Is NO bed rest possible? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 04-28-2004, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, Twin moms,

It seems all I hear from twin moms is bed rest and early deliveries... Is there anyone you know of that went to term with twins and did not have to be ordered on to bed rest?

Thanks,
#2 of 35 Old 04-28-2004, 01:44 AM

Most moms of multiples I know didn't go on bedrest, though it was rare for them to go beyond 37 weeks. I ended up in the hospital, but that was due to illness, not a bedrest need per se. I think my guys would have at least gone to 40 weeks, but MY body (aside from my uterus and cervix, which were great!) was not handling stuff well at the endpoint.

However, please be aware that most OBs will definitely err on the conservative side of things.

I think that if you take good care of yourself, make sure to meet the new updated nutritional guidelines, drink a ton of water, and make sure not to do anything foolish (like run a marathon when you're 32 weeks) you stand a great chance of not going on bedrest.

But...it might happen. I think that it's always a good thing to have Plan B (in case of bedrest) in place so you don't stress out about it.
#3 of 35 Old 04-28-2004, 01:05 PM

i had preemies (29 weeks) but I know a good many women who went full term with no bed rest! my sil went to 40 weeks 3 days

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#4 of 35 Old 04-28-2004, 03:27 PM

My girls were born at 38w3d weighing in at 6 lbs. 13 oz. and 7 lbs. 1 oz. and I was never on any restrictions during my pregnancy. In fact, I continued to breastfeed my oldest dd until the beginning of my 3rd trimester which was right after she turned 2. My OB was fine with me nursing and didn't encourage me to wean at all. I gained around 60 lbs. and measured 52 cm's when I gave birth. Both girls were vaginally delivered even though my Baby B was breech. My OB turned her once I delivered Baby A and she was born 47 minutes after her sister. Both girls nursed within 1 hour of their birth and are now happy nursing toddlers.

Do you have the book "When You're Expecting Twins..." by Dr. Barbara Luke? You can buy it on Amazon.com and I think it's a MUST HAVE for Mama's expecting more then one baby. Also, "Having Twins" by Elizabeth Nobel and "Mothering Multiples" which is published by LLL.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#5 of 35 Old 04-28-2004, 03:32 PM

40 weeks, 2 days, no bedrest.

HAving Twins by Noble is GREAT. and i second or third...what tigerchild said.

Drink a TON of water and lots of protein. No sugar or junky food. Keep your blood volume up third trimester by eating protein round the clock, drinking lots of water round the clock and salting your food. (Anne Frye has a great by small section on twins in Holistic Midwifery)
#6 of 35 Old 04-28-2004, 05:04 PM

The others have already said it all, I think...It is totally possible to avoid bedrest. Make sure you take care of yourself. I second the thoughts on When You Are Having Twins, Triplets or More and Mothering Multiples.

Congratulations! I love having twins

Alisa, mama to Ella and Isabel, 16 months
#7 of 35 Old 04-28-2004, 05:28 PM

my SIL went 40+weeks with her twins-one was 9 pounds something and one was 8 pounds something...

they were children numbers 4 and 5-they have 6 now...
#8 of 35 Old 04-28-2004, 07:44 PM

I didn't have bed rest.
They were about 2 wks early which is considered safe.
They're were delivered vaginally after about a 15 hr labor.
It was actually and easier labor than with my singlton who was my first born.
Fiona was second and came out feet first which was tricky, but I had good experienced OBGYNs.
I guess it may depend on if the mother's health, prior pregnancies and age before conception. I don't know the statistics on that, but I'd assume if she had a preexisting condition there would be higher risk.
#9 of 35 Old 04-28-2004, 11:30 PM
Banned

No bed rest here either. I went 38 weeks and had two healthy babies. I was even old. 39 :
#10 of 35 Old 04-29-2004, 09:44 AM

