ebf twins and going outside the house - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-23-2014, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hello... what are some tips for traveling with twins who are exclusively breastfed, no bottles. i dont need to do too much with them, its hard but id like to go out more, summertime outdoor concerts, or just to a cafe with my husband... but my girls are on a pretty good eating schedule and i like to feed at same time... if we go out and they both get hungry at once its a disaster, unless i have my pillow and can sit in the car... but i am not going to bring my giant pillow to a festival lol. ... i guess i could just make sure i feed one before they are hungry and then get the next quickly.. but its exhausting and it feels like im just feeding the whole time i am out. '

i havent gone food shopping or anywhere, my poor husband works all day and then does all the errands bc its such a hassle...and it feels like we dont spend time with him because babies and i go to bed by 8 or 9 and he gets home at 6 ish IF he's not running around. I'd like to take the girls out and do things together but...??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-23-2014, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Don't know how old your twins are, but as they get a little bigger, tandem BF out and about gets a lot easier.  We used a car and the pillow as our most reliable method, but I did see some brave souls who somehow pulled off twin tandem freestyle.  You can get a little creative with quiet spaces - I think we laid down on a carpeted stage once at a conference, one twin on each side of me, but they must have been a little older. 

If you practice at home you can get the hang of feeding without a pillow.  Not easy, or the go-to, but great in a pinch.

Privacy is the second issue.  There's no discretion with tandem BF.  Maybe you have better shirts than mine, but you're pretty out there.  Which I was OK with in a quiet context, but you have to decide how you feel about it.

Feeding one at a time is an option, but you're right, it's a time consuming one. 

These things will all get easier.  But get creative, practice at home sitting up without a pillow, and you'll have more options!

See some good pics for ideas:

http://naturallyparentingtwins.net/wp/?page_id=11

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#3 of 8 Old 05-23-2014, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)

I'm not sure how big they are, but could you try tandem babywearing and nursing? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW3VLsr1xyg That gives an example of how to. If they're very young, you may be able to wear both in a sling or in a single wrap (that person used two separate wraps- you can find a lot of tandem babywearing options and figure out what works for you).

#4 of 8 Old 05-23-2014, 02:54 PM

I haven't had my twins yet, but it seems like my other kids were pretty distracted from eating when we went out. The stimulus around them kept them happy a lot longer than when at home. Maybe you could try a short outing right after feeding and see how it goes? I'm imagining tandem will be very difficult when out:(
#5 of 8 Old 05-30-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaustin View Post
I haven't had my twins yet, but it seems like my other kids were pretty distracted from eating when we went out. The stimulus around them kept them happy a lot longer than when at home. Maybe you could try a short outing right after feeding and see how it goes? I'm imagining tandem will be very difficult when out
Mine fed every 2 hours on the nose, so I would just limit trips to short ones, in my town. Is that an option?
#6 of 8 Old 06-21-2014, 01:13 AM

I nurse my twins tandem without a pillow when we are out. It's totally not discreet! I hold each babe in one arm, put my knees up to help hold them in place when I need a hand to hold a breast. Or I can sit cross legged and do a sort of hunched double football hold. With a bit of practice, you can figure it out!

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
#7 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 03:39 PM

Oh man, we went through this. It's so hard. We actually wound up taking bottles with us when we went out because I couldn't tandem breastfeed without it being a huge production (taking my whole top off, setting up an elaborate pillow system, etc) and I couldn't stand to be at home for long stretches. So they had a little bit of formula and it was fine. In fact, I took them out alone sometimes. When they got hungry, I'd sit and breastfeed one with the other in the car seat on a bench next to me and holding the bottle. Insane, haha! But it worked! Better than staying home all day.
#8 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

yaaah update: i dont go out much lol. they still eat every 2 hours during the day anyway at 4.5 months so its not like i can do anything. its ok i am still sane... and loving this time with them. but i hve gotten good at nursing without a pillow. vneck tanktops and shirts have a whole new meaning to me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page