colic, torticollis, and plagiocephaly oh my! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-30-2013, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My babies had their 2 month check up on Friday (they will be 10 weeks on Wednesday the 3rd)

Honestly I've been going a bit insane with the amount of crying/screaming coming from Owen, occasionally for a whole hour, but more often than not lots of little bursts throughout the day, a need to be constantly held, etc. We have had many a time where he's crying, I'm crying, and my other baby is crying. Lots of crying. The doctor diagnosed him with colic which I know doesn't mean a lot except unexplained crying but it helps me feel better. It's supposed to start tapering off by 2 months and go away by 4....but that's another 2 months I have to endure this. Does anyone have any recommendations for how to deal with colic? He responds pretty well to the Baby Got Colic soundtrack but it's not a cure-all, for example today he cried for about 45 minutes and I tried the soundtrack as loudly as I can make it on our speakers, regular white noise, shhhhing him, distracting him with toys and books, swinging him, carrying him, rocking him, taking him outside for a change of scenery, nothing worked until he wore himself out. I try to wear him as often as possible but it's very challenging because I can't pick up my other baby when I've got him on my chest.

Secondly, Wyatt has torticollis and plagiocephaly. Apparently it's pretty common in twins for them to be so squished in the womb that one side of their neck muscles are tighter, causing them to constantly turn one direction. Besides an obvious tilt, he's developed a flat spot on the back of his head because whenever he lays he favors the one side. This is causing a shift in his skull and a little protrusion on his forehead from the back of his head flattening. Believe me, I'm mortified, although apparently it's common. The doc gave us exercises to do to stretch his neck out, ideas for preventing him from turning to the side he favors when laying, and told us to do lots and lots of tummy time (which he is so not interested in, he'd rather just lay on his belly than try to lift his head up). I also discovered a product that is a little hat with a flexible tube attached to prevent them from rolling to whatever side they favor (It's called the Tortle).

.....I guess part of me just wants to let it all out for a minute. I'm sure others have had babies with worse problems, but to me this feels like the maximum I can handle. It is SO CHALLENGING to have these two problems. Owen is screaming and fussing and needy constantly and Wyatt is mellow and calm but needs to be held and supported so his head gets better. I have tremendous guilt that Wyatt already has a flat spot/protrusion and am so scared it won't get fixed. (I plan on calling the doc again to ask at what point we go the helmet route). I just don't feel like I can give enough time to him (holding him, carrying him, tummy time, exercises, etc) when Owen is constantly screaming bloody murder and needing to be held. I am so torn and I feel completely overwhelmed. A pamphlet the doc gave us about colic says that it's a "two person job" and here I am one person carrying for not only a colicky baby but another baby that also needs to be held and carefully cared for to prevent permanent damage to his head! I feel like there is no solution that will make everyone happy.

:(

I have a little support. My brother comes over a few days a week in the afternoon and my friend comes over on Wednesday mornings. I've reached out to others and I have a few stay at home mommy friends that I'm going to try to set up regular "dates" with to help me keep my sanity and pay attention to both babies' needs. My husband is awesome but he's only home in the mornings before work and in the evenings. More often than not, it's me by myself from 8am - 7pm.

And on top of ALL of this, I have pretty severe diastasis recti and it hurts my belly to have them on it, not to mention it's just depressing all in it self because my belly sticks out like I'm pregnant (and people have asked! When I have infants with me!). I'm seeing a physical therapist in about a week and a half and am moderately optimistic, but I feel helpless right now.

Thank you for listening.

First time mom to twin boys born April 24! luxlove.gif Owen & Wyatt luxlove.gif

#2 of 13 Old 07-01-2013, 05:23 PM

Hugs. Twins are hard. 

I remember the frustration of having one baby cry and feeling like the other one should have his "turn" to get my attention, too. 

