Yet another newbie - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-23-2005, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, all. I just started posting around these parts yesterday. I just found you all and figured I'd stop in.

I have 2 and 1/2 year-old fraternal twin girls (who look nothing alike). So far, they're my only kids, but we want 2 more.

I'm a Certified Breastfeeding Educator, a writer, and a SAHM.

There's lots more, but I don't want to bore you all too quickly.

It's pretty rare that I find other twin parents who advocate AP, so I'm thrilled to find you all.

edited because I randomly switched to past tense when I shouldn't have. Sorry about that.
#2 of 11 Old 01-23-2005, 03:44 PM

Hello, Hyphen and welcome to the Multiples corner of MDC. I have a Lillie too! We have three daughters and would very happily welcome at least one more baby into our family (although I'd happily welcome many more then that DH isn't as convinced ). I'm currently looking into becoming a Breastfeeding Educator but can't seem to locate any classes in my area...which is odd since I live near DC and Baltimore. If you know of any my way, please pass that info along to me!!

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#3 of 11 Old 01-23-2005, 05:33 PM

Welcome. My boys also look nothing alike. They're about to turn 10.

So what do you write?
#4 of 11 Old 01-24-2005, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well, for the first year after I had my girls, I didn't write anything. Now, though, I find everything I write revolves around breastfeeding in one way or another. I don't set out to do that, but it just happens.

I had an article I wrote on bfing published in a German magazine (I speak maybe 3 words of German. They translated it and published it). I had an essay in New Beginnings (you can read that here ). And the story of the girls' birth will be included in Birthing Mamas, Strong Women, Real Births which is due out in the Summer. I'm really excited about that one because I've only been published on the web and in magazines. That will be the first book.

I keep insisting I'm going to publish a book of what not to say to parents of multiples because I'm always baffled by the things people say. What is it about multiples that make people speak without first consulting their brain?
#5 of 11 Old 01-24-2005, 01:59 PM

Hi Hyphen!

Welcome! I just read your New Beginnings. What a beautiful and positive writing!

I have twin girls too. They just turned 7 mos and look SO much alike. I have a beautiful 24 mos ds too - his sissys look just like him.

What is it about multiples that make people speak without first consulting their brain?
Yep I hear ya on that. This weekend a couple wanted to take a picture of our twins...thank god they forgot their camera. I suppose since I was slinging both at the same time they were taken back??? Anway along with the usual nice comments of how cute your twins are, they said "Oh this one looks like the older one, how far apart are they?". I respond with "uh 1 minute". Then I get "So are they exactly the same?". And I respond "They are identical if that's what you mean but they do have differences."

What I really don't like is when people ask their names and then they say 'Oh Angelena, what a beautiful name'. I understand that not everyone loves the name Josephine as I do but I sure hope that people take my girls feelings into consideration as they get older and hear those comments. I'll be sure to speak up if they don't.
#6 of 11 Old 01-24-2005, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmilkmama
What I really don't like is when people ask their names and then they say 'Oh Angelena, what a beautiful name'. I understand that not everyone loves the name Josephine as I do but I sure hope that people take my girls feelings into consideration as they get older and hear those comments. I'll be sure to speak up if they don't.
I personally LOVE the name Josephine!!

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#7 of 11 Old 01-24-2005, 07:26 PM

Hello Hyphen!

Quote:
What is it about multiples that make people speak without first consulting their brain?
Couldn't agree more! A woman in a shop recently asked my the age of my boys. I said "13 months" and then she asked if they were twins.... Also, a friend of mine once said "I think I like Daniel best" - as if they were dolls or something. I could not quite believe it!

(Gotmilkmama, I think Josephine is a great name too... it reminds me of one of my heroes Josephine Butler - an amazing woman who fought to improve the lives of women and girls in so many ways.. A good choice )
#8 of 11 Old 01-24-2005, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Ohhhh. I never thought about the name thing. I get that a lot. People will hear Ellie's full name (well, her full first name, she actually has a whole collection of names) and then they'll typically ask me to repeat it and some people will say, "Oh, that's so pretty." The only comment I think I've ever gotten about Lily's name is an elderly man on base who got a confused look and said, "That was my wife's mother's name." I got the impression that he was surprised to see a baby with a name his considered old fashioned. I'm gonna need to plan for ways to deal with that in the future now that they're old enough to understand.

I look 10 years younger than I am (as does dh), so I'm always asked how far apart my girls are in a judgemental tone. I also use the "1 minute" answer which usually works. Although, I do get people who then ask if they're twins. I had one woman who told me matter-of-factly, "They're not twins, but they're awful close." I just gave her a look and said, "They ARE twins." I don't get it. The girls are 3 lbs different and 1/2 an inch. How on earth could they be anything other than twins?

Then again, a friend of mine has two older girls who are 11 months apart. She said when they were younger, people always asked if they were twins. She didn't get it because one was very obviously bigger than the other. I told her I wished I could run into some of her idiots.
#9 of 11 Old 01-25-2005, 12:38 PM

Thanks Karen and Ali for the nice comments about Josephine's name. I'm glad there are others out there that really appreciate it. Thanks for the great link too Ali.
#10 of 11 Old 01-25-2005, 01:46 PM

I started a thread a while back called "Stupid Questions" you might want to check out...it's great for a good laugh!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...upid+Questions

I've gotten so many rude and stupid comments from people. Some of my favorites are once a woman at Kmart asked me if they were identical and when I told her yes she looked at them very closely and said "Hmmm...I don't think so." in a very smart a$$ tone. I said "Well, they're DNA says that they are!" Another time DH and I took all three girls to Wal-Mart. Our oldest dd is 27-months older then her sisters and has super long hair which makes her look even older then that...the twins were about a year at the time. This lady says to us "Oh! Are they twins?" and then very quickly asks "Or are they triplets?!" Huh?! Yeah...they're triplets.

#11 of 11 Old 01-25-2005, 04:01 PM

I've had so many people ask me if my twins are identical. This is generally after they know one is a boy and one is a girl. My ds has a big round face and is super chubby (over 20 lbs) and my dd has a narrow face and is kind of skinny (about 15 lbs). But I also have lots of people ask the age difference because they are such different sizes and can't believe they are twins.

mama to six ('98, '00, '04, '04, '06, '08)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page