3 placentas.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-02-2004, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
when i delivered the girls..the drs said casually "hmm..you had 3 placentas, one was smaller" and left it at that..of course..being wrapped up in my girls..i didnt give it a thought..but i did recently and does that mean i had originally been pregnant with triplets and lost one early on?? i had my first u/s at 11 weeks. no bleeding or anything...

anyone know??? i have been wondering about it alot and i am no longer in hawaii to call my dr (i movegd back to texas) and anyways..
#2 of 4 Old 06-04-2004, 09:44 PM

That's very interesting. Have you found anything on other internet searches, or maybe triplet boards?

It sure sounds plausible, but I haven't heard whether or not the placenta gets absorbed same as the baby...
#3 of 4 Old 06-08-2004, 04:17 PM

Yeah, mama, I'm sorry, but you probably were. It was probably an "empty" sac that finally stopped growing (aka "blighted ovum"). Sometimes the sac grows but a baby never develops. Whether or not it is "reabsorbed" or not is a matter of chance and how far along it grows. You wouldn't have bled because nothing detached.

Some docs can be really weird about not telling mamas about losses...it's possible that they saw it on the u/s and never mentioned it. As the uterus got more crowded, it would no longer have been easily visible; in fact I suppose at 11 weeks it might have been behind one of the babies so they wouldn't have seen it if they weren't looking for it. If you got a copy of your records (or asked a trusted HCP to go over them with you), you can find out. They probably recorded some estimate of the number of weeks the placenta was, but remember that the placenta probably grew for many more weeks than the fetus, if the fetus ever grew at all.

(((HUGS))),

Cate
#4 of 4 Old 06-08-2004, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was recently watching a special about unusual twin pregnancies. The researcher/HCP they were following around said that she estimates that as many as 1 in 8 pregnancies begins as a multiple, but one of the twins is lost along the way in all but about ten percent of cases w/out the mother even knowing, usually because something went wrong very, very early on.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page