Did you have any symptoms that clued you in? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-25-2005, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I posted about this in the Pregnant forum but I thought I'd ask you experienced mamas.

I am sure that every woman has this suspicion/fantasy at some point, but bear with a crazed, ill pregnant woman. I have really gotten it into my head that I am having twins and am getting upset/excited about it. Here are my symptoms:

1. Ten billion times sicker than I was with ds (in fact, I wasn't sick at all with him)
2. I have a belly, and it seems to grow every day, and I'm only 6 weeks
3. I was charting, and I couldn't tell my O date well; there were two possible days (CD 18 and 20) and FF wouldn't give me solid crosshairs http://www2.fertilityfriend.com/home/5d839
4. My sense of smell is really strong already and that didn't happen till the end last time
5. I already have a lot of that lovely vaginal discharge and special pregnancy odor
6. My emotions are crazy
7. Round ligament pains started last week

So please, please reassure me I am not having multiples. With a 10 month old child, I might have to run away screaming!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#2 of 20 Old 01-25-2005, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious about this too.

Mother to two great kids. &
#3 of 20 Old 01-26-2005, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had all of those symptoms with my second who was conceived 13 months after my first and I did NOT have twins. I was convinced I was having twins, my stomach looked 4 months pregnant when I was 4 weeks! I think it just has to do with having them close together. Just my two centes.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#4 of 20 Old 01-26-2005, 10:52 AM

Well for me, and I am probably the exception, my symptoms were fewer. With my first 2, I was sick, very sick for the first 14 weeks. This time, with the twins, I only have 4 rough days so far (I am 15 1/2 weeks). My sense of smell is always heightened. I assumed I was measuring large due to this being my third pregnancy. The only reason I suspected twins was that I have a history in my family of twins and I just had a feeling. Good luck!
#5 of 20 Old 01-26-2005, 11:01 AM

Just curious!
#6 of 20 Old 01-26-2005, 01:58 PM

I had less severe symptoms when preggo with my twins. With my dd, I was nauseous all throught the first trimester and felt much better after it ended. I wasn't as nauseous or tired with the boys as I was with my dd. Not ever close to getting sick or rough days.

The only thing I thought was odd was that my belly stuck out REALLY fast, but I chalked that up to being the second pregnancy and things being stretched out from dd.
#7 of 20 Old 01-26-2005, 02:23 PM

I didn't really notice much difference early on in comparison to my singletons. I did have a really strong feeling that it was 2 babies from the time I found out I was pregnant though plus I was sure they were boy/girl. I had an hcg test done at the dr office 2 days after finding out I was pregnant and my number was really really high. I'm not sure that I felt any sicker than I did with my others. I didn't allow any meat to be cooked in my house the entire pregnancy though because the smell made me so queasy. I didn't have that problem with my others. My belly did stick out really quickly (maybe around 8 weeks) and got big fast. I measured full term at 26 weeks along.

mama to six ('98, '00, '04, '04, '06, '08)
#8 of 20 Old 01-31-2005, 01:51 AM

I had prayed for twins...

- I was charting and noticed that my high temps were 1.5 degrees higher instead of the average 0.5 degrees...
- Also I was twice as sick. (This is funny to say, here's why: with first ds, the only time I was "sick" the whole pregnancy was once in the backseat of a car when I felt queasy; I just ate a saltine and got some fresh air and felt better. This time with twins, twice as sick means right in the beginning (about implantation time or the next week), I was queasy enough to hug the toilet for awhile once, though nothing happened.)
- Big "symptom" was that at my first OB appointment at 14 1/2 weeks, my fundal height measured large -- 21 weeks! It stayed 7-11 centimeters ahead of my pregnancy week all throughout the pregnancy. I've never heard of a non-multiple gestation where the fundal height was more than 3 or 4 weeks ahead at the most. Usually it's right on with a singleton. But I don't think the difference starts showing like that until after 12 weeks.
#9 of 20 Old 01-31-2005, 11:40 AM

I didn't have any obvious symptoms of being pregnant with twins but looking back there were many things pointing toward the possibility. When pg with my oldest dd, I had mild nausea and gagged VERY easily when brushing my teeth. When I was pg the second time (with my twins), the nausea wasn't worse but the gagging was. The morning of my ultrasound to date the pregnancy, I threw up because I had gagged myself. My dh made a comment about "This pregnancy is harder on you then the first one". I didn't think it was hard but it was a bit different.

We also had some weird moments that looking back were funny. At my first appointment for my second pregnancy, my OB told me a funny story about a patient of his who he had just delivered. She had 9 children and was getting her tubes tied. She missed the appointment because something happened with one of her children and the next month she was pg with twins. He then scheduled my ultrasound to "date the pregnancy for sure...and to also rule out multiples". I had no reason to believe there were more then one so I asked him (laughing) whether he had a feeling or not. He said no. The morning of my ultrasound dh made another comment about "Wouldn't it be funny if it was twins!" On the way into the building it hit me like a ton of bricks...they're going to tell me there are two in me! And sure enough...there were!

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#10 of 20 Old 02-02-2005, 03:00 PM

<<I've never heard of a non-multiple gestation where the fundal height was more than 3 or 4 weeks ahead at the most.>>

I got back from my midwife appt yesterday a little nervous. I am at the end of 10 weeks (absolutely sure of that) and my fundal height is 16 weeks. I was going to wait to get an ultrasound until around 20 weeks. My midwife suggested that I get one now, but was totally OK with waiting another 10 weeks. She said there is no difference in treatment for twins at this point anyway.

