Breastfeeding twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-29-2014, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok we are 8 weeks in, I am EBF my girls... Everything is great, they are gaining very well , about a half a pound a week.

However I think I have oversupply problems and my left breast god really swollen this week, I pumped it completely and it swelled up overnight.

All of the online tips for remedies don't take into account two babies! Any help?
#2 of 8 Old 04-29-2014, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What signs are you seeing other than the swelling?  That sounds like a plugged duct or something, which could possibly be related to oversupply, but not necessarily a symptom.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#3 of 8 Old 04-29-2014, 07:51 PM

I got plugged duct and mastitis right at 6 weeks and again at 8 weeks. No warning just boom. Also, the more you pump out the more it's going to make so if you drain it completely it's going to think it needs to match that again. Try to just take the edge off or it will get worse swelling. Look up tips for plugged ducts/mastitis. Good luck.

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#4 of 8 Old 05-01-2014, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

The swelling hasn't returned at all. But I def feel like they don't get much hind milk. The time I pumped I saved in fridge even though I knew they wouldn't take bottle, but it separated into three distinct layers, one extremely clear/watery, then milk, then really thick. Weird... But I guess it's not a problem if they seem happy. I pumped about 8 ounces from that breast after one baby nursed fully. Isn't that a crazy amount?
#5 of 8 Old 05-02-2014, 05:53 AM

Milk seperates like that. Its totally normal.
Are your babies having green frothy poos or other issues related to hindmilk imbalance?
I only have 1 baby but had oversupply in the beginning. She would fill up within ten minutes on 1 side. I was worried too, but she never had any issues.
My ddc friend with twins also had oversupply. She would assign 1 breast per twin each day and the next day swap. So twin A would have left breast only on Monday and twin B right only, then on Tuesday twin A would get right and twin B left.
#6 of 8 Old 05-02-2014, 06:35 AM

I had oversupply issues with my twins. I would do one on each side for one feeding, then switch sides for the next. That may have helped, but I also think time helped too, as my body found an equilibrium. (I pumped similar amounts to what you are saying. If you are concerned with oversupply, seriously limit pumping (limit it to what your kids are drinking that day). Because more pumping tells your body that it needs to make more milk. (this doesn't work for everyone, but does for those of us who are heavy producers)

#7 of 8 Old 05-02-2014, 09:18 AM

I did the one twin per breast a day and switched every day. Changing them every feeding was too difficult and often I didn't tandem so I'd lose track. Glad the swelling has gone down and you didn't get sick!

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#8 of 8 Old 06-09-2014, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Hi there everyone again. Wow it's been a crazy few months. My girls are doing great and I'm ..hanging in there lol. So I am EBF with no bottles, on demand...and I'm starting to get doubts and I need encouragement. They have gained about 6 lbs since birth, at a week over 3 months. They eat, poop and pee a lot and are beginning to get more active and playful... We are now in the middle of cluster days and growth spurt... My body will be able to keep up right? Supply is king?.. I drink tons of water but this week my appetite was low due to slight sickness and I worry too much lol. I am just feeling crazy bc I never gave them bottles and they will not take expressed milk in bottle, never mind if they needed supplement! Scared that I put myself in this position. They have grown so much but still small for 14 weeks at more than 11.5 lbs. they are freaking adorable btw.

Anyway , kind words appreciated, I'm working my butt off over here

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page