Would inducing have prevented my c section? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 09-23-2004, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay I guess I'm still a bit recentful about my emergency c section. I know the important thing is that my girls are here happy and healthy...but seeing my scar everyday is a consent reminder of the birth I tried so hard all pregnancy to avoid!!!

I kept myself healthy to avoid bedrest and preg problems that more commonly arise with twins. I ate all the protein I could. Drank tons of water. Avoided all the bad stuff. etc etc etc.

At 36-37 I had experienced a perfect pregnancy!! Doc knew my plans of a natural birth and was on board with me. She said we can induce now if I change my mind. I said nope I'm hanging in there. Both babes were head down and ready to go. Then at my 38wk1d doc visit baby A (Josie) flipped breech and also had very low heartrate. They told me we will have to take them today. Then within minutes it became we are taking them now and we have to knock you out. 10 minutes later they were born.

So my question is should I of induced? I then would of been able to experience their birth and BE AWAKE FOR IT! It would of been vaginal and not c sec. Josie was in NICU due to big swallow from c sec not to mention horrible recovery for me. And my dh and family could of been there like I wanted.

I wanted so badly to pull them out myself into this world and have their first minutes of life be snuggling on me. Instead I was one of the last to see them/hold them by the time I awoke!!!

Yes I suppose it seems I'm living in the past...get over it and on with your life. And I am. But was I misinfromed? I always thought that induction was a bad thing. Maybe in my case and other twinmamas to be, induction is a good thing to avoid an even harsher birth. Is that true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 09-23-2004, 05:18 PM

Please don't feel bad about your choice not to have an induction. How could you have predicted what would happen? So much can happen with twins, it is hard to predict how your body will act. Inductions don't always work either.

When I was 39 weeks, I spent the entire (exhausting, uncomfortable) weekend in the hospital trying to be induced and nothing happened. So I went home for a week and nothing happened. I went back for another induction and one of the little stinkers was no longer head down. I decided to get a c-section rather than risk a vaginal and a c-section in one day. I always wonder, what if I had tried induction again? Would it have failed again? Would it have worked, how long would it have taken, would I have been too tired from the induction for a vaginal birth, what if I needed a c-section on top of all that? I also had complications afterward (hematoma). I spent time in chat rooms, talking to other women about it. Its hard not to wonder about it. but as time goes by, I spend less and less time thinking about it. My boys are 15 months now and I am ok about the whole thing now.

Do you feel any better after reading this long rambling?
#3 of 19 Old 09-23-2004, 08:30 PM

Who's to say the induction would have worked at 36 weeks anyways without leading to a c/s? Grieve that things didn't work out as you had planned out in your mind, but who can actually predict what will happen in their labor? Isn't that the mystery of labor? It makes labor special. It's so different for anyone.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#4 of 19 Old 09-24-2004, 02:54 PM

Most moms I know that have been induced ended up with problems & then had to recover from induction + c/s so I think you made the best decision for your family you could have.
#5 of 19 Old 09-25-2004, 06:31 AM

I feel for you.

Get some Weleda WOUND CARE for your scar and weep when you can.

This WILL pass but for now, keep writing and feeling all that is going on inside.

Peace and Love to you mama,
#6 of 19 Old 09-25-2004, 05:34 PM

You can't possibly know what might have been, had you taken a different course. And second guessing is really a luxury we have in hindsight. Thirty six weeks might have still meant time in the NICU, with all that entails. If it were me, I'd rather have my babies in longer gestation than avoid a c-section (I had both; 33 weekers and an emergency c-section, so I understand the loss of the delivery experience!)
hope you and your babies are doing well.
congratulations to all of you!
#7 of 19 Old 09-25-2004, 05:43 PM

Did you move around and change positions to see if the heartrate would go back up? Or did they freak out and immediately declare distress?
#8 of 19 Old 09-25-2004, 05:54 PM

I dont have twins. Never had a premie. No complications to speak of. BUT....i totally understand your pain and hurt and anger at looseing the birth you wanted and had planned on. My son was born 10 months ago and it still haunts me. Me any my Dr were in total agreeance with my birth plan. Then when i went into labor he wasn't at the hospital and the on call Dr refused to call him as did the nurses. They also threatened to call the law and child services on me if i left to either go home or to another hospital. The on call Dr and I had already argued a couple times in the past over things and this was just his way to get back at me. Unfortunately i thought they COULD call someone on me and make me loose my kids if i left....it wasn't until afterwards that i found out i could have walked out and there was nothing they could have done.
#9 of 19 Old 09-28-2004, 12:52 AM

I totally understand that feeling of loss when you don't have the birth you worked towards. Don't you just crave that feeling of closure that labor seems like it would bring, moving from the stage of pregnancy into motherhood? And I also wanted to be active in the birth, feel as if I birthed the babies, not be passive having them pulled out of me. My boys were born c-section at 39 weeks because baby B was breech and most likely too big for vaginal delivery in breech position and really we could not wait any longer for labor to begin because I was beginning to show signs of pre-eclampsia. My boys were getting big and my body was suffering. I think, however, if my body could have handled it, my boys would have been happy to continue gestating a little bit longer. As it was, Baby B did not have a good sucking reflex and really struggled with breastfeeding. If you had induced labor, your babies would have been born even earlier. That might not have been any better that what you experienced. Even just a couple more weeks in the womb may have really helped their health. There is no way of knowing.
#10 of 19 Old 09-28-2004, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the support! I feel better just reading your comments and stories.

