For those who birthed vaginally - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-28-2004, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I'm unable to have my babies at home so I'll be delivering at a meternity hospital.

After the delivery of the first twin does the cord need to be cut right away or can the baby reach my chest with cord connected? I was thinking about the probability that the babies placentas will be fused and the possibility that the cord will not be long enough to reach all the way up to my chest. Wondering if this would pose the risk of causing the still in the womb twin's placenta to detatch before she/he is delivered???

Sorry if this is confusing! Maybe you could just tell me what you experienced in terms of cord cutting.

Thanks!

Blessings,
Anna
#2 of 11 Old 10-28-2004, 07:49 PM

hi, i can tell you my experience
every ultrasound had shown that there were 2 placentas
but when baby A was born (frank breech) her cord was sooo short that they couldn't even pull her away from my body
her placenta was up at my fundus but she insisted on coming first anyway (just like her) and had thomas between her and her placenta - big 8lb 11oz boy
anyway, one of the midwives was asking repeatedly "are we SURE there are 2 placentas????? are we SURE there are 2 placentas???" b/c we just had to cut iris loose
when they cut her cord it -zzzzipped- back up my vagina before they could even tie a thread on it or anything
my twins were born at home
i am sure that they wanted to at least wait a while before cutting her cord - even in my singleton births we waited until the placenta had been delivered
once they cut it they wanted to tie a colored string on it so they would know for sure whose placenta was whose
as it was, we knew anyway - big fat boy had a big fat placenta and little skinny girl (6lb even) had a little skinny placenta
the placentas were fused but you could easily see where one ended and the other began

hope you have a fabulous birth!!!!! and congrats on your babies

elyssia
#3 of 11 Old 10-28-2004, 09:37 PM

When dd was born vaginally her cord was cut right away b/c her cord was not long enough to bring her up to my belly and they were also early so they wanted her breathing asap. Right after she was born, ds became transverse, i.e., he went from head's down to sideways. This is pretty common for twins... i.e., once Baby A is out Baby B has tons of room and gets out of posiiton. Anyway, they had to do a c-section right then and there beause he wouldn't turn. I would think as long as there was not traction in Baby A's cord when putting the baby on your belly it wouldn't post a big risk?? I mean, if they have to tug it to get it up there, that's a problem anyway, right? I'm not sure how twins makes a difference there.
#4 of 11 Old 10-28-2004, 09:58 PM

if the twins share a placenta, you need to cut the cord right away to prevent one twin from bleeding into the other. i dont really know the specifics, but when i was learning how to do twin deliveries, that was something they always stressed.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#5 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 11:37 AM

Yup, like Periwinkle mine were also early & required breathing help right away so there was no time for chest laying. The cord was left in tact just long enough for him to be suctioned out well.
#6 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

That was a lot of great information and I appreciate it. My midwife had mentioned guiding twin B down to the birth canal (by applying pressure on my belly from outside) as soon as twin A is delivered and that sounds like an even better idea now that I understand that twin B often goes sideways. Makes good sense.

A couple of you had early deliveries. How early? Are you all of the opinion that term for twins is 37 weeks as opposed to 40 for a singleton or would you call 37 weeks early? I'm 29 weeks right now and hoping to go till 36 1/2 -38 weeks.

I've just started feeling like I'm so tired of being so huge! I look like I'm due today! lol And my pelvis feels like it may split in two.

I had a woman at the grocery store say "Oh you must be baking a thanksgiving turkey in there!" People are so funny.

~Anna
#7 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 06:17 PM

Mine were 32 weeks. My OB did say though that the majority of his twin deliveries weren't preemies.
#8 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 07:51 PM

Hi Anna -

I am also in the bay area and couldn't find a midwife to attend a homebirth of twins. I had my babies at Stanford Hospital. Zoe's cord was cut immediately. I think the hospital/medical model is to immediately 'fix' anything that might potentially be a problem. In hindsight, the immediate cutting of the cord is very low on the list of things that bothered me. (But by all means try to get that handled in the way you prefer.)

For example, immediately after Zoe was born, one of the nurses was right in there washing her face very roughly according to my husband. He protected Skye from a similar experience. And this nurse was very much trying to help us keep the birth natural. Just a lot of what they do I guess is normal procedure they don't even question. And no birth plan is going to be able to cover everything like this.

