transverse/transverse at 27 weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-27-2014, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had an ultrasound today (27 weeks) that showed the babies are transverse/transverse-same position as they were at 19 weeks.
I'm starting to freak out about it and am wondering if anyone has successfully repositioned their twins from transverse. I'm not finding good success stories online:( the dr says I have time-but I feel I better start doing something sooner rather than later.
#2 of 10 Old 03-28-2014, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
would homeooathic pulsitilla help? my twins are head down, but both my other kids were transverse until 38+ weeks. ds flipped on his own before birth at 39wk6d, dd needed an external version at 38wk5d, but we had encouraged her to flip head down with pulsitilla and techniques from spinning babies a few times, she just liked to flip back to breech or transverse.

current babies...A flipped to transverse a few weeks ago, but just for a few hours. I am trying my best to maintain postures to encourage them to stay head down, despite the fact that it means avoiding recliner type chairs, no matter how comfy they are!

~SynEpona~
#3 of 10 Old 03-28-2014, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

I'll have to look into that-thanks for the tip! It seems like such a big task to get them both to move. I found a few threads of people trying everything-pool headstands, chiropractic, accupuncture, spinning baby exercises, and they could not budge there's. And they started about 27 weeks. How could you tell baby A moved to transverse? I find it so hard to guess what the heck is going on in there, and if I get them to move, I'm not sure I'll be able to tell.
#4 of 10 Old 03-28-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaustin View Post
 How could you tell baby A moved to transverse? I find it so hard to guess what the heck is going on in there, and if I get them to move, I'm not sure I'll be able to tell.

It was painful when he moved, but b/c of where B was, I could actually see A laying across -- if I hadn't been trying to sleep I would have taken a photo, my belly was the weirdest shape and I could very clearly feel a head, torso & bum. The move from his prior position to transverse actually woke me up. I eventually fell back asleep, and when I woke in the morning he had moved back to a head down (or breech ... I couldn't tell that day) position.

One member of my team of midwives taught me how to figure out positioning w/ my last pregnancy, b/c one of our major goals was to avoid a transverse baby, so now I can find & identify a head vs. a bum - most of the time. It's much more difficult with two, and then trying to figure out which bum belongs to which head :) If your doc or m/w is confident at determining position by external feeling, ask them to show you how. My O/B only checks to make sure one head is down, and then tells me "it doesn't matter, as long as one head is down" when I ask her which baby it is. I'm not certain she's confident in her ability to figure it out -- or she's too rushed to want to take the time to figure it out - she's relying on the U/S, but I know that between an U/S on a Monday and my appt w/ her on a Wednesday both babies dramatically changed position. Luckily, I see the M/W alternating weeks, so I get them to confirm what I'm thinking about which baby is in which position on the days I see them. It changes all the time though, so I'm trying not to worry about it -- the only day that position really matters is their birth day -- and as long as they are still moving a lot, they can move to the right spot :)

~SynEpona~
#5 of 10 Old 03-31-2014, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds like your little guys are much more active than mine:) mine have been in same position for at least two months-I guess that's a big assumption, but exactly the same on ultrasounds. if they were different, at least I'd feel better that they will adapt to other positions. I do think they may have finally shifted-really bad pain in my ribs last friday and had to be on hands and knees for quite some time for it to go away. My axiety about it is we are planning a home birth and the midwife wants to confirm position by 34 weeks to figure out a different plan if baby a not head down. I'm sure if they moved after that, we could still proceed with home birth, but drs and midwife both think they'll be stuck in position after that point. And just the hassle of meeting an ob, scheduling everything, and mostly giving up on the plan has me on edge:) yes, feeling the parts are much harder with twins!! My midwife hasn't been able to either, but as they get bigger, hoping it will be easier.
#6 of 10 Old 04-01-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Sounds like your little guys are much more active than mine:)

I've never had the type of baby that settles into a position and remains there ... I wish I had, it seems like it might be more peaceful for my insides --- if they settled in the right way! DS & DD both moved around a lot, always going back to their transverse positions though. These two also move a lot, despite the fact that everyone said 'they'll have less room, it won't be as much movement' ... yesterday there was a ton of movement and one baby did flip to head up, the other may have flipped overnight as they are both very different today than yesterday morning and I had a hard time sleeping last night due to the dance party or boxing match internally!

