Mothering Forum banner

footling breech/breech -time to go with section?

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  eaustin 
#1 ·
Hi all-I am 37 weeks now and babies are in bad positions for my planned home birth. I've been trying everything to turn them for the past month, but they just won't budge. I was planning on proceeding with home birth with frank breech presentation, but with the new twist of footling, I feel like it is just getting too complicated/ risky to try. I'm upset about it, but really want to have some plan in place. Any of you have homebirths with these positions? This will be my 4th birth, but I've previously had very uncomplicated positions and all singletons.

#2 ·
I had a footling breech homebirth. :) It was the most amazing experience of my life. What does your mw say?

#4 ·
I had my boys home in march, twin b turned footling breech and had not one problem! The thing with twins is once the first one is out, there is a very good chance that twin b will turn into a different position than he/she is in to begin with, so there is a little not if false security with 'both babies are head down so THATS what makes it safe'. If your mw is comfortable and experienced with hands off breech delivery then it can be just as safe for you and baby. I agree w blueash (do you happen to actually love in blue ash?!) , though, it depends on the level of experience your MW has. I had a lovely, worry free birth bc my MW was all kinds of experienced!

#5 ·
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear-presenting baby ( baby a) is footling, and baby b is also breech. Im not very worried about baby b's position, but footling for first one does concern me. I was planning on 4 midwives with all fairly good experience with breech, but not twin +double breech. I'm getting a little irritated with the midwives because they won't come out and refuse to do it or give me much advice. I don't want to feel like I'm giving up easily, but also don't want to be reckless. Would love to hear more about your experiences:)

#6 ·
It was hard enough getting midwives to agree to try a homebirth with my 2 head down babies that's amazing you have some willing for breech births. While I did not get my homebirth, in my opinion I would not be comfortable doing a homebirth with footling breech. Do you have a hospital that will let you labor there and attempt a footling breech birth or will they automatically attempt a csection? Hoping your baby flips asap.

Also, it's totally your choice but if you wanted opinions that was mine. I'm sure you will have a wonderful birth whatever you choose!

#7 ·
Thank you! Yes, I'd love opinions and experiences! People tell me that I should know best, but I'm having a very hard time making an educated and safe decision when my midwives just keep acting like it's a non-issue. I feel like they are thinking that only my fear is getting in the way. I am not generally trusting of the medical/ hospital way of birth, and epidurals and c-sections are very scary to me, but it may be safest.

#9 ·
I am sorry that your midwives are not addressing your concerns with respect. :( That is frustrating. How have you brought it up with them? Have you asked them directly about their experience with footling breech? How many have they delivered? How did those deliveries go?

#10 ·
I'm really sorry you're having to go through this. My midwives did that at the end, not really giving me a direct answer on how far they'd take me as a client. Just kind of leaving some stuff up to me. It's more than frustrating when all you want are healthy babies and a happy birth experience.

#11 ·
Thank you again for your support and advice! I am in such a tricky situation with the midwives. I am under the care of one midwife who happens to be out of the country at the moment, and she has 3 midwives that will be assisting, so I'm not sure if the assisting midwives just don't want to step on toes or what. My midwife has experienced a footling breech for a second twin, but not sure how many others she has helped. The assisting midwife with the most breech experience seemed to be supportive of changing to c-section when she found out baby a was footling, but after speaking with one of the others assisting, I think she may have been just acting that way because I was feeling uneasy about it. Sorry my story has gotten so complicated to explain! The bottom line is, I don't feel like I have some inner-spiritual guidance telling me what's best, and wish they were more forthright with advice:) I think it is such an exciting birth to do at home, they don't want to miss the opportunity to be a part of it.I'm not too far from the hospital if things should go awry, but it would be at least a 30 min drive.

#12 ·
Oh dear.

A mother named Dreah Louis has a blog she started after she birthed footling breach twins at home. Her midwives didn't arrive in time for the delivery and tragically one twin died. Footling breaches are considered too high risk (of severe birth injury including death, from head entrapment but especially cord prolapse) for vaginal birth, let alone home birth, by any professional recommendation. That your midwives are not explaining this to you is very scary. Do they have financial motivation to keep you as a client?

#13 ·
I can't recall the MANA stats for this off the top of my head, but there are some scary mortality rates for breaches at home in the US. And the 30 minute drive is a long trip if things go south.

But for me, the reddest flag is that you say this would be an exciting birth for your midwives to do. Your family is not a resume building exercise for your midwives.

#14 ·
Thank you, ladies-although not nice to hear, this is the kinda stuff I need to know!! yes, it's hard to distinguish between their support and if its an exciting case to take on. Another ultrasound tomorrow-maybe baby a will be in a better position:/

#17 ·
Great job getting them to term. I hope you can be at peace with the c-section and maybe look into something called natural cesarean or an assisted cesarean. Not it does it say it's for a singleton perhaps something similar can be arranged for you. Good luck on these last few days of pregnancy and take care.

#18 ·
Thank you so much again:)The hospital we'll be at does family friendly c-sections with skin to skin contact right after and baby can stay with you in recovery room, and my midwife will be able to come too. It is still scaring me, but getting excited to finally meet these little ones, even though not the way i imagined:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.