Breastfeeding twins challenge - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-13-2014, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok so my girls are a week and 4 days old now! I think I'm having trouble with oversupply/ s fore milk, hindmilk imbalance.... Forceful letdown.

They seem to choke on the milk, esp that comes out my right - not so perfect nipple, they have been biting down to slow the flow of milk. I am quite exhausted getting this all figured out my first time being a mom, twins and breastfeeding. Much of the tips I get for breastfeeding do not deal with the unique feeding of two, I can't just switch breasts, etc.....help!
#2 of 6 Old 03-13-2014, 11:38 AM

Are they gaining poorly or have explosive green poo?  Either of those could be a problem with oversupply.  If the only real problem is the forceful letdown (may or may not mean oversupply), have you tried "laid back nursing" (positioning yourself reclined or even laying down so that you don't have gravity adding to the milk flow)?  You can also take them off the breast when you first let down and catch some of the spray in a burp cloth until it slows enough for them to nurse comfortably.  Also, tandem nursing makes your letdown stronger, so you may want to wait until they're a little bigger and more able to handle the flow before you start tandeming.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#3 of 6 Old 03-13-2014, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

No they are already more than birthweight at 11 days old. Poop has been normal.

I just tried laying back and it worked, although she exhausted herself after 5 min or so of intense eating. I've been avoiding that nipple so it def had lots of milk.

I've tried letting some express out but they still clamp down. Tandem nursing not yet, too hard! :-)

Thanks
#4 of 6 Old 03-14-2014, 10:05 PM

We had this same problem for quite some time! We thought it made the most sense to switch which breast the babies ate from at each feeding but it was contributing to the problem. The solution you always read for oversupply is to block feed, but how do you do that with two babies? For my wife the answer was to assign each baby a breast and only switch once a week (now every 3-5 days). Also by the time we figured it out she was tandem feeding and that can make it worse, but you aren't there yet. One of our twins had green poop, and that went away immediately. I think you can get other ideas if you google "block feeding twins."

Me (37), DW (31), and our three sons: L, M & O eyesroll.gif twins.gif 
#5 of 6 Old 03-15-2014, 10:00 AM

If the babies are gaining ok and don't have the frothy green poop, I would hesitate to try much to reduce your supply this early. Hopefully laid back nursing will give baby enough of a break from the let down. My oversupply also made one of my babies spit up a lot. Now that I'm back at work, my babies get bottles of pumped milk. They have gained a little better on the bottles, so I think it is more balanced, but their weight gain was always good, so I don't think it was too messed up.

heartbeat.gif rainbow1284.gif wife (31) + wife (37) rainbow1284.gif heartbeat.gif & our three sons  bikenew.gifbabyf.gifbabyf.gif
#6 of 6 Old 03-15-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I had oversupply with dd2, I would pump an ounce before feeding her and side lie. I bet it resolves itself by two weeks or so. Hope things are getting better!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page