Moms of twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-31-2004, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please post here so that I know there is indeed life after pregnancy.

I could also use some commiseration from anyone who was gigantic and had trouble sleeping during the last few months.
#2 of 10 Old 10-31-2004, 02:46 AM

Our twins will be five in November. For me the first year was eternity but POP here I am after all. Go figure.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#3 of 10 Old 10-31-2004, 04:51 PM

Moving this to Parenting Multiples...
#4 of 10 Old 10-31-2004, 11:29 PM

My twins are now 14 months.....the pregnancy was indeed
awful, especially the last few months and weeks and days!
I went to 40 weeks 0 days, and was gigantic....already for
months I was getting the "it must be any day now' remarks
from strangers. I couldn't sleep at all. I remember
thinking "I can't wait until these babies are born so I can get some
sleep!" Then I'd stop and think "OH my god, what am saying...
I think I'll be sleeping with two infants!" But you know what?
It was *so much* better with them on the outside! Finally,
I could sleep, and did with them, alot! In terms of difficulty
getting around....this was pretty awful, but luckily I'd joined the
Y sometime mid preg, so just wound up floating in the pool
or doing water yoga several hours a day, every day. it was the
only place I was even remotely comfortable. I thought I'd never
get over it....but I have! and you will too! hang in there mama!
Karen Smith
#5 of 10 Old 10-31-2004, 11:32 PM

Hi! And congrats!!!!!!!!!

My girlies are 4 and we are F.I.N.E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YEAH!

My preggy was awefully hard! mama
I was bedrested for 3.5 lllllong months!
You CAn do it!
#6 of 10 Old 11-01-2004, 03:43 PM

My twins are 13 months and there is DEFINITELY life after pregnancy. Once the babies arrive, your pregancy will seem like a distant memory. Mine does, anyway. I had a really rough pregnancy from the beginning. I was absolutely enormous during the latter half of my pregnancy (I only made it through 33 weeks). I can't imagine how big and miserable I would have gotten if I got closer to full-term.

I agree with Karen on the water thing. I took water aerobics when I was pregnant. Water was the only place I felt remotely comfortable. We also had a pool in our apt. complex and I spent a lot of time in that (I was pregnant during the summer).

Someone once told me that the reason you have trouble sleeping toward the end is nature's way of preparing you for sleepless nights when the babies come. I found that to be pretty accurate and it did kind of help me get prepared.

Hang in there, mama. Do you have the book "Mothering Multiples" by Karen Gromada? It's a good book to read now (before the babies arrive). Also, you might want to check out your local mothers of twins/multiples club in your area, if there is one. Mine has a buddy program for pregnant mamas. I learned a lot from women who had btdt.

Enjoy this time. It goes by really fast in hindsight. Having twins is the most amazing experience. I feel really lucky to have mine, even though I thought they were going to either kill me or drive me insane the first 6 months or so after they were born.
#7 of 10 Old 11-02-2004, 06:13 PM

I agree with other posters who have said they got more sleep after the babies arrived... I went to 39+2 so was pretty huge (and I'm only just 5'2"! - I looked bizarre), but my real problem was itching skin (the result of a liver problem), it was truly terrible. If it's any consolation to you, the only thing that is putting me off trying for some more babies is the thought of doing pregnancy again. The rest I can do again - no problem! So don't worry, and it will be so exciting when the babies come - I am envious...
#8 of 10 Old 11-03-2004, 03:23 PM

I think we can all commisserate with you!

The last trimester was really hard on me. I was on bedrest from 29 to 35 weeks, and then spent three weeks desperately trying to go into labor. I ended up delivering via scheduled c-section at 38 weeks, 2 days (at the end, every day feels like eternity!) because both babies were breech. I was measuring 53 cm the morning they were born, and they ended up weighing 14 pounds, 11 ounces combined, so there was a reason why I was so huge. The last three weeks of the pregnancy were probably the hardest part of the whole pregnancy. I was beyond huge. I was sure I would be pregnant forever. I had lots of trouble sleeping, and was convinced I was going into labor every night.

I found that eating snacks in the middle of the night helped me to get back to sleep. I wouldn't even necessarily FEEL hungry (although sometimes I certainly would), but as soon as I'd drink a glass of milk, or eat a bowl of cereal, I'd have no trouble getting back to sleep. I also had major heartburn troubles at the end, and I found it helped to sleep sort of upright with the help of lots of pillows.

I'm not going to tell you that the first couple months of having twins is easy, but I MUCH preferred it to the last couple months of being pregnant with twins. I remember I kept thinking about how human bodies were just NOT designed to carry more than one baby at a time.

Best of luck to you! Congratulations!

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#9 of 10 Old 11-03-2004, 03:44 PM

Ick. I remember having to sleep on our recliner some nights because I felt like I couldn't breathe lying down. And the first few months once they were born was equally challenging for me. But mine are going on 10 now so life most definitely does go on!
#10 of 10 Old 11-03-2004, 06:15 PM

Yes - the last month or so was just awful (I only went to 32 weeks - but was on complete bedrest from 20 weeks). In a way I was grateful to have the twins in the NICU for the first 6 weeks so that I could get some sleep at night. I was pumping but would go a 5-6 hour stretch at night the first bit. Once they came home - it was months before I got 5 hours sleep at one time.

single mama to 5 (12.5, 11, 10, and 8 year old twins)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page