Book recommendations for parenting twins naturally - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-05-2004, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone recommend some good books for twin parents. My friend is pg with twins and having a shower today and I would like to add a good book to her gift basket. I would love your ideas
TIA
#2 of 13 Old 06-05-2004, 04:16 PM

I've read all I can get my hands on so far (I'm almost 26 weeks), and my favorite is dr. Barbara Luke's book "What to Expect when you're expecting twins, triplets and more". But I'm interested to see if other moms found a book more specifically geared to natural stuff. I like Dr. William Sears' books with my last pregnancy, but I don't know that he has anything specifically for multiples...

Oh, and that book by Karen Gromada, "Mothering Multiples" is super, but it was mostly about breastfeeding. It would be a good choice too, though!
#3 of 13 Old 06-06-2004, 01:00 PM

Mothering Multiples would be the perfect book to get her. It does mostly talk about bf'ing but also touches on other aspects of raising twins. It may be a hard book to find on book store shelves though...you might have to order it directly from LLL's website. The Attachment Parenting book by Sears has a little blurb in it about twins.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#4 of 13 Old 06-06-2004, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both so much for the ideas Her shower was yesterday, and I ended up adding some cloth nursing pads to her gift basket. None of the local bookstores had books on parenting multiples I will probably just order Mothering Multiples and give it to her when the babies are born.

Thanks again for the recommendations
#5 of 13 Old 06-24-2004, 02:06 AM

I know I'm too late for the shower, but if she doesn't already have the book "Mothering Multiples", she really should have it BEFORE the babies are born (because after they're born she won't have time to read it. I read it while on bed rest in the hospital a few weeks before my girls were born). It's the ultimate guide on nursing twins and taking care of them. Also, Barbara Luke's book is really, really good. It was the only book I could read early on in my twin pregnancy that didn't scare the wits out of me. It's good stuff. And it helped me figure out what kind of material things I needed for my twins. I'd give any woman pregnant with multiples both of these books--shower or not!
#6 of 13 Old 06-30-2004, 03:47 PM

Mothering Multiples saved our lives! So much more than just a breastfeeding book (though a great one at that). Great advice all around.

No Cry Sleep Solution (Pantley) couldn't hurt either!!
#7 of 13 Old 06-30-2004, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle
Mothering Multiples saved our lives! So much more than just a breastfeeding book (though a great one at that). Great advice all around.

No Cry Sleep Solution (Pantley) couldn't hurt either!!
Ditto on Mothering Multiples (I've already recommended it, but I can't recomment it enough). IMO all health care providers/midwives should give all women pregnant with multiples that book.

I read the No Cry Sleep Solution when my girls were wee ones (in the fog of sleep deprivation) and couldn't understand how it would work with two. I've talked to a few other twin mommies who said the same thing. Did you have luck with it with your twins?

Gotta go....baby crying...
#8 of 13 Old 06-30-2004, 09:35 PM

Yeah, it was a lifesaver!
#9 of 13 Old 06-30-2004, 09:42 PM

Hmmm....it seemed really complicated when I read it. But then again, life was really complicated with two colicky babies who never slept. Maybe I'll have to check it out again. My girls are allergic to sleep
#10 of 13 Old 06-30-2004, 09:46 PM

For us, it was just some ideas/techniques to help soothe to sleep in ways other than the breast, and also the concept of coming up with a (flexible) longer-range plan. I thought it adapted pretty well to twins, but definitely DID require the extra, hands-on assistance of my DH for a short time, for example, to transfer the woozy babe to bed, while the other more awake one kept nursing with me in the rocking chair until s/he started getting drowsy too.
#11 of 13 Old 07-02-2004, 04:09 PM

The only book I've ever gotten on twins is Double Duty which while not explicitly AP, is very much AP in principle and practice. It's worth at least a suggestion.

For breastfeeding I LOVED the book Bestfeeding.
#12 of 13 Old 07-03-2004, 05:03 PM

I missed the timing on this one, too, but I just wanted to chime in with Elizabeth Noble's "Having Twins." It is WAY into natural birth and parenting for twins, often questioning bedrest in twins & a lot of other things.
#13 of 13 Old 07-04-2004, 01:42 AM

Ditto all the above recs, plus Karen Kerkoff-Gromada (author of Mothering Multiples) also has a book called Keys to Parenting Multiples which I own but haven't read.

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page