With DD, I had an u/s on the Monday I think, to check her position, and then at my 37 wk appt on the Thursday we were going to decide what to do -- I was planning a hospital birth w/ M/W, but their protocol dictates they must consult with an OB for breech presentations. My water broke on the Wednesday and b/c DD was still transverse/breech - kinda angled - at that point, I had to be transferred to an OB in the hospital, but my M/W were still present, the OB did the external version w/ assistance of the M/W operating the U/S, and then I was induced, before she could flip back. That particular OB was willing to attempt a breech delivery if she did flip back, there are not many locally that will do it though.

It might be worthwhile, before you ahve to make a quick decision, to ask either your M/W or friends locally, which OBs might be best to work with in the event of the babies not moving into better positions. It was a bit of a scramble the morning I paged the midwives, as they were trying to figure out which docs were on call at which hospitals so that we could choose the best one. The hospital 5 min from my house only had an OB available who's standard was c-section for all breech presentations, so we went a little further. Unfortunately, since then, all the labour/delivery departments have been closed and merged at one bigger newer hospital, and we'll have less options to find the doc we want to work with on the day of labour. The only way for me to guarantee the OB I'm seeing for pre-natal care is the one who delivers the babies, is to schedule an induction or C-sec, which I'm not willing to consider at this point when there are no complications. My M/W will be at the birth, but officially my primary care provider is the OB. (these are the things we have to deal with when our M/W care is covered by the provincial healthcare system).

~SynEpona~
#7 of 10 Old 04-02-2014, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

At today's midwife appt, she thinks they may now be breach. I guess it's better than not moving at all! At least I know they will shift, and hopefully to the correct position. She did mention trying the homeopathic you suggested in a few weeks. We do have a plan with an ob she likes if things don't go our way, and I am actually going to sign the papers to go ahead with a tubal ligation at the same time as c-section as you need a 30 day in advance consent. It all feels a little weird to think about now, and definitely don't want to jinx ourselves, but these will be our last, and would like to take care of it while already opened up:) My baby b is the boy and somehow my midwife thinks he could come out first if we get him head down. He's bigger, so that's her preference, but I am confused too about why baby a wouldn't have to be the one in position. My midwife would not feel comfortable externally moving twins, so fingers crossed, they will be cooperating soon!
#8 of 10 Old 04-02-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:

At today's midwife appt, she thinks they may now be breach. I guess it's better than not moving at all! At least I know they will shift, and hopefully to the correct position. She did mention trying the homeopathic you suggested in a few weeks. We do have a plan with an ob she likes if things don't go our way, and I am actually going to sign the papers to go ahead with a tubal ligation at the same time as c-section as you need a 30 day in advance consent. It all feels a little weird to think about now, and definitely don't want to jinx ourselves, but these will be our last, and would like to take care of it while already opened up:) My baby b is the boy and somehow my midwife thinks he could come out first if we get him head down. He's bigger, so that's her preference, but I am confused too about why baby a wouldn't have to be the one in position. My midwife would not feel comfortable externally moving twins, so fingers crossed, they will be cooperating soon!

My OB won't even tell me which head is down, just says "good, there's a head down", if I ask if it's the baby on my left (B) or right (A), she says "it doesn't matter, as long as it comes out first. :/ The midwifes are much more interesting to chat with about it! They were labelled at 20ish weeks based on who was head down that day, which has nothing to do with which baby is coming out first ... so pre-natal A might be born 2nd and then called 'B' in the hospital. Just to keep things interesting :) Our U/S tech is maintaining A as A, and B as B, no matter which one appears to be more likely to be in a first-to-birth position, for consistency in the reports and such, but I have talked to some other mamas locally who's twins were switched around a few times, based on different techs and such, and the one that appeared most likely to be in the first birth position on the day of the U/S was called 'A', even if that twin had been 'B' at a prior U/S.

~SynEpona~
#9 of 10 Old 04-02-2014, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

That must be really hard trying to keep up with who's who! I guess it's easier for us since there's one of each:) our ultrasound people also said this one is always A, this one always B, and that A is the closest one to the cervix which I thought wouldn't change? Confusing!!
#10 of 10 Old 04-03-2014, 09:02 AM

At today's OB appt, the doc seemed really surprised when I told her that B had flipped since the last U/S. She told me they wont' move, there's not enough room, and I'm not certain she believed me when I told her both of my other kids had moved and change position many times even close to the end. She said that twins run out of room for big movements by now, and singles 'soon', but then didn't know how to deal with the info that the others had still been very active and flippy right till birth pretty much.

She also didn't want to believe that I can tell a head from a bum usually, and can tell when they've moved significantly, she's basing all her positioning knowledge on the U/S .. but the last one was more than 2 weeks ago, they've moved quite a bit since then!

eaustin likes this.

~SynEpona~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page