Was your fundal height indicative of a multiple pregnancy? I am 46 cm at 30 weeks! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 8 Old 06-19-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
 
RiverSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Paradise
Posts: 7,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I seem to be measuring pretty large.  I do already have 3 children, and I am 42 years old, and I have been told that I had extra amniotic fluid before (with 1st and 2nd children).  I am in the process of choosing an OBGYN (was hoping to go unassisted, as with my third child, but I feel like I might need to check this out), so I haven't had any ultrasounds.  

 

What do you think?  How much larger were your fundal heights during your pregnancy?  Does my measurement seem like I could be having multiples this time?  

 

P.S.  My husband's brother does have fraternal twins, but we thought it was due to his wife's genetics, as there was one other set of twins in her family.  

 

Thank you in advance!

RiverSky is offline  
#2 of 8 Old 06-19-2013, 06:19 PM
 
Emelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Couch or rocker.
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure fraternal twins comes from the mother's side of the family. My fundal height only measured 3-4 cm ahead the whole time and it was my second pregnancy. That is a pretty big uterus though! Does it feel like 2 in there? Can you palpate the body parts? How much bigger where you measuring with the extra fluid with your other pregnancies? In a similar range as this one? Obviously if your instinct is telling you to go in and get it checked out you should! Let us know what you find out!


Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
Emelee is offline  
#3 of 8 Old 06-19-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
 
RiverSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Paradise
Posts: 7,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emelee View Post

I'm pretty sure fraternal twins comes from the mother's side of the family. My fundal height only measured 3-4 cm ahead the whole time and it was my second pregnancy. That is a pretty big uterus though! Does it feel like 2 in there? Can you palpate the body parts? How much bigger where you measuring with the extra fluid with your other pregnancies? In a similar range as this one? Obviously if your instinct is telling you to go in and get it checked out you should! Let us know what you find out!

Emelee, I have never had any idea what position my babies were in.  I would peruse Spinning Babies and try to figure it out, but I could never tell if different jabs I felt were kicks or punches or stretches or hiccups.  I still can't tell.  

 

Alas, I don't know what my measurements were back then but I truly don't think they were THIS much bigger.  I will say though that I am wearing the same maternity clothing as with my last pregnancy (DD is just over 2 1/2 and still nursing) but everything is much snugger (like the stretchy waists of my Motherhood shorts) and my maternity shirts seem very short, like I don't know how in the world I'm going to dress myself in 8 or 10 weeks!  Nothing will fit!  ;) 

Thank you for your reply!!!

RiverSky is offline  
#4 of 8 Old 06-19-2013, 06:44 PM
 
TizTaz5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, just wanted to chime in and share my experience...fraternal twins are also likely in older moms...I am 36 years old and am almost 35.5 weeks into a fraternal pregnancy....as you get older and near menopause, your FSH levels go up, and you often release more than one egg. If you are 42, that might be what happened. My family doctor also told me women on thyroid hormones are also more likely to have twins...I have Hashimoto's Disease and take meds...so that can be a factor, too.

I am measuring big also but not considerably big. We had no real idea it was twins until I finally had an ultrasound at almost 33 weeks, but one day, when I was 20 weeks or so, I had a thought it was twins, but dismissed it. Shoulda listened to that inner voice more closely....LOL. :-)

TizTaz5, wife of a wonderful husband and mother of an angel (lost June '09) and two rainbow1284.gif babies born in July '13. Great things really do come in pairs!
TizTaz5 is offline  
#5 of 8 Old 06-19-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
 
RiverSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Paradise
Posts: 7,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TizTaz5 View Post

Hey, just wanted to chime in and share my experience...fraternal twins are also likely in older moms...I am 36 years old and am almost 35.5 weeks into a fraternal pregnancy....as you get older and near menopause, your FSH levels go up, and you often release more than one egg. If you are 42, that might be what happened. My family doctor also told me women on thyroid hormones are also more likely to have twins...I have Hashimoto's Disease and take meds...so that can be a factor, too.

I am measuring big also but not considerably big. We had no real idea it was twins until I finally had an ultrasound at almost 33 weeks, but one day, when I was 20 weeks or so, I had a thought it was twins, but dismissed it. Shoulda listened to that inner voice more closely....LOL. :-)

Congratulations!  I am sure you are so excited!

 

Thank you so much for your reply.  I have also had a feeling that there were twins in there for a very long time, just a vague feeling, but the truth is, I have thought that before with other pregnancies and had singletons.  I just assumed I am prone to that, since I have a niece and nephew with twins, and a few friends with twins, it just seems like twins are all around!  

I did know about the prevalence of twins going up with age, because I remember my SIL saying that when she was having her twins at the age of 35 (many years ago, they are 15 now).  I have not been on any meds.  

