Help with diaper cover count - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-28-2013, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello multiple mamas!
I have a friend due in October with her first babies- twins-and I am making her wool diaper covers for the first two sizes.
My question are...
Has anyone here cloth diapered twins and can you help me figure out how many wool covers to knit for the set of em?

Is it safe to assume that I should make teensy butt sizes to start with? All my babies were 8-9 lbs so I dont have a good measurement in mind to go by. She is a pretty small gal height wise.

And any random pieces of advice for me as I start knitting... I've only had singletons so my perspective is wildly different than yours.

Thanks so much for any input!

Yurt livin mama with three free range wild things 11/05, 10/07, and a wee new squish 7/13, and one two three four five little angels. Knitting junkie, sewing obsessed. Falls asleep to the sound of coyotes singing.
#2 of 4 Old 08-28-2013, 07:33 PM

7-8 covers per size should be adequate. I would say start with newborn size, if you have measurements for that. A lot of twins come home in the 5-6 lb range although they can be larger, too. 

#3 of 4 Old 08-29-2013, 06:12 AM

my twins were 7.5 lbs at birth.  I think we had 6 covers in each size. Will she have other covers, too, or only the wool ones? 

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#4 of 4 Old 08-29-2013, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not certain what others will give her, right now she has nothing lined up that I'm aware of. I've got three newborn already made but they didn't fit my 8.5lb newborn by a long shot- unless using a fitted diaper to trim things up. That's what got me thinking about sizes.

I guess if they don't fit her littles I can donate them to my midwife's practice, I just don't know if I'll be able to finish 12 diaper covers by October for the just-in -case scenario...
I'm knitting for another baby that month too!

As an afterthought to my original post-
Has anyone found a wrap style pattern they like? It seems like for time's sake with two babies it might be easier for her than pinning and pulling.

Yurt livin mama with three free range wild things 11/05, 10/07, and a wee new squish 7/13, and one two three four five little angels. Knitting junkie, sewing obsessed. Falls asleep to the sound of coyotes singing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page