Have you considered taking walks with one in a sling and other in a stroller? You could alternate who is in the stroller so both babies got some close time with you. And, not many people will look at you funny if you're pushing a stroller of crying baby.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#3 of 13 Old 07-02-2013, 07:15 PM

The only thing I can really suggest is to wear both of them if it's physically possible for you. I really think that's what kept my girls from getting flat spots (their older sister did and she was just a singleton so I learned my lesson!). It also helped to keep them from screaming all day and my arms didn't give out from carrying them that way. It allowed me to have some freedom to take care of older dd as well as cook/clean.

I also have the stomach that sticks out no matter how much I suck it in from diastasis recti. My husband recently asked when it was going to be normal again since the twins were a year old and why it wasn't healed yet. Ugh. I told him that I haven't had all the time in the world to work on correcting it so he needs to be patient!!

Hang in there! So soon they'll be holding their own heads up which I find makes life so much easier!

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#4 of 13 Old 07-02-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support. I think that's a great idea. We have a double stroller that is really cumbersome, but maybe I could get a cheapo simple one to push one baby while wearing the other.

#5 of 13 Old 07-02-2013, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Emelee. Did you wear them both on front? I have a size 2 wrap that I use as a ring sling and a size 4. I am really hesitant to wear one on my back just yet. Someone told me I could wear two ring slings, right now I only have one. Today I spent most of the day switching back and forth who was in the sling and then holding the other or hoping the other would sleep in the swing.

#6 of 13 Old 07-03-2013, 07:34 AM

When they were teenie I could fit both in one ring sling. Then I moved to 2 ring slings but that didn't last long because by 3 months mine had enough head control that I could put one on my back in the mei tai or in a wrap on my back. I would suggest looking into local babywearing groups as well as looking online. There a some groups on facebook for tandem babywearing. Some gals even wear all 3 triplets at once!!!! Just remember that this time is so so so so short and then they will be sitting and entertaining themselves more. Newborn phase has never been my favorite, haha!

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#7 of 13 Old 07-03-2013, 01:44 PM

Oh my goodness, hugs! That is ALOT to deal with. Being on your own for that amount of time each day is exhausting, I know. All we can do is be tough and persistent in our efforts while these little ones adapt to their new lives. 

A couple thoughts for Wyatt and finding time for his neck exercises.

Wether breast or bottle feeding position him so that he has to turn his head in the opposite direction as much as he can and show any helpers how to do the same. 

Leave wash cloths near any space where you set him down to sleep. Catch him in a deep sleep, roll up the wash cloth like a mini bolster and use it to position his head in a gentle passive stretch.

Your physical therapy for diastasis recti at 12 weeks pp will include exercises where you are laying on your back feet flat on the floor. Usually moms start with a simple pelvic tilt and activation of the transverse abdominus. Put Wyatt face down on your chest, hold him around the ribcage and lift him up and down while your doing your own exercises. Two birds with one stone. He gets modified tummy time and can look at your smiling face while you do your tummy time, so to speak. 

Stay strong little momma. Twins are a two man job on a good day. Feels like a four man task on a bad one. 

Wild crazy in love with DF hug.gif. Starting a family together with his pups dog2.gif, my cats cat.gif and our twin girls, born 3-26-13. familybed2.gif

#8 of 13 Old 07-04-2013, 08:51 PM

Just want to send hugs! It gets easier, every day, then harder, then easier again. Be gentle with yourself you will get through this. The babies are loved and your doing all you can. Hang in there!
#9 of 13 Old 07-07-2013, 12:37 PM

Have you heard of the BabyMoon pillow? It's supposed to help with flat headedness and you can get it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/BabyMoon-Pillow-Syndrome-Support-Minky/dp/B004LKNQF6/ref=br_it_dp_o_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=144QEPOM8D1BQ&coliid=I1FMLJE0T0SOJ8

Also, my OBs recommended this series of workouts on DVD that are supposed to prevent/correct diastasis recti. I haven't tried them, but maybe it'd be something to look into? http://www.thediamethod.com/

I'm sorry you're having a tough go of it right now, just hang in there and you can be ready to tell me the same come February :)

Strawberry lover, dog-person, New Yorker. wool.gif (Who doesn't love a jump-roping sheep?)

