pregnancy exercise - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-25-2014, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am 23 weeks along in my twin pregnancy, and with the warmer weather, I am feeling the urge to get more active. I'm wondering how much I should push myself. Throughout my singleton pregnancies,I walked fairly consistently, maybe 3.5 mile loop a few times a week. Today I did the loop, and I'm kinda beat! I have not been too active in the last few months, so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but wanted to see what y'all have to say about it. How active were you in your 2nd and 3rd trimesters?
#2 of 12 Old 02-26-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sticking with my usual 'do what works, until it doesn't' routine :)

Right now, that means walking DS home from school (2km round trip), with DD in the jogging stroller. I finally had to admit 2 weeks ago (at 25 weeks) that I can't carry her on my back in the Onya or Boba anymore, it's just too much. Sometimes I also walk DS to school, if DH is not here in the morning at the right time to drive him. One day last week I did ask DH to pick him up as well, as I was just completely worn out (that was the day after I decided I couldn't carry DD anymore!). I started the first trimester walking both to/from school daily with DD in a carrier, then doing the stroller a few trips a week, then since Christmas have been trying to coordinate with DH to have him do the morning drop off on his way to work when possible. Gradual slow down of my walks. I have walked to every midwife appt so far, but tomorrow I will drive -- their building isn't very stroller friendly -- it's an old house, and DD has to go with me. It's about 1.5 times the distance of our school walk, and I know I can't carry her on my back comfortably that long.

Aside from that, I'm not doing any 'workouts' -- but I haven't intentionally worked out in years -- we have a really active lifestyle, walk lots of places, hike, bike, ski (no skiing for me again this year!), camp, canoe etc, so that works for me.

~SynEpona~
#3 of 12 Old 02-26-2014, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds a lot like what our usual was before winter:) I would walk to/from school with 3 dds (2 on bikes, 1 in stroller) about 1 mile round trip. Then morning sickness and "cold" weather stopped me. Cold in a Austin is about 30-50 degrees;) It's been really pretty nice out the last couple months, but allergies have kept me indoors, and they are finally clearing up. I am glad you stopped carrying-sounds hardcore!!
I skimmed through the Dr Luke book which I had borrowed from the library so I can't reference it now, but I remember being surprised by her stressing not to do much at all physically, especially later in pregnancy. Am I remembering that right? I also went to a nomotc earlier this week and met several mothers that went on bed rest early and delivered quite early. I know it doesn't have to happen that way necessarily, just everyone that sat at my table happened to have that scenario:( I don't want to encourage any problems to arise, but also know I need to gear up my body a bit before labor. I don't do any real intentional working out either, but do love a good long walk/hike.
#4 of 12 Old 02-26-2014, 01:29 PM

Today, it was -12*C during our walk to get DS from school. We didn't really scale back for winter ... and I was glad to carry DD as long as I did, as when we get 10" of snow, the sidewalks aren't stroller-friendly smile.gif I'm certain we're getting more snow before winter is truly over, and hoping it happens when DH is able to do the drop off or work from home so I can leave DD here with him when I go to get DS -- our stroller is great, but 2" of snow is about the limit of what it can go through w/o it being too difficult for me!

I didn't get the Dr.Luke book ... I meant to see if there was an E-book version, should do that today before I forget again! However, none of my team of midwives seemed concerned about the walking/wearing DD and basically told me to stop when I felt it was too much, which I did. The OB - I saw her for the first time last week, and she didn't ask me anything at all about what I was eating, weight gain, fitness/exercise, etc. Overall, that appointment was completely underwhelming.

