post baby body reality and what you can do? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 36 weeks with twins tomorrow (woohoo) and have recently been thinking about how much I want my "normal" body back. I want to be able to move without pelvic pain, run, go up stairs, not feel like I have a bowling ball sitting on my lap, and participate in life the way I did before. And then I started thinking about how my body will look, and now I'm getting a little depressed.

I've been looking at twin mom bodies in the Shape of a Mother website (http://theshapeofamother.com/category/twins/) and there is so much variation, there's no telling what will happen post babies. I was thin before and my skin is about maxed out right now - the NST nurses and ultrasound techs always comment on how shiny and stretched it is. I've gained 50lbs but almost all of it is belly. I'm thinking I am going to have a lot of loose skin. I also understand that the ab muscles separate, which I am guessing is happening to me just based on the size of my belly.

I'm curious, based on your experiences, if anything helped get some semblance of normal back? How long did it take? Did you use a belly binder, and which one? Did you have a c-section? Can anyone tell me about diastasis recti (how do you know if you have it, should you see a doctor?). Any other words of wisdom? How did you come to accept the changes in your body?

(I have to say, I'm okay with stretch marks, I'm mostly thinking about sagging skin and this idea of my insides sloshing around due to the separation of the ab muscles)

First time mom to twin boys born April 24! luxlove.gif Owen & Wyatt luxlove.gif

#2 of 8 Old 04-06-2013, 08:01 PM

I had a vaginal birth and used the my belly binder the day after the girls were born. I wore it every day for 8 weeks. It helped with the feelings of my insides flopping around and my stomach shank much faster than after my singleton (no binding). I was going to use a hip shrinking type garment too but I was too hot and too tired to wear it. Thankfully my hip bones are smaller than ever so it wasn't even needed. I have loose skin on my belly with deep stretch marks but I'm hoping that eventually when the twins wean that the elasticity in my skin will pull it in a little more. The stretch marks themselves are already faded to silver from a bright red/purple and the twins are just now 10 months. I have not started working out so I have no idea what my abs will do in the future. Every person is different and I'm still trying to accept my new body and I hope you can love yours as well!

Over anything I would recommend binding your stomach just for comfort more than anything. I do think it helped with shrinking, the only thing I didn't like is it is hot to wear when you have 2 newborns on you!

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#3 of 8 Old 04-06-2013, 08:10 PM

Be kind to yourself. It can be hard, and I still struggle.

That said, the first week of being able to walk up stairs and lift things and use your lap is AMAZING. I still (nearly two years out) get excited about running up the stairs some times. It's so so so awesome.

I used a belly binder early on. I don't think it helps reassemble things, but it makes things feel better while everything is getting back into its place. My doctor checked me for diastasis recti, and you should talk to yours (or midwife).

It takes time. You will look pregnant for a while, and things will be slow to improve, but they will improve. I lost twenty pounds during the delivery and another twenty the next week, and then the next twenty nine months later (down to my pre-pregnancy weight), and another twenty by 18 months. But I still have a belly and I still have loose skin. And some women hold on to their weight until they wean. Others lose it all very quickly.

But so much will improve as soon as you deliver. And if you can get out walking and moving, that will help. And beyond that, give yourself time. You'll be busy, which will help the time pass.

And this

http://www.stevewiens.com/2013/03/06/these-are-the-lines-of-a-story/

#4 of 8 Old 04-06-2013, 08:34 PM

final, that blog post was beautiful and made me cry. Thanks for posting it here.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#5 of 8 Old 04-07-2013, 06:10 PM

I have to say, other than some pretty deep stretch marks, I look pretty similar. My boobs are going to be pretty bad once Im done nursing though. 

I looked at shape of a mother the whole time I was pregnant, and I prepared for the worst. It might not be as bad as you think :)

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 8 Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your comments! I guess I will have to wait and see what happens to my body. I wish I could know NOW.

I'm been a little emotional lately, and I guess this was something I have been thinking about and suddenly worried about. I definitely cried when reading that blog. oh dear.

First time mom to twin boys born April 24! luxlove.gif Owen & Wyatt luxlove.gif

#7 of 8 Old 04-12-2013, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

FWIW, within a few months my body went pretty much back to normal PP. 

My shape recovered by the time I woke out of newborn daze enough to care.  Breastfeeding twins is a huge help!  At first I was just so happy to see my feet again and shower and shave my legs.  And like Rinap I love running up stairs.  Things you stop taking for granted!  And nursing for 2y9m didn't really have any effect on my breasts.  Larger nipples but that's it. 

I may have had / have some abdominal separation, but it was very minor and healed up quickly.  I do have some wicked stretch marks, but my body's prone to those and they fade.  My belly skin is a bit stretched, but over a relatively small area.  My lady parts are almost totally normal.  The only lingering effect TMI warning!!! my tampons fall out when I use the toilet sometimes.  That's it!  No complaints from my DH, all good.

Don't sweat it!  There's every reason to believe you're body will be yours again in no time. 

Best wishes!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#8 of 8 Old 05-08-2013, 08:21 PM

I've. Been seeing a practioner of Mayn belly massage. Super helpful to help get my poor stretched uterus and other internal organs bloodflow.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page