Should I go ahead and get the ultrasound? If I don't get the Medicaid that I applied for yesterday, we have to pay everything out of pocket and can barely afford to pay the midwife for a homebirth. Of course, if I'm carrying twins, that changes everything. I could barely sleep last night and am obsessed with the possibility. I am driving myself crazy.

Now or wait?
#11 of 20 Old 02-02-2005, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyR
She said there is no difference in treatment for twins at this point anyway.

Should I go ahead and get the ultrasound?

Now or wait?
Now!!! There may not be a difference in her treatment until that point however, there is a difference in the way you need to be treating the pregnancy. Things such as the amount and types of food you eat, vitamins, your weight gain, etc. has a huge affect on how your babies grow. There is a book called "When You're Having Twins, Triplets or More" by Dr. Barbara Luke that is a MUST HAVE for all women carrying more then one baby. She outlines weight gain requirements, nutrition, vitamins, etc. I give her a huge amount of credit for how big my babies were at birth (6 lbs. 13 oz. and 7 lbs. 1 oz.). I know other women have had much larger babies then mine by following her methods as well. Schedule that ultrasound right away...and let us know what happens! The sooner you get started on growing big babies, the better!

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#12 of 20 Old 02-03-2005, 11:37 AM

OK. I'll get the ultrasound next week. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
#13 of 20 Old 02-04-2005, 08:28 PM

I went to get an ultrasound this afternoon to see how many babies I'm carrying. It's just one (phew!) healthy baby with a new due date of 8/17/05. Still too early to tell the sex. I guess I just have a big "experienced" uterus. LOL.

Back to planning my homebirth.
#14 of 20 Old 02-04-2005, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
So how many weeks did you get moved ahead, CandyR?

I saw my singleton baby today. Thanks to everyone for reassuring me. Alas, just one!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#15 of 20 Old 02-04-2005, 09:58 PM

I just got moved up 8 days, Lilli. It was no surprise because I knew that I ovulated early.

Congrats on your singleton!
#16 of 20 Old 02-13-2005, 04:21 PM

I knew by 10 weeks that I was having twins although ultrasounds didn't confirm it. I actually laid down and cried at the prospect of carrying two even though I had no proof. All I had was an intense gut feeling. I KNEW.
I had a serious potbelly by 10 weeks and something felt very different than my two previous pregnancies. I had to beg the dr to let me get an ultrasound to proove it and even told my family that I was having twins.
They all thought I was crazy.
#17 of 20 Old 02-22-2005, 02:14 PM

By 10 weeks, my fundus was already at my bellybutton. I kept trying to talk myself out of twins, but dh knew we were having multiples. 3 weeks later I thought I was miscarrying and went for an ultrasound .. . 2 babies. . . dh said, "I told you so." I wanted to slap him!!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#18 of 20 Old 04-18-2005, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My husband is already referring to my baby as "babies". He has remarked often that this pregnancy is much harder on me than my previous 2, as well as that my belly is as big now (15 weeks) as it is by 25 usually. I have been feeling movement since 10 weeks. I feel like I am closer to 30 weeks, I get so winded, I cramp often hardly doing anything... like walking in the mall for 2 hrs makes my uterus feel raw and crampy and I can feel my cervix getting pressure! At 15 weeks!

The reasons I dont think I am pregnant with twins:
1) I was sicker with this baby, but I dont feel that I was sick enough to even entertain the idea of twins. I had major food aversion and was extremely nauseated during first tri, and only gained 6 lbs. I have put on 7 lbs in the past 3 weeks now, though. Making up for lost time. Usually Ive gained 15 lbs by 15 weeks during pregnancy.

2) We were only looking for one heartbeat at my 12 week appt and we found the heartbeat. Midwife remarked "I can see why they gave you an early ultrasound with LIly, because that is definitely NOT a 12 week uterus!" She did not meausre the height of my fundus, though.

3) Wasn't twins then either. Although I feel like I am humongous already with this baby and that my fundal height must be far ahead, I didnt not feel like I was measuring large for dates when my OB wanted a U/S at 14 weeks last time.
#19 of 20 Old 04-28-2005, 09:36 PM

I have this question too and really don't want to get an ultrasound (yet). I'm 23.5 weeks, measuring right on track, but feeling, well, FULL OF BABY! way more than last time. I've only gained 15 pounds so far too. But, today I felt movement at two very different places at the same time - one up high on the right and one down low on the left. How is interuterine movement different with twins or multiples than onlies.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#20 of 20 Old 05-05-2005, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama
I have this question too and really don't want to get an ultrasound (yet). I'm 23.5 weeks, measuring right on track, but feeling, well, FULL OF BABY! way more than last time. I've only gained 15 pounds so far too. But, today I felt movement at two very different places at the same time - one up high on the right and one down low on the left. How is interuterine movement different with twins or multiples than onlies.
With dd4 I had moments where I could feel movement all over the place. One time my heart skipped because I thought "no way is one baby that long yet". Well, it was one baby, and she is the most wiggly, active, on-the-move baby of all of them!

I didn't feel my twins early, and the US showed them facing each other, which they did for most of the pregnancy. I suspect that they felt more than I did!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page