What size clothes should I get for when the twins are born? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm 26 weeks along with my twins now and everything seems to be going well with them. I'm really hoping to make it close to full term. Even so, everyone keeps telling me how small the babies will be. 

Do I need preemie clothes? If so how many? I don't want to overdo it and waste money but I want to be prepared too. 

Any advice?

mama to three little ladies
#2 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sleep sacks, wombie sacks, halo sacks, etc. are great for not knowing what size your kiddo will be. Everything was going splendidly well with my pregnancy until all of the sudden my water broke at 35 weeks. The girls were both around 4 1/2 lbs, and they not only wore premie clothes, but the clothes Id bought them in preemie size were too big. Some preemie clothes are really newborn clothes, and some newborn clothes are the size for a 10 lb baby. My girls are 8 weeks, and they now fit in to newborn clothes that are for 7-10 lbs (they are almost 8 lbs). 

We still have some preemie clothes that they can wear (at 8 lbs, they obviously werent true preemie clothes even though they were ordered from a special preemie website). 

IME, the best thing to do would be to call around and make a list of stores in your area that sell preemie clothes. I wish Id done that. Then, you can send someone to get a few things. Have them take a pic with a smartphone and send it to you. Otherwise, I suggest buying some preemie clothes from Carters website online if you get preemies, because they have cheap expedited shipping. Go ahead and pick them out and put them in your cart. If your babies come early, click "checkout" the day they are born have them shipped to you. 

Good luck!

sophigirl likes this.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 AM

I don't know what they are called anymore-- maybe "infant gowns". They are like an infant Tshirt but long, past the toes. Those are a life saver when the babies are small, and will fit a variety of sizes. My boys lived in those for the first few weeks, with a flannel blanket wrapped around them. They really only "unwapped" for diaper changes and the like.

As cute as infant clothes can be, I recommend simple, single piece clothing with occasional exceptions for "dress up occasions". 

good luck!

Oh, and I didn't get to use premie clothes at all. Boys were born at 7.4

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#4 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 12:02 PM

I wouldn't get many premie clothes ahead of time if any (maybe if you run across something like-new consignment or whatever), though looking around to see where you can get them makes sense. Gowns are great for flexibility. I also found side-snap shirts were very flexible too (my first was 5lb4oz and was swimming in Newborn for awhile, my twins are still cooking) and then just swaddle with a blanket or sleep sack on top of it. Simple is definitely best with infant clothes, you are changing their diapers constantly and if you have a spitter-upper, their clothes too.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#5 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 12:51 PM

I'd mostly stick to NB clothes vs. preemie.. even if they ARE early/tiny, I rather have NB clothes that may be bigger vs. spending a lot on preemie that may be too small, ya know? If they are SUPER little, you could always go buy preemie clothes on a need basis :)

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#6 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 02:31 PM

We were given a bunch of used clothing that my aunt had found at various consignment and thrift shops. There were some preemie clothes and some newborn. Both were helpful, but I wouldn't buy preemie clothing new unless you really have premature babies. My son never fit any of it and only fit the newborn for a few weeks. My daughter though was smallish 6.1 lbs but lost weight and wasn't gaining well for a bit She fit preemie clothes for a bit and then wore new born for quite a while.  So, I would buy preemie/newborn in limited quantities and used until the twins are actually born.

slingtwin.gifMontessori teacher working part time and trying to keep up with the kiddos. blowkiss.gif DD1 (June 08)ROTFLMAO.gif DS1 (June 10)love.gif DD2 (June 10)

#7 of 11 Old 02-28-2013, 08:13 PM

I agree that you shouldn't buy preemie because you just never know! I went ahead and bought some newborn stuff thinking SURELY twins would fit into it. My eldest daughter was 8lb11oz but 21.5 inches long and didn't even fit in newborn when she was born!! So I figured I'd finally have some tiny babies with the twins. It's more the length than the weight that gets you in some of the brands and styles. Anyway, the girls were born mid 7lbs each and 20 inches long. They fit in newborn for like a week because they were too long. Wasted money except I'm keeping them as babydoll clothes for the girls when they get older. I'd get a couple newborn just in case but like others said you can stick them in the sleep sack type clothes.

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#8 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My girls were 37 weeks and were 4 bl 14 oz and 3lb 14 oz...a lot smaller than the ultrasounds had indicated.  I wish I had bought at least one preemie outfit per girl, because the clothes I brought for them to go home in were huge on them.  And for the next couple of weeks I could have used a few of them. We made do and used a lot of the little shirts they hospital had for them, and some of the long sleeve nb shirts with mittens. My aunt finally sent me some preemie clothes, but there were several outfits she sent that they couldn't even wear right away, as it took a while for their cord stumps to fall off, and then they were in NB size.  So they weren't in them long, but I have to say, it would have been nice to have them when they needed them, especially for my smaller twin.

Robin read.gifPartner to J bikenew.gif and mom to G & R 10/3/12 twins.gif 
#9 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 03:35 PM

I bought two preemie outfits last minute to dress our girls in when we came home from the hospital, since the ultrasound measurements indicated they were on the small side. They were born one day shy of 39 weeks, and they weighed 6 lbs 3 oz and 5 lbs 10 oz. Length-wise they were both around 19 inches, so the outfits were just too short. The newborn clothes were a bit baggy on them for the first week or so, but now at 3 weeks their arms and legs are getting a little long for the newborn stuff. All that is to say, I wouldn't invest in too many preemie clothes beforehand. The two outfits I bought at a consignment shop didn't cost me much, but based on my experience (if you have a good chance of getting close to full-term), you probably won't use preemie clothes much, if at all. I'm not bothered by a little bagginess in the newborn outfits at first, either.

#10 of 11 Old 03-16-2013, 01:25 PM

I agree with the previous votes for adjustable options rather than just assuming they will be premature. My twins were 6lb 8oz each at birth so I was glad I didn't buy a bunch of premie stuff as they would have never fit.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Wife to DH 6 yr, Mom to Mono 6/07, Mi'ha 12/09, La & Ta 1/12. Yah!

CDing, noVaxing, tandom BFing & BWing, coSleeping, minimalist in training 388/2012, mama
#11 of 11 Old 04-08-2013, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I wish I had gotten a few preemie things. My girls were around 6 lbs each when they were born and are just miniature now at 3 weeks. Newborn-size sleepers work alright, but they are definitely too big. I bought some preemie onsies when they were around a week old, but other preemie clothes are hard to come by, I've noticed. You can get by with onsies and blankets pretty well, but it would be nice to have a few things on hand so it actually feels like they are wearing outfits now and then! I suggest keeping the tags on and returning them if you wind up with 8-lb babies somehow.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page