What's the best sling for twins? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 12-01-2004, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi twinmamas -

I'm going to purchase a new sling for my 5 mos girls. Any opinions on the best one out there? I've been using 2 separate slings and just wearing them at the same time in each one. It works this way but I'm hoping there is a more comfy/convienent way. I saw the pics of CherylE on her thread. Looks great! I may get that one as it is the only one I've seen for 2 babies. Are there any others out there?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 12-06-2004, 08:58 PM

I did the Maya Pouches for my twins. One in front and one in back. Then I used one pouch in front and a homemade sling in front when they got a bit older.
#3 of 9 Old 12-27-2004, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did daycare for twins from 6 weeks until 18 mos....had to quit, because now I'm pregnant with twins!

I LOVED a ringed sling like a Maya or OTSBH when they were little and up through about 6 mos old. Then, I used a wrap style called "All Wrapped Up" made from hemp jersey by a local gal (sort of like Didymos....but I LOVED this one more!). I put one on my back and one on the front.

If we were just going in somewhere, I might just put one in the ring sling and carry the other and transfer to a shopping cart once we were inside. But the wrap was awesome for longer term. I could carry them both for hours without a problem, and they loved it. With practice, I could get them in and out on my own. I have photos if you'd like to see them in the sling.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#4 of 9 Old 12-27-2004, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my gosh Holly - How funny!! You watched twins and now you are having them!! I guess you'll be a little more prepared than the rest of us. :LOL

I'd love to see pictures! A visual is alway the best for me. The wrap one sounds like the way to go. Especially if you were able to carry them for hours at age 6 mos and older without a problem...and get them in and out on your own. Sounds like you're a pro!

And hotmamacita - are the Maya Pouches diff than the Maya sling? What are these like? And were you able to use for both babes at same time at 6 mos and older?

Thanks mamas for your help!
#5 of 9 Old 12-27-2004, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
E-mail me through my profile or PM me with your address and I'll send photos!

These twins aren't for me either This is a gestational surrogacy.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#6 of 9 Old 01-04-2005, 06:10 PM

I used the OTSBH for mine, but I think non-padded slings would be easier to use 2 at a time. I have some friends who swear by the Maya wrap.
#7 of 9 Old 03-04-2005, 03:40 AM

I'd also love to see pics of double slinging. I just can't seem to get the hang of it, and I've never had much luck with pouches.
#8 of 9 Old 03-04-2005, 12:44 PM

I'm meeting some local MDC moms at the park today, and hopefully will finally be able to try/perfect the back wrap with my gauze sling... I'll post a link (it's the article at the top left). http://www.mamatoto.org/default.aspx?tabid=63 The idea is to have the heavier baby on your back and then slip the lighter baby into the front cross that this certain position forms. I've been SO EAGER to try it out, but just can't get it on my own at home.

My friend was slinging her 2 year old twins in 2 separate Maya ring slings, one on each hip.

Don't forget to see sling pictures here (bottom of page): http://www.karengromada.com/photos.htm
#9 of 9 Old 03-05-2005, 09:28 AM

For winter I *love* 2 fleece pouches (my mom made mine, but several places sell them now, Kangaroo Korner was about the only place that sold them when we made mine, so we made them adjustable like KK's, but in retrospect, I wouldn't bother with the adjustable part. I think hotslings (among others) makes a plain fleece pouch & I've heard great things about their slings.

But I also wouldn't live w/o my unpadded ring slings, there were definately stages where I needed that adjustability (& they're lighter weight for summer use).

Once they got past the "nurse every 5 min" stage, I got Kozy carrier & LOVE that for back carries!! I would put one in a pouch tummy-to-tummy & the other on my back in the Kozy & I was good to go

So, bare minimum I would recommend an unpadded ring sling, fleece pouch & ABC. Ideally I would recommend 2 of each

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page