So tired - please tell me it gets better - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-12-2004, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Things seemed to be better for a while - but the girls got a fever/virus last week and haven't been eating or sleeping well since then. They aren't sick now but I think they are teething. Maribeth hardly sleeps at night at all and Megan goes down and sleeps a good long stretch and then is UP around the time Maribeth goes to sleep in the early morning. I'm so tired.

I've been fighting clogged ducts and mastitis for weeks now. Back on antibiotics AGAIN cause natural stuff wasn't working. Every time I have to do antibiotics I end up with thrush. I had my stronger nurser - Megan nursing the bad side and then was spitting up horrid brown red streaked stuff yesterday after nursing. But I do think she cleared out some of the worst of the plug from that side. I've taken to pumping that side and dumping for now and bottle feeding Megan out of my freezer stash. I'm seriously considering weaning Megan so I only have to nurse one - I never had all these problems nursing only one. Megan will take bottes - Maribeth won't.

My dh is away for work now during the week and is only home Friday night to Sunday morning. My older 3 are fighting a lot. My 2 year old is hitting and biting everyone. She even bit the babies yesterday.

single mama to 5 (12.5, 11, 10, and 8 year old twins)

#2 of 7 Old 08-12-2004, 04:49 PM

Wow. That sounds so hard. I send you supportive vibes.

I'm in BC, too. Are you close to the North Shore? There is a physio named Gunnel Gavin who does mastitis prevention work - she's very effective. Uses ultrasound, heat and massage.

Have you solicited any help from your public health department? Might be able to link you up with some practical help during the week.

God bless you, and may you get a chunk of sleep really soon!
#3 of 7 Old 08-13-2004, 02:13 PM

s to you, mama.

It WILL get better. One thing I've noticed (my girls are almost 11 months old now) is that when we're going through a rough patch (colds, teething, serious nursing problems the first 3 months of their lives) is that when it's bad, it's really bad. Even if it only lasts a few days or a week, it seems like it will never end. Mastitis is awful...I feel for you. I only had it once, but I had it along with a nasty case of hives.

Personally, I would advise you not to wean one of your dds yet. You're going through a difficult period and you might regret it later. It will get better. Hang in there.
#4 of 7 Old 08-13-2004, 02:16 PM

wow, i am so sorry. i had some rough times with my two that i thought were bad and that was without other little ones besides! you are a supermom in my book. do you have someone who can help you with the older ones? maybe come over in the afternoon and play with them? i remember my brothers used to be super naughty when my mom had to pay extra attention to the baby.

i have learned with my kiddos that they just go through these phases where things are awful... they get off schedule, out of synch, super crabby... for all sorts of reasons, and it can be next to impossible to function when there's ALWAYS a baby awake and needing mama... but don't worry, it will get better. right around six months was a tough time for us too. i hope things calm down for you soon. let us know how it goes, k?
#5 of 7 Old 08-13-2004, 02:44 PM

Ouch Hugs to you, it sounds bad. I second mamadawg's advice not to wean Megan while things are like this. I think you may end up regretting it. And getting some practical help sounds like a necessity - can you hire someone? anything available from public health? family? friends? postpartum doula?

Sending you lots of positive vibes...
#6 of 7 Old 08-20-2004, 12:41 PM

Cheryl, how's it going? I've been thinking of you and hoping you're able to get some help at home so you can rest enough to beat the breast infections. So tough...

Sending hugs...
#7 of 7 Old 08-21-2004, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for asking. I had to go on antibiotics for the mastitis but my dh also took a day off for me to just rest. Which helped but after the antibiotics now we're battling thrush again - though the mastitis is finally better.

I'm still not getting a ton of sleep - Maribeth has been up a lot at night fussy and even Megan more than usually. Maribeth nurses a lot at night but kicks me hard the whole time - so I can't sleep through that. She can't nurse without kicking me now. Megan keeps latching on and off and chewing her hand. I'm thinking maybe they are starting teething?

I didn't wean Megan - but I did pump and bottlefeed her some for a couple of days and also had to supplement her out of frozen EBM while my supply came back up - but she's back to nursing well again.

single mama to 5 (12.5, 11, 10, and 8 year old twins)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page