating right before. Anyway, the on call doc at my practice (who I've met so that's nice) came and said that the decels appear to just be baby compressing his own cord and then moving off which is normal and happen in all pregnancies. She said there is no cause for taking babies out right now. I verified that 37 weeks is my end point assuming I make it that far and she verified that. is the case. When I see my OB next going to verify which date they are using as I've been using 5/24, but sometimes I see 5/22 on there stuff, so that would potentially move it up 2 days. So either May 3rd or May 1st assuming everything keeps going well!

Time to order dinner!
Enjoy eating!!! hug Glad babies look good.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Tags
Pregnancy , Parenting Multiples
User Tag List