 

I am planning a doctor or midwife visit soon because I really want to know, but right now, we have chicken pox in the house (no worries, I am immune) so I think I should wait until it's all gone before infecting up the place.  :D

RiverSky is offline  
#6 of 8 Old 06-20-2013, 01:16 PM
 
TizTaz5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, congratulations to you also, RiverSky! Whether it is one or two babies for you, it has to be exciting for you as well.

Good luck with the chicken pox issue...do all 3 of your kids have it? My brother brought it home when he was 6, right before school let out for summer vacation, and then I caught it from him...I was about 12...now, that was a fun way to start off our summer vacation. LOL But at least I am now immune to it. One of my nieces had it at 15, when we were visiting her (she lives overseas). I was thrilled to get the exposure, but when I tried to hug her, she recoiled and said, "You don't want to get this!" I told her that I was immune, but she still freaked out. Kids.

I saw a high-risk doctor today who really upset me. I am going to see someone else asap. The doc today tried to bully me into an early induction. My husband and I said, "No way!", barring there being a hugely compelling reason to do one, and there isn't one. I am fine, and so are my girls. Good luck finding a good caregiver. There are good ones, it is just so hard to find them. Keep me posted, and I will update you. Again, I hope your kids recover soon. How old are they?

TizTaz5, wife of a wonderful husband and mother of an angel (lost June '09) and two rainbow1284.gif babies born in July '13. Great things really do come in pairs!
TizTaz5 is offline  
#7 of 8 Old 06-20-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
 
RiverSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Paradise
Posts: 7,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TizTaz5 View Post

Well, congratulations to you also, RiverSky! Whether it is one or two babies for you, it has to be exciting for you as well.

Good luck with the chicken pox issue...do all 3 of your kids have it? My brother brought it home when he was 6, right before school let out for summer vacation, and then I caught it from him...I was about 12...now, that was a fun way to start off our summer vacation. LOL But at least I am now immune to it. One of my nieces had it at 15, when we were visiting her (she lives overseas). I was thrilled to get the exposure, but when I tried to hug her, she recoiled and said, "You don't want to get this!" I told her that I was immune, but she still freaked out. Kids.

I saw a high-risk doctor today who really upset me. I am going to see someone else asap. The doc today tried to bully me into an early induction. My husband and I said, "No way!", barring there being a hugely compelling reason to do one, and there isn't one. I am fine, and so are my girls. Good luck finding a good caregiver. There are good ones, it is just so hard to find them. Keep me posted, and I will update you. Again, I hope your kids recover soon. How old are they?

 

Oh yes, we're very happy.  

 

No, surprisingly only 1 of my 3 children have the chicken pox (the 11 year old, not the 14 or 2 year olds), but hopefully, they will catch it from her.  It's odd to have to wait it out at home for so long.  My daughter has had a couple of yucky nights, waking up and not being able to sleep due to itching, and has woken me up to cover her in calamine lotion, but there was only one day where she felt yucky and blah all day, and two days of cheeriness.  She has a ton of pox but is being such a super trooper!

 

Ah, sorry about the crappy doctor.  I asked a midwife today if she would at least give me prenatal care, then I would use an affiliated OBGYN for a c-section (mind you, I would LOVE to try a VBA3C, say at The Farm, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards), but she refused.  We have VERY few midwives and that midwife was in a neighboring county, even.  I could use the OBGYN that I used last time but I really didn't mesh that well with her and just don't want to.  I hope I can find someone else who will give me minimal intervention and just let me relax and have my baby or babies!  I just need someone to check on how many are in there!  I'm tempted to go to a mall 3D ultrasound place just to see and dispense with all the other drama, but I'm not a fan of ultrasounds (potential damage?) and worry that the 3D ultrasounds may be more damaging than hospital ones.  And I totally agree with you...I doubt you will have any true indicators for induction and you will feel so great if you can let your babies tell YOU when they are ready to be born.  I didn't go into labor with my last DD until she was 42 weeks and 1 day!!!  When she was born, she was born so awake and alive and ready for everything, it was amazing.  I had allowed induction and c-section with my first two children, both born at 40 weeks and in comparison, they weren't nearly as ready to be born.  Oh, if I had known then what I know now...  :)

RiverSky is offline  
#8 of 8 Old 07-11-2013, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
 
RiverSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Paradise
Posts: 7,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this in another thread but wanted tosay the same here:


Thanks, everyone! I finally got into the obgyn and had an ultrasound today. My single baby is doing great and the obgyn measured me and got 36 cm at 33 weeks, so I seem to have been way off!!! Baby is still seemingly very big and though I have ample amniotic fluid, I am in the range of normal.

Thank you again and best wishes to you and your babies!!!
RiverSky is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off