~SynEpona~
#5 of 12 Old 02-26-2014, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

BRR!! I grew up in Colorado, (not nearly as cold as that though) so I've become quite a sissy since moving to TX! Too bad they don't make skis for strollers;)
#6 of 12 Old 02-26-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaustin View Post

BRR!! I grew up in Colorado, (not nearly as cold as that though) so I've become quite a sissy since moving to TX! Too bad they don't make skis for strollers;)
They do! Our stroller is a Chariot, and there is a cross country ski kit for it! smile.gif But, we're not serious enough about x-country skiing to want to spend thefunds on the kit smile.gif especially since aside from this winter, and this pregnancy, I'm much happier to carry/wear little ones when it really gets snowy -- warmer for us both! (and I'm not even thinking about next winter .... hoping we move closer to the school before then!)

~SynEpona~
#7 of 12 Old 02-26-2014, 05:54 PM

Unfortunately I was told not to even walk with my twins. I stopped probably around 28 weeks/third trimester. They are so nuts about early labor I think it was easier to tell me not to walk rather than enforce the amount of fluids that you'll need to compensate.... And rest, don't forget rest. I am and was in fairly great shape before but I am almost 37weeks with my twins and I am looking forward to working out again. I gained 50lbs so far and it's totally all baby.. And I eat like a fat man, but I'm healthy and they are too... So I guess if you know what you're doing then walking is ok, but water is a must, like more than a gallon a day, no soda or anything just water. I mix a little cranberry juice w water every now n then... I think no matter how active I was nothing really prepared me for being this big.
#8 of 12 Old 02-26-2014, 05:57 PM

...not to mention how exhausting it is carrying twins... I wouldn't push myself bc that's energy that could have been going to their growth. My babies will be close to 7 lbs if I cook them a lil longer which is great for twins..... So idk...
#9 of 12 Old 02-26-2014, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

@SynEpona-that's great they have skis!! Too funny. Be careful out therme. My 2 year old is over 30 lbs- hope yours isn't straining you too much!
@amyc1688-woohoo! 37 weeks! love to hear your updates and am thinking of you! I googled it this afternoon and some places say ok to walk, but others say stay off feet to reduce strain on pelvic floor. Erg- so little you can do with kids in tow... would love to be swimming or something. Good tip about water-I get about a gallon down, but wake up parched! For some reason water gives me heartburn too-I put lemon in to help, but a little cranberry sounds nice. Thanks for the tips!
#10 of 12 Old 02-27-2014, 04:55 AM

I actually dream of swimming. To feel weightless ahhhhh lol at 23 weeks you could def start a swimming routine, lowest impact :-)
#11 of 12 Old 02-27-2014, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

I'd love to:) having a two and four year old always with me makes it hard to do much of anything besides walk, but I may just have to figure out a way.
#12 of 12 Old 02-27-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaustin View Post

@SynEpona-that's great they have skis!! Too funny. Be careful out therme. My 2 year old is over 30 lbs- hope yours isn't straining you too much!
@amyc1688-woohoo! 37 weeks! love to hear your updates and am thinking of you! I googled it this afternoon and some places say ok to walk, but others say stay off feet to reduce strain on pelvic floor. Erg- so little you can do with kids in tow... would love to be swimming or something. Good tip about water-I get about a gallon down, but wake up parched! For some reason water gives me heartburn too-I put lemon in to help, but a little cranberry sounds nice. Thanks for the tips!

DD's about 27lb or so! The combined weight of her + baby weight is finally over the weight of my canoe pack :) which is the heaviest thing I've carried up until now!

One thing several OB's sites have said about fitness/activity, is that you're not overdoing it if you can still sing 'Happy Birthday' as you go -- provided you're in a low risk multiple pregnancy, with no other complications. I've had 2 uncomplicated pregnancies already, and this one is as low risk as it gets, the only 'complication' is that there are 2 babes - both growing slightly ahead of dates.

I do drink lots of my water overnight -- at least a full liter -- camelbak bottle by the bed, and every time I wake to shift, roll-over or go to the bathroom, I have a drink. Much easier to fit it in while I'm not also trying to squeeze a meal into my stomach. (helps with that awful dry-mouth from the pregnancy-stuffy-nose too!)

~SynEpona~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page