I was told around 32 weeks that I needed to cut down on my working outside the home. The doctor originally wanted me home from 32 weeks on, but I persuaded her that I should do half days instead (I teach). I was doing fine until 34 weeks when I went into premature labour (and didn't even know it! duh!) and dialated to 4 cm. Thankfully, labour did not progress and I hung on til 35 weeks 5 days before my water broke. I had been on full bedrest those last 12 or so days. My boys weighed in at 6lbs12oz and 7lbs7oz.
#11 of 35 Old 04-30-2004, 12:55 PM

I was on bedrest from 29-35 weeks, but I don't think I really needed to be. I went into "preterm labor," but I don't think it really was PT labor because my cervix never dilated. I was having BH contrax. every five minutes, so I was put on meds. and bedrest. I stopped taking the meds (allergic reaction), but stayed on bedrest for six weeks. I still had the BH contrax. all the time, though not as much as when I was walking around. I had been teaching kindergarten full-time up until then, and I was really tired. In some ways it was nice to be told to take a break, although I did get really bored.

I went off bedrest at 35 weeks and made it all the way to the scheduled c-section at 38 weeks, 2 days (both of my babies were breech, and I couldn't find anyone who would assist me in delivering them vaginally). I would have gone longer, but I really just couldn't take it any longer. I never thought I would put my own comfort before my babies, but I was really, really done. Those last few weeks (35-38 weeks) were the hardest weeks of my life.

I drank lots and lots and lots of water and milk (the easiest way for me to get enough protein). My babies weighed 8-7 and 6-4 and were very healthy.

Good luck and congratulations!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#12 of 35 Old 04-30-2004, 05:01 PM

No bedrest here. I was at work the day the boys were born. I went to 36 weeks and the boys were 5 lbs 9 oz and 4 lbs 15 oz. They went home the same day I did. My neightbor also has twins. She went to 38 weeks, still worked and had two healthy boys as well!
#13 of 35 Old 05-01-2004, 12:16 AM

i was never put on bedrest
tho' in the last few weeks i became so swollen and uncomfortable
that i spent a lot of time w/ my feet up
by my own choosing
i also nursed my older daughter (she still is)
and she was 17 mos. old when they were born
i delivered at 37 + 6 days
and they were 6lbs and 8lbs 11oz
i think a LOT of women go full term
(to at least 37 weeks) these days as more is known
about good nutrition

if you go to twinstuff.com
they have put all the members' data on a table that you can look at
weeks gestation, babies weights, etc.
it can give you an idea of normal ranges
#14 of 35 Old 05-02-2004, 04:00 PM

I know a lot of twin moms who lasted until "term" (at least 36 weeks for twin pregnancies) and had totally healthy babes

I had mine at 31 weeks and only spent a week on bedrest when I went into labor at 30 weeks until they had to be delivered but mine was because of other factors other than just the twins, I think. I did everything perfectly, followed the perfect diet, was doing great until 30 weeks when "pop". (But I have a heart disease and was on heart meds so I think that had something to do with it...)

Anyway, I definitly know more twin moms who went to term then who didn't!

SAHMama to the "Fantastic Four"- 10 yr old b/g twins, 7 yr old boy, 5 yr old girl... : and expecting a miracle baby Feb. 2010...: Married for 11 yrs to my handsome Police Officer :cop:
#15 of 35 Old 05-03-2004, 12:24 PM

No bed rest for me!
My twins were a surprise at delivery, though, so nobody was watching and expecting that for me. They are my 5th and 6th children.
The girls came at just past 37 weeks and were both breach, folded up and bottoms first........delivered just fine! No squished up, funny shaped heads! They weighed 7lbs 10oz and 7lbs 3oz
I had complained about swollen ankles and a vericose vein in one leg.....I remember my nurse laughing that those were normal pregnancy complaints and I said that they weren't for me!!!

I found Mothering Multiples from LLL to be a real blessing. I was trying to catch up after the fact, since I had obviously not read anything before they were born! I had a friend who read it first and bookmarked the things she thought would be helpful to me........one of the greatest gifts I've been given, since there was so much that I didn't need or already knew, and my time was SO limited right then.

