Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Parenting Multiples (http://www.mothering.com/forum/158-parenting-multiples/)
-   -   double stroller recommendations (http://www.mothering.com/forum/158-parenting-multiples/1399693-double-stroller-recommendations.html)

shanniesue2 03-30-2014 10:51 AM

Okay, here's what we want:

*side by side

*good for newborn-toddler (even very small newborns)

*handles well over a variety of terrain (we have a park with a gravel walking trail a block from our house, plus our sidewalks are not the greatest... so this one is important)

*fits through doorways

*won't break the bank.  The most we'd like to spend is $300, but we are okay with buying used... so that opens up some possibilities

The options are endless and are getting confusing.  So what strollers do you love/recommend that fit these needs?

synepona 03-30-2014 12:51 PM

Does it also need to fit in your trunk? Or hold carseats?

I'm not sure what to recommend, but I've been reading stroller reviews for months, and still can't decide for myself! I did find, after a lot of search variations, some sites that actually review strollers from the perspective of twins, which is a totally different one than buying a double for one toddler + one newborn.

I've also come to the conclusion that there is no *one* stroller solution! For our son, who is now 7, we had 3 strollers, we used 2 of them frequently, and also he was in a sling or other carrier frequently. DD who is now 2.5, we used the same 2 mostly, but the 3rd got a little more use, and she was also a sling-baby quite often. I expect we'll end up with 2 or 3 double stroller options before we get to the stage of being done with strollers for good!

Now, for the twins, we have a double Chariot (they can be found used in your price range - around 5-8yr old models, but need 80$ infant slings x 2 to be used from birth, and would be a tight fit through doors, I won't be taking ours in the car, or in stores). We're trying to find an inline stroller that can hold either both babies - in carseats or in stroller seats, or hold one baby + one toddler -- as I would prefer to have a lighter weight newbie in a carrier and DD + other baby in the stroller when I need three of them contained!

At 31 weeks now, I'm considering just getting a Joovy TwinRoo, and re-evaluating after the babies have been born -- it's a low cost solution that will get us through the early days - and if we're out as a family, I do still have the single stroller collection. The downfall, is that it will not give us any flexibility to put DD in it, as there are no seats.

rinap 03-30-2014 01:23 PM

We got a Maclaren twin techno. It didn't work for newborn (we used a hand-me-down single pram for the two of them to start), but they started using it at 2 1/2 months. It's side-by-side and folds up great for travel. We love it (got it from Craigslist for $150). We just had to retire it and replaced it with the same thing again. It's fine for gravel, though for real off-roading (up and down the mountainside) we once got to use a Mountain Buggy, which was awesome but harder to travel with.

shanniesue2 03-30-2014 06:45 PM

okay, should clarify... I didn't mean a baby and a toddler... I have newborn twins, and I'd like the stroller to fit newborns as well as older babies and toddler.

I don't care about it being adaptable for car seats. And yes, fitting in the trunk is a feature we need, but we have a mini van with a large trunk/cargo area.

maos211 03-30-2014 07:51 PM

I have macclaren twin triumph. Reclines flat so ok for newborns I think. Fits through standard doorways and we paid $280.

synepona 03-31-2014 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanniesue2 View Post

okay, should clarify... I didn't mean a baby and a toddler... I have newborn twins, and I'd like the stroller to fit newborns as well as older babies and toddler.

I don't care about it being adaptable for car seats. And yes, fitting in the trunk is a feature we need, but we have a mini van with a large trunk/cargo area.

I think you'd probably really like the Baby Jogger City Mini. The 'GT' is the more off-road model. I'm not 100% sure on how flat they recline though. They're 700$ish new around here, but are often available used.

In our area it's Twin Sale season -- the big local moms-of-twins clubs all have spring sales, and that can be a good place to see several used double strollers all at once. Ours have member and guests of members shopping an hour before the sale really opens - so if you find a sale, try and find a connection to get you in early too! :)