My midwife, who provided all of my prenatal care until 34 weeks, when she realized we had twins, was at the birth. And our OB was one she often worked with and described as a "midwife in disguise". But the hospital staff also have a huge say in how things are done, and so even though he was supportive, a lot of things happened that were not.

We weren't informed until I was actually being moved into the OR that they were not going to let my doula and midwife in there. My husband did some incredible real time negotiating to get them in there. Even though my O.B. had delivered many twins before in this hospital, with my midwife in attendence, he was not able to predict this!!

Anyway, I just sympathize with your situation. It is really hard to try to anticipate what things will be like in a hospital - so many more variables in terms of staff and common interventions. PM me if you would just like to hear more about my experiences. It was definitely overwhelming for me, especially near the end when discussions of induction and such came up.

The good news is that I did manage to have a vaginal birth. It just felt more like a huge medical chess game than giving birth.

Trust in yourself. Go in with your team, but try to be prepared to fight on your own if necessary.

Good luck! Good luck! Good luck!!!
#9 of 11 Old 10-31-2004, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademomma
if the twins share a placenta, you need to cut the cord right away to prevent one twin from bleeding into the other. i dont really know the specifics, but when i was learning how to do twin deliveries, that was something they always stressed.

This would only be in a Monozygotic set of twins that share one placenta and not referring to a fused placenta correct?

To answer the OP. My babies had a fused placenta which was at the very top of my uterus. I had a homebirth one day before my due date. I would say that full term for twins is just that. 40 weeks. It is so hard not to get into the mindset that because there are two it is earlier. Yes, in many cases it is, but this is also due to induction, etc.. I mention this because my goal was 38 weeks. When that time came and went and the triple digit heat of July in Las Vegas started to take it's toll, I started to lose it! LOL. I so wish I had just counted on 42 weeks like a singleton pregnancy, and been pleasantly surprised when they came at 40! All in all, my birth experience was great! I went into labor, like I said 1 day before my due date. Four hours start to finish. Our baby girl Avonlea was head down, and was born first. I had 3 midwives in attendance and my doula friend. AS she was born, she was immediately given to me, as one midwife listened to her and checked her. At that time Tate who was in a transverse lie across Avonlea, was still transverse. My other midwife gently guided him down externally as another midwife listened with a doppler to his HB. During this time I had had one long contraction(oh my..it lasted 7 1/2 minutes) He came down the birth canal, and I barely had to push, it seemed. He was handed directly to me, and there I had both my babies. Their cords were not cut until they stopped pulsing, and we have the coolest picture of their cords hanging out of me ( well, I think it is cool) and odd to see two cords! Also, Avonlea wa born in the caul (amniotic sac intact). My outer bag had broken high, but left the inner sac intact. I gues it all depends like you said on placement of cord, length, shared placenta etc.. Best of luck on your birth! It has been the ride of a lifetime, and no matter what anyone says... twins rock! Ignore the stupid comments. It is hard, I know, as you know you look like a walking oompa loompa!
hughestwins.homestead.com
#10 of 11 Old 11-29-2004, 04:27 AM

My babes were born at home at 40 weeks and 1 day. I agree with JoDoula's post re: due dates. I wish I had just counted on "full-term." At 34 weeks, we were ready with our birth kit, etc. At 36 weeks, I was getting impatient. At 38 weeks, I finally said, "42 weeks! That way, I'm not impatient!" And sure enough, they came at 40 weeks, unassisted.

Our son Psalm came first, head down. I birthed him on my knees while reaching under myself, and put him on the floor in front of me once he was born. But I was able to hold him against my chest, cord intact. We kept the cord unclamped and uncut for probably 10 minutes or so, until I started to feel contractions again, and then I wanted him to be held by my husband while I birthed our daughter. I tied off his cord with shoelaces, cut it, and my husband took him while I delivered Zoya, our little footling breech. Their placentas had fused into one and came out about 10 minutes after her birth. The babies weighed 7 pounds 10 ounces and 8 pounds 11 ounces, respectively.

A great day!
#11 of 11 Old 11-29-2004, 02:00 PM

My girls were born at 38w3d in a hospital. Although they are monozygotic twins, they did not share anything or have a fused placenta. Lillie (Baby A) - who was head down - was immediately put on my chest and I think her cord was cut within a minute or two of her birth. They had to take her pretty quickly because Faith was breech and they wanted to try to turn her if she didn't turn herself. She was successfully turned and was born 47 minutes after her sister. She too was brought straight to my chest and I don't know how long it was before her cord was cut.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page