Wishing you many blessings in your pregnancy and delivery!
K
#16 of 35 Old 05-04-2004, 12:41 AM

When I was 37 weeks, my "high risk" OB actually paraded me around her office: "Look, 37 weeks with twins and she's still working!"

My twins were born at 39 weeks, 4 days (I don't believe the adage that 36 weeks is "full term for twins". BS. Just because they have a sibling in there, they don't need as long to cook?) and weighed over 6 and over 7 pounds.

I took it easy the last 3 weeks, but only because for the last 6 weeks I was 85% effaced and 5 cm dilated! Didn't want anyone to fall out before their time!

Totally possible. I second, third, whatever, the books mentioned, as well as Dr. Tom Brewer's Blue Ribbon Baby method. I truly believe that helped my babies go to term, and come out bigger than my singleton. I think it's www.blueribbonbaby.com .
#17 of 35 Old 05-04-2004, 12:42 AM

Oh that's not the link, that's some child photo contest.

Anyone have Dr. Brewer's link?
#18 of 35 Old 05-09-2004, 03:19 AM

My twins were born at 39 weeks, 4 days (I don't believe the adage that 36 weeks is "full term for twins". BS. Just because they have a sibling in there, they don't need as long to cook?) and weighed over 6 and over 7 pounds.

i'm not sure that this is BS
i have not seen the research myself
but when i was pregnant w/ my twins
my midwife talked to me about this - twins being full term
at 36 weeks and "probably" ok to deliver at home at 35
apparently the research shows that multiples' lungs
DO mature at a faster rate - more surfactant present earlier
it is all part of nature's (usually) perfect plan
it is harder on the mama's body to carry more than one
and chances are she won't make it to 39 or 40 weeks
so they are ready faster
pregnancy and childbirth are so miraculous to me
that i totally believe this can be true
#19 of 35 Old 05-09-2004, 11:43 AM

My sisters friend had twin girls, born at 39 weeks, no bedrest- each baby was around 7 lbs, the 2nd was breech, vaginal delivery, no epidural.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#20 of 35 Old 05-13-2004, 02:05 PM

No bedrest here-I had a homebirth and went to 39 weeks. My girls were 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 pounds. I could have gone to 40 weeks, but I took herbs to speed things up. I was having some issues and needed to get the labor going. I read a great article in my newspaper recently that says bedrest is so unneccesary in many cases and can actually do more harm than good. I took it easy and never overdid it.
#21 of 35 Old 05-13-2004, 04:43 PM

www.blueribbonbaby.org is Dr. Brewer's site

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#22 of 35 Old 05-18-2004, 04:31 PM

Hi Savannah, I've asked that same question myself. I'm 33wks 2days today and no bed rest has been ordered for me! I'm still working. 3 days/wk (sit at a computer). I run after my 16 mos son too. I'm slowing down of course but hanging in there! I drink LOTS of water, day and night...speaking of which I'm thirsty now...and drink protein shakes to get in those extra grams.

Good luck!

Carmella
33wks 2days
id sweet baby girls edd 7-4-04 (40 weeks)
Dominic (The Dom) : 12-29-02
#23 of 35 Old 05-18-2004, 10:09 PM

I wasn't on bedrest. I was hospitalized for health problems but I wasn't put on any restrictions as far as walking, etc. In fact EVERY time I wanted to leave my hospital room the nurses had to check my chart because it's unheard of for mother's on the ante-partum floor to not be on bedrest. I was there for observation for 3 weeks, other than a few cases of contractions I was fine. I did deliver at 34w2d though - planned due to my liver problems. I never got very big, I lost weight while pregnant, and I wasn't having any problems as far as swelling etc so I don't know that I ever would have been on bedrest if I had carried longer.

A friend of mine carried til 37w3d and was never on bedrest and had no complications whatsoever...she went in for an induction but ended up having a c-section.