#10 of 13 Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 AM

Hi jessmn: Congrats on your twin boys! I'm so, so sorry to read about your baby Owen's health problems related to colic and the challenges you're handling with Wyatt. About the colic, studies have found that colic can originate with a flare-up in the intestines due to too much bad bacteria. The good news: Giving your baby a multi-strain probiotic may lessen those intestinal problems and relieve the colic as well as all those tears. Good luck with those growing twin boys!

#11 of 13 Old 08-27-2013, 05:29 AM

My girls both had torticollis and plagiocephaly- did your dr refer you to your state's early intervention program for physical therapy? Often babies with torticollis end up qualifying for occupational therapy too. PT was a godsend for us- their range of motion increased quickly. With twins I just didn't have time to focus on stretching and repositioning all the time. My girls had mild flat spots and we did end up with helmets for 2 months.
#12 of 13 Old 08-27-2013, 12:14 PM

Sorry about the colic, I don't know if DD1 had colic or what, but I just called her high needs and intense, ie did not ever want to be put down. Carriers/slings and a bouncy seat when I needed to put her down (she tolerated it better than on her back or belly, especially if she could see me or hear me). She hated the car, but if your boys like the car then use it as you need to. Baths sometimes helped DD1, but I know how much more difficult bathing twins is vs. one. And occasionally when I was alone if I couldn't take it anymore, I would put her down in a safe space, close the door and give myself a minute or so to regroup, if you need to do that, its ok! Keep calling in support, that was the biggest help for me and I'm glad you are able to ask for help, asking was hard for me with DD1. hug.gif I think the one in a sling one in a stroller idea is a good one too!

For the flat heads, my twins have that too and I'm really working harder at it now as it hasn't gotten much better from their 2 to 4 month appointments. When they are awake, I'm keeping them sitting up (in a bumbo or in arms), on their bellies or sides, or on their backs with interesting stuff to make them turn the other way. My babies don't have any problem turning the other way, but they really prefer that flat side. I was propping their heads with rolled up blankets/cloths in the carseats/bouncers (only when an adult was watching), but they are mostly too strong for that now, but sometimes it works. When they are sleeping now, I'm waiting for them to be in a more deep sleep and then gently turning their heads. Last night about 50% of the time they had turned back when I came in, so it is helping. I mean, I try and lay them with their head the other way, but they turn immediately 95% of the time. I never had this problem with DD1 as she hated being put down, so it's a new challenge made harder with twins as I really don't have extra time/energy to be keeping on top of it. I really felt bad after my 4 month appointment, like I just can't win, something is always slipping greensad.gif Hope you don't mind me joining in with some complaining of my own there.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#13 of 13 Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 PM

Oh hugs to you Jess!  I know how it feels to have one really fussy baby on your hands plus another baby who needs extra attention!  Your original post is 2 months old, are things better now? 

My calm baby also had a misshapen head.  It was really heavy and he couldn't really look straight up at the ceiling when he was flat on his back.  His head would just flop over to one side.  I tried propping him the best I could and keeping him off the flat spot.  It look alot better now, although it's still a little misshapen.

My dd was very fussy.  I found relief by changing my diet (cutting out dairy, chocolate, grains, and of course coffee) and I took her to the chiropractor once.  She is a new baby, in fact she is calmer now than my ds, who is teething really bad.   I also just keep my expectations really low.  I know I'm not going to accomplish much every day, but this really is a short season of my life.  That's what I tell myself when I'm walking around with both babies. 

Did you ever figure out how to wear both of them?  I am contemplating buying a second Ergo to start using in a month or so.  I wonder if I can actually get much housework done though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page