Did you move around and change positions to see if the heartrate would go back up? Or did they freak out and immediately declare distress?

This is something that bothers me much. They did freak out immediately! : I was laying on side/back so they could monitor me when they found out Josie low hr. When they started to freak I said let me turn to other side. Still low hr. By that time they were really freakin and tons of people around my bed and running me to other room. It felt so surreal...like I was so out of control.

Anyway - I feel better after reading your posts. I feel for all you mamas that didn't get the birth you wanted either. But I suppose that is just one more obstacle us mamas have endured that makes us the strong people that we are.
#11 of 19 Old 09-30-2004, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ladywulf -

I have been thinking about your experience with them threatening to call law and child services on you and not calling your doc or letting you leave. How horrible!! What's wrong with people like that!! That was just a violation of your rights by not calling your doc as far as I'm concerned. :
#12 of 19 Old 10-01-2004, 04:59 AM

i thought induction often was what led up to sections.
they did the exact same thing with me. at about 40 weeks they all started freaking out about how i wouldnt induce for thier convenience trying to convince me that the longer i left baby in there after the magical infalible =P 40 week marker i was endangering her irresponsibly. i said 'feh!'
i fought them off for nearly 2 weeks. submitted to numerous non stress tests where they starved me from 11 am to 11pm. i seriously spent like a week there everyday. they made me go into a sonogram thing where they give points for silly things and said i got a score of 3 and that was dangerous. i was like pffft she doesnt have to breathe yet! this is rediculous. she was sleeping, they didnt feed me. (after i demanded food she woke up and started something that felt like breakdancing) they tried to use that to bully me into a cesarian and i had an all out fight with them. they tried to be sneaky, tried to get my boyfriend to force me to. they were soooooo mad at him when he said 'its her body and we cant force her to do anything.' <3
then the day before i would have hit 42 weeks my doctor demanded i submit to a vaginal exam and i stupidly let him and without as much as a word he broke my waters(owww!!!)
i should have just went home and tried to start up labour on my own but they told me i must get into a hospital asap. peh.
the moment i walked in they wanted to start up the pit and epidural. i said 'nevar!' and they got all pissed with me. i fought them valiantly for a long 27 hours they were playing the dead baby card, bullying, anything they could think of to try and make me do what they wanted. i was ill prepared to fight them and ended up with pit at 23 hours ack. they kept with thier doom talk, came in every hour en masse telling me i was going to fail, that i had no chance and should just get the cesarian. i fought for 27 hours and finally gave up and started to cry and let them surgically rape me. i have so much anger for them.
sometimes i wonder even now, what if i had just got the epidural and pitocin and just did it thier way? would i have had a vaginal birth? what if what if what if? what if despite my 9 month morning sickness i had got up and actually did all my excersizes. what if i had taken the extra hour to drive to redlands to the midwifes and the birthing center? what if i had just left that ob? what if i had followed my instincts and demanded a homebirth? what if? there are millions of things i can think of to second guess myself.
one year later im serving as birth coach for my best friend(due nov '04), after my section i tried to learn everything i possibly could about birth so she wants me to help fight her doctors because she says she refuses to have a section. im facing alot of my emotions about the section, its so painful. i dont know what ill do if she ends up with a section despite it all. i really wish there was a way i could hold my doctor accountable for the pain and suffering this whole thing has put me through.
i dont know what to say besides, i feel your pain. we can work through it.
i cant even think about it without getting myself into a rage or crying.

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#13 of 19 Old 10-08-2004, 10:51 PM

I'm really sorry things didn't go well for you. :-( I hope your wonderful children remind you of joy, rather than regret.

You know, I had exactly the birth I wanted - no drugs, vaginal delivery, no episiotomy, a great midwife. And after being in labor all day and pushing for three hours and a severe tear, when she was finally born I was physically exhausted. My brain had shut off. I was totally emotionally dead. I had strained my arms so bad pushing that I couldn't pick her up, couldn't hold her. I asked for her to be kept in the nursery because I was so tired and in so much pain I couldn't even cry. They kept bringing her in because she wanted me, and I couldn't nurse and my arms hurt so bad I couldn't shift her once she was in my arms, and I didn't want her, I just wanted to sleep. My husband had gone home, and I was all alone, and it was awful. The tear took a long time to heal, and nursing was excruciating. I don't think I really felt happy about the baby or emotionally connected with her until about two weeks later.

