At what age did you give your twins each their own room? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: At what age did you give your twins each their own room?
Since birth 0 0%
1 year old 1 10.00%
2 years old 1 10.00%
3 years old 0 0%
4 years old 0 0%
5 years old 0 0%
6 years old 2 20.00%
7 years old 0 0%
8 or older 0 0%
Still in the same room at 8 or older 2 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-24-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

At what age did you place your twins in separate rooms?

In hindsight do you think that was the right age?

Was it decided by factors beyond your control (size of house etc) or your choice or the request of the twins themselves?

do you think your twins being the same or diferent sexes played a role in timing? How?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#2 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 AM

My boys are still in the same room at 8, and I can't imagine them getting separate rooms until they move out or we get a much bigger house. Little sister is still in the same room with them as well. She is 5 1/2.  I recognize that at some point it will become necessary to shift her to her own room, but at this point they still all want to be together.

In a boy/girl twin set, assuming I had the space, I'd  move them when they wanted to. If at any point it is akward that they are still together, because of body awareness or the desire to dress privately, then it's time.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#3 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 AM

I wish I could separate mine right now.  But as it is, they room in with older sister.  Lucy is my bright-eyed little girl who doesn't seem to ever want or need to sleep.  Lily is just the opposite.  As soon as Lucy is awake, she makes sure Lily is awake, too, even if that is 4am.  :(  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#4 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 AM

I posted 2 years old.  For the first year they slept in the room with us. Second year they were in separate beds with their older sister in the same room. Three beds in one small room got to be too crowded so then we moved my son to his own room and my daughters share a room. Our house is tiny though (950 sq ft) and 1.5 stories so the top floor is pretty much one room with a small landing in between. It's the kid zone.

slingtwin.gifMontessori teacher working part time and trying to keep up with the kiddos. blowkiss.gif DD1 (June 08)ROTFLMAO.gif DS1 (June 10)love.gif DD2 (June 10)

#5 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My boys decided for themselves - at least one of them did! He wanted his own room. Though they were often together, except to sleep, either in one room or another.

Now they are in college, and dorm roommates.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#6 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

yeah one of my motivation as that my girl is a short napper 1-2hr and my boy is a long one 3-4! she is also night owl and he is a morning person, though that is not as big of an issue

thankfully if i get her out of the room soon enough he stays asleep or goes back a sleep, i' sure this will change the second they get toddler beds.

i kinda feel like i'm holding off toddler beds till they get their own rooms, but holding off toddler beds also makes night potty training a harder thing and they have done such a amazing job of day training in just a handful of days that now a month later, im kicking myself for procrastinating the night training.

but waking them in he middle of hte night with the other right there, and their tendency to then throw a fit and want in my bed , where they clobber and torquer me till morning does not sound like something i want to willingly walk into.

one thing always leads to another and another and another with twins huh?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#7 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 05:48 PM

My twin boys are only a year old, so they're still in the same room and I expect they will share a room for a while. I am also a twin and my sister and I shared a room until we went to university (and then our single dorm rooms were next to each other and she spent most of her down time in my room).

If my twins were m/f, I agree with Red Pajama. I'd move them when they wanted to or when it got awkward.

#8 of 9 Old 02-28-2013, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

In 1st grade, I asked if they wanted separate bedrooms or to share a bedroom and have a play room.  They emphatically wanted the latter.  As of 5th grade, they had never asked to change it.  At that point, it became moot because I got married and my step-son moved in with us, so he got the extra bedroom and we built a make-shift play room in the garage.  Now that they're teens, they're complaining that they'd like a bigger room (which is perfectly valid), but don't specifically campaign for separate rooms.  By this summer, we should have finished an addition which will give the twins a much bigger room with a movable divider, plus an open "hang-out room" for all of our boys to share.  

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
#9 of 9 Old 03-07-2013, 09:31 AM

I have boy/girl twins who will be 5 in June.  They have shared a room and bed since they moved out of our bed around age 2-2.5.  We've tossed around the idea of separating them but they do fairly well together and are pretty similar in sleep patterns.  With the number of bedrooms in our house we will always have two kids sharing a room.  Right now older ds and older dd have their own rooms.  I foresee the girls sharing a room at some point just because they are closer in age and I'm thinking the boy/girl thing will become an issue as the twins get older.  I'm not in a rush to do this as my older dd is a real early bird and it's not unusual for her to be up at 4:30am for the day.  But I worry that the longer we wait the more difficult it will be for her to adjust to sharing her space.  One day at a time smile.gif.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page