Zygosity testing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-20-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys! I feel like I never have time to get online anymore, but I just got a new laptop (you know, where the battery works and I dont have to be plugged in somewhere).

As a refesher, I have di/di girls that were born without induction at 35 weeks and looked exactly alike at birth. They have matching blood types. No history of twins in our family.

Our girls are 6 months, and they still look SO much alike. They both sleep in the same positions, eat the exact same amount, both want the same toys, both laugh at the same things, both get fussy/sleep/hungry at the same time. Now, I know some of those things can be coincidences, and would happen no matter what two babies you put together, but we are really starting to be in the camp that they might be identical.

So, we are leaning towards getting the zygosity testing done, mainly for my peace of mind about having another child. We both want ONE more, but we'd like to do some research about how likely having a second set is. We werent even planning to try until these two were two, but the birth control I was taken was not working out for me, and Ive had it removed. And, I have never, ever had a problem getting pregnant. (note:Ive gotten pregnant twice without a menstrual cycle preceding ovulation).

I am wondering if any of you have had the test done, and if so what company you used. We are looking at this company:
http://www.proactivegenetics.com/order.html

Its just a mouth swab, and just $100.00.

What do you all think? I'd love to hear from other people who have had testing done. Also, here is a pic of our girls (just for your viewing pleasure).

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#2 of 12 Old 07-21-2013, 07:39 PM

I'm de-lurking to say the following:

Your girls are as similar looking as my (identical twin) sister and I. I would say they are identical.  Feel free to get the test if you like.
My sister and I were never tested; it was fairly obvious as time went on though.

treehugger.gifQueer Not-A-Mama-Yet, here to read and lurk until it is time to have the babies...

#3 of 12 Old 07-21-2013, 09:30 PM

Just have to say they are super cute - and look identical
#4 of 12 Old 07-22-2013, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Gosh, your girls are SO adorable!  They look identical to me, too.  

I'll be interested to hear if anyone has any recs for testing.  To my husband and I, our mo/di girls look identical.  But one is quite a bit smaller than the other, and has less hair, so sometimes we just aren't sure.  Someday I would like to satisfy my curiosity and find out for certain.  My mother's instinct tells me they are.

Robin read.gifPartner to J bikenew.gif and mom to G & R 10/3/12 twins.gif 
#5 of 12 Old 07-22-2013, 04:29 PM

I thought all mono-di and mono-mono twins had to be identical and about 25% of di-di are also ID.

#6 of 12 Old 07-23-2013, 02:26 PM

Edelweiss98, I think they pretty much always are.  Wiki says "Monochorionic-Diamniotic twins are almost always monozygotic, with a few exceptions where the blastocysts have fused."  So I suppose there are some times when Mo/Di is not monozygotic, but it sounds rare.

Robin read.gifPartner to J bikenew.gif and mom to G & R 10/3/12 twins.gif 
#7 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 08:34 AM

OP, my sons were mono-di. I can't understand how babies could share a chorion without being monozygotic. I've heard of placentas being fused, but examination by a pathologist would still be able to determine if it was one placenta or two fused placentas.

We never bothered with testing, because the membrane analysis was conclusive. But there are a lot of little things you can look for. Shape of ears, toes, nose; hair swirls or cowlicks (though they may be mirror-image). My sons cut their first tooth on the same day. Things that may not be the same: amount of hair (one of my boys had long hair at birth; the other had peach fuzz); birthmarks (one of mine has a birthmark on his tummy; the other has one on his temple); voices - I could tell mine apart by their cries by the time they were a few months old, and now that they are adults, one has a much deeper voice.

Our sons have different, but similar, fingerprints. For example, if one has a whorl on his right thumb, so does the other.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#8 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

OP here.  My  babes are Di-Di, just for reference. I think someone upthread was asking about mono di. 

Thanks everyone so far. Im not particularly interested just for them, as in I dont really care if they are Frat or ID- I just want to know what the chances of it happening again are. 

Any moms of more than one set want to chime in?

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#9 of 12 Old 07-26-2013, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

adaline"s mama well i know it is rare but in my family there 40 sets of twins and 16 set of triples and yes they were all natural my mom had three set of those twins and i lost a set of triples at about 8 weeks along and my mom had that test done and it told her and we where all di and she was told that she was not like to have any more twins

happily in love with dh blowkiss.gif and raise my three jelly beansjumpers.gif and missing my  babies in heavenangel3.gifangel3.gifangel2.gifangel1.gifangel1.gifangel1.gif angel.gif we finely got are rainbow and me and her daddy are so glad are rainbow is here  born on 11/07/2013 
#10 of 12 Old 07-26-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

unusleyriver- blarg. Thats not what I wanted to hear. I wanted to hear, no way will you ever have another set! :) so sorry for your losses hug2.gif

Well, I ordered the test today. It should be here within 2-3 business days, and then we do the swabs, send it back and they should give me the results within 7 days- even sooner in email maybe. 

I posted a poll in TAO if you want to vote to see if they are Frat/ID

SIDS happens. 

#11 of 12 Old 08-13-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

They are identical!

SIDS happens. 

#12 of 12 Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

cool and congrats i thought they where they just look to much a like

happily in love with dh blowkiss.gif and raise my three jelly beansjumpers.gif and missing my  babies in heavenangel3.gifangel3.gifangel2.gifangel1.gifangel1.gifangel1.gif angel.gif we finely got are rainbow and me and her daddy are so glad are rainbow is here  born on 11/07/2013 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page