I'm a deliriously happy mom of a 16 mo now. I still feel sad about her birth, and those days when I wasn't there to be a mom - so whenever I think about it, I give her a good sloppy kiss and a big hug. Even when you get what you want, it doesn't always make it good - "what-if" is not a good game to play.
#14 of 19 Old 10-10-2004, 05:56 PM

Hi, I doubt it. I was induced at 32 weeks due to severe Pre-eclampsia that developed into HELLP syndrome and I still ended up with an emergency c-section. It took me about a year to get over the trauma of it. (((HUGS))) to you.
#15 of 19 Old 10-10-2004, 06:04 PM

Hi, I didn't have twins but had C-sections both likely brought on by the inductions I was "talked into" (brainwashed into). It is a fact, inductions often lead to C-sections for lots of reasons.

It is however important to keep processing your emotions after your birth experience. I "stuffed" mine for a long time, about a year, and on top of which I experienced nursing failure/premature weaning with DS1. It wasn't until I joined a breastfeeding grief group online that I realized the whole thing was all connected and that to process my breastfeeding grief I had to process the birth trauma and grief over loss of the birth experience I had desired.

The act of processing and going through all the grief stages (denial, anger, etc.) is important for our emotional well-being. The hindsight and second guessing are part of that, and as long as you don't get hung up on the "if onlys" can be very healthy and therapeutic.

to you and best of luck. Enjoy your little ones!
#16 of 19 Old 11-04-2004, 07:47 PM

Boy, I can really relate to your regrets and questions. I had the same dreams of a natural birth for my twins, and fought with my doctors for that throughout my pregnancy. In the end I had a c-section (not an emergency) because Audrey turned transverse at 38 weeks. To this day I wish I had gone home and tried to get her to turn, but I didn't. Almost everyone I have expressed my regrets to has said I should just be happy that we are all healthy and that twins can have so many complications...

So I understand your frustration and dissappointment. I can say that it is easier now, that I have healed somewhat, but the feelings aren't gone. It is grief, grief for what could have (should have?) been. It goes in stages -- go with it. Shed some tears and scream some. Write about it, whatever works for you. Process it and don't be ashamed of your feelings.

Hugs, Betsy
#17 of 19 Old 11-04-2004, 08:42 PM

After my first daughter was born, I really regretted all the interventions that led to our separation immediately after birth and decided on a homebirth for my second pregnancy. I wanted this birth to be perfect.

At 33 weeks, the babies stopped moving , and EFM indicated huge dips in their heartbeats (I had gone to the ER) and the OB urged a c-section. Filled with the bias of midwifery, I refused. He told me I couldn't leave the hospital without signing something admitting I was rejecting his medical advice. He called in another OB. She told me my babies were not going to make it if they were not born immediately. Sobbing, I agreed to it.

Lilly and Lucy were born white, limp, not breathing, not moving. Nobody thought they were going to make it. Both were in the early stages of damage to their central nervous system.

Four blood transfusions, four weeks in the NICU and countless drugs, tests and invasive procedures later, we took our babies home.

For the first year of their life, I hated myself for wasting four hours debating that damn c-section. What was the big deal? Could I have prevented their brain damage by getting them out four hours earlier?

Now, they are two years old and PERFECT. I am eternally grateful and humbled by the experience.

And the funny thing is, I don't mourn the loss of the birth experience I lost. Not even a little bit. I can now fathom the pain of mourning the loss of your babies because I came so close to losing mine. And we have more than made up for any lost time.

I know everyone has to cry their own tears, process their own grief and experience thier own pain. I don't think what anyone is feeling is right or wrong, it just is. I just wanted to share my story because I felt like I was where many of you are after the birth of my first baby, but life has offered me a new experience and perspective and made me more able to cherish where I am and less likely to harbor regrets.

All of us make the best decisions we can with the information we have. I really believe that.

Peace, love and HUGS to all!
#18 of 19 Old 11-04-2004, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLeah
Now, they are two years old and PERFECT. I am eternally grateful and humbled by the experience.

And the funny thing is, I don't mourn the loss of the birth experience I lost. Not even a little bit. I can now fathom the pain of mourning the loss of your babies because I came so close to losing mine. And we have more than made up for any lost time.

I know everyone has to cry their own tears, process their own grief and experience thier own pain. I don't think what anyone is feeling is right or wrong, it just is. I just wanted to share my story because I felt like I was where many of you are after the birth of my first baby, but life has offered me a new experience and perspective and made me more able to cherish where I am and less likely to harbor regrets.

All of us make the best decisions we can with the information we have. I really believe that.

Peace, love and HUGS to all!
MamaLeah, this is lovely and so well said, I think. We have to give ourselves the respect and love that we would want others to give us, but because we are women, and mommies, we think we must be perfect, and when we don't have the perfect birth experience, we are angry and we grieve. I think it is wonderful insight.

:
#19 of 19 Old 11-18-2004, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Wow MamaLeah! What an amazing story. It made me cry. Cry for what you went thru, for what did and could of happened to your babies, and for the happiness and thankfulness I have for our babies. Thank you for sharing your story!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page