Michelle
#24 of 35 Old 05-22-2004, 10:11 AM

No bedrest here too and I had a high risk Twin-to-Twin pregnancy. I was taken off work at 25 weeks though because the docs felt my 40 min commute was too much but I was never put on bedrest at all until I was delivered at 29 weeks (one little guy ran out of amniotic fluid but bed rest wouldn't have helped at all).

If you're healthy and the twins are in good shape, there's no reason IMHO that you should be on bedrest.

Good luck!
#25 of 35 Old 05-25-2004, 10:27 PM

Oh yeah! My twins were born on their due date at 40 weeks,
and weighed 8,7 and 9.4. No best rest here, though I could
barely move at the end so I spent a lot of time in bed!
Read noble's book for sure! Lots of protein,
#26 of 35 Old 06-02-2004, 01:15 AM

no bedrest here either

i was told over and over i'd have my girls by thanksgiving (i was due Christmas) cause i am such a small person and there'd be no way my body could handle carrying twins any further..HAHA..this 5'1, 100lb body carried my girls 39 weeks 3days!!! i was miserable at the end though..but i never changed anything..i was active til the day before i gave birth..my girls weighed 5lbs13oz, and 5lb5 oz..which is quite impressive as i didnt look like i was carrying twins at all. i had gained 46lbs all in my belly and that was it..no one every guessed it was two in there...and after 21hours, 30 mins of pushing..i delivered my girls..A was headfirst, B was footling breech (she was transverse since about 20 weeks..but we all had hope she'd turn after A was out...but NOPE..stubborn baby lol) and had a great team of doctors there to help assist with getting B out..it only took 10 minutes after A was born

but at the end of my pregnancy.i did sleep alot more..i was just exhausted..those girls took everything out of me and i hurt so bad all the time..so i just lazed around.anywyas.
#27 of 35 Old 06-02-2004, 02:58 AM

Hi mama's! : Man I wish I could get here more often! So wonderful to hear of all these full term babies. TO answer the OP.. yes.. you can have full term babies with no bedrest. My babies are 10 months old now. We also have an 8 ad 5 year old. I went 39 weeks and 5 days in the horrid heat of July in Las Vegas! I had a wodnerful homebirth-4 hours from start to finish, and my babies were 6 lb 9 oz, and 7 lbs. 4 oz. They now are 24 pds ( boy) and 17pds( girl). It can be done! Ditto to what all these wise mamas said.... GREAT nutrition- I did alot of raw (gained 12 pds). I also saw my Chiro every 3 days or so because my pelvis would shift and start to kill. Massages.... LOTS of water, and Hotmamacitas words rerunning in my mind like a ticker tape...water, good food..etc..lol! Also, lots of good support, positive thoughts, nnon alarmist surroundings, and peace! Best of luck.

Hughestwins.homestead.com ( not updated..but gettig there)
#28 of 35 Old 06-02-2004, 05:35 PM

Hi again Savannah! I'm still hanging in there. 35w3d today!!

I'm still positive about getting to 40w!! Slowing down lots. These babes are taking everything out of me!

Hope you are doing well!!!

35w3d today!
#29 of 35 Old 06-03-2004, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

WTG, Carmella, thanks for the update! And JoDoula, your birth story is so incredible. I'll have to hold onto that one in my heart, because it sounds like exactly what I want. (Though dh and state law won't let me homebirth twins; I'll still visualize a birth nearly as perfect in the hospital setting...)

25 weeks now!
#30 of 35 Old 06-04-2004, 12:00 PM

I delivered my boys at 37w5d. No bed rest and no hospitalization, until the inducement. But my bp was up and they were ob/gyns, and I didn't know as much as I do now! DS1 was 7'15" and DS2 was 6'11", so I really couldn't imagine them staying in longer!! We went home 30 hours later, and I nursed them until they were 2+. They are seven now...and it gets easier.

Good luck!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page