If you found out you were pregnant with multiples again... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 03-04-2005, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would you cry or be happy?

I'm just curious (not pregnant!) Sometimes I wonder if it will happen to me again, and I don't know how I'll feel, now that I know some of the bad as well as the good.
#2 of 31 Old 03-04-2005, 12:38 PM

I would be so happy!!! Maybe then I'd get the identical girls I had prayed for initially... LOL
#3 of 31 Old 03-04-2005, 01:58 PM

Honestly?

I'd cry. For a really long time.

And when they were born I'd get my tubes tied.

Five kids under four would send me into the abyss of extreme depression.
#4 of 31 Old 03-04-2005, 09:15 PM

I'd be happy. However my pregnancy with my twins was horrible compared to my singletons. I'd prefer them to come one at a time from now on.

My 4 year old wants me to have triplets next time. She even has names picked out. :LOL

mama to six ('98, '00, '04, '04, '06, '08)
#5 of 31 Old 03-04-2005, 10:21 PM

Honestly, I'd cry. The twins are wonderful but so much work. I just can't imagine having two babies again and doing everything I need to do. I can hardly do that now. Oh, and ya, after their birth, tubes tied! (or at least dh would be getting a vas!).
#6 of 31 Old 03-05-2005, 02:11 AM

:
#7 of 31 Old 03-05-2005, 03:40 AM

I've thought about this a lot. Mostly because I've toyed with the idea of having another baby & I think I'm really fertile. I couldn't assume I'd just have one baby if I got pregnant again.

I think I'd cry and be happy at the same time--just like I did the first time I found out I was having twins.

My twins were my first children, and I often think that if I had another set of twins (NOT triplets or more! I can't even think of that as a possibility!) that I could handle it. Although, we're going through a stage right now where they need me ALL the time and it's really rough. I'm so tired. I don't remember it being this hard since the newborn period. But overall, I think I could do it again. Twins only though.

It's a good thing I believe in birth control. :LOL
#8 of 31 Old 03-05-2005, 08:24 AM

Well, first of all I'd be really shocked!!!! Since my twins are mz & mz twins aren't hereditary, the odds of 2 sets of mz twins are extremely rare (& I don't have a family history of dz twins so no reason to suspect we'd have those either).

While I certainly wouldn't *choose* another set of twins, I think I'd feel calmer about it this time around than I was when I found out about the 1st set. I know how it's done, I know it's survivable, and in many ways I think it would be *easier* with older kids to help hand a toy to one baby while I'm feeding the other or whatever.
#9 of 31 Old 03-06-2005, 01:13 AM

I just had a dream I was pregnant with identical boys (I have a singleton girl and identical girls) and after I found out (in the dream) I was sobbing so hard I couldn't catch my breath to tell my husband.

In real life, I think I'd feel about the same. I just don't want to do all that again. It was soooo hard!

Holding my breath...
#10 of 31 Old 03-06-2005, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmamacita
:
Mamacita, are you praying yes to twins again, or no? lol
#11 of 31 Old 03-09-2005, 11:09 AM

I'd cry. When I found out I was expecting my youngest, about three hours after the shock of being pregnant started sinking in, it started to hit me that it could be twins again. I was extremely worried about that happening. Of course, there was just one of him but the previous 4 years flashed before my eyes and I couldn't imagine going through it again.
#12 of 31 Old 03-09-2005, 12:38 PM

I'd be happy. And I used to want to punch people in the face that said things like "Oh, I always wanted twins!!". But I would definitely put ds back in ps.

My twins are 28mo now, and they are easier as twins than they would be as a singleton most days.
#13 of 31 Old 03-09-2005, 05:14 PM

Both sets are b/g, both sets are completely spontaneous and both times I did not "realize" I was pg until about 6 weeks along. I had the "stomach flu" that just wouldn't go away???? :LOL :

I'll tell you that when I found out -- well, I took a pg test on a thurs night and Friday morning called my ob and INSISTED on an u/s. Thankfully I got one that day. But, I guess deep down I sort of "knew"??? kwim??? It was still a shock to see those two little black circles again though.

I couldn't speak about it through the weekend. I didn't cry... but I felt every emotion you possibly could. I was scared, angry, overwhelmed, thrilled, depressed and elated all at the same time.

My first set are 3 1/2 years old. They were born 7/14 and my due date is 7/12. Hows THAT for timing???

I would say it took me until at least 17 weeks along to not be feeling all of those emotions at the same time, every day, all day long. Oh, and the severe m/s and fatigue did nothing to put me in a better mood.

But, seeing them at my 20 week u/s and now that I'm feeling them kick every day, all day... I'm beginning to get excited you know??

We still don't know how we're going to "do it". But, we didn't the first time either and everything worked out perfectly. I have faith that it will this time too. So, in some respects, I stress LESS about things that are out of my control than I did last time.

One thing for sure: DH is getting fixed as soon as these babies are born. No questions asked. Last time I was pg, even after, people would say, "oh you've got a boy and a girl... you MUST be done, right?". Well, I knew I wasn't done... but I figured ONE baby next time, if I ever did get pg again. We weren't trying, but not preventing either... but I don't have regular periods at all. So, "charting" isn't an option for me.

Now, I know, without a doubt, that this is the last time I will ever be pg -- and I'm totally fine with it, lol.

Nancy
mama to Emily and Nathan 7/14/01
edd 7/12/05 with b/g twins
#14 of 31 Old 03-10-2005, 01:14 AM

I would LOVE to have another set of twins. I am a fraternal twin, I had twins but lost one during my 2nd pregnancy, then had b/g twins with my 4th pregnancy, then conceived triplets with my 5th pregnancy but lost the identical twins and ended up with just my son. SO.....my dh and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have another set of twins or triplets some day, and with my personal history, the odds are in my favor to at least conceive multiples. I'd just really like to be able to carry both (or all) babies to delivery.
#15 of 31 Old 03-10-2005, 11:01 AM

OMG we went through this when TTC for dc#3 (4 weeks old ). I would have bawled my eyes out if he had been twins. Just being honest. But we finally figured what the hey, we'll only get what we're meant to have anyway and whether twins or singleton, we'll make it through, kwim?
#16 of 31 Old 03-10-2005, 11:04 AM

Another thing I just thought of is I think I would have handled it much better this past pregnany, having only known twins, than I would if I get pregnant again, having now experienced a normal singleton full term pregnancy and the unbelievable, incomparable EASE of mothering one baby compared to two. I think if dh and I decide to try for #4 at some point, I may have to use sonogram or something during O to make sure I only have one ripening follicle before TTC. One is just too blissful compared to two babies, it would be really really hard for me to have twins now.
#17 of 31 Old 03-10-2005, 02:59 PM

I'd do both - cry AND be happy. I often feel as though I'll get preg with twins again. I know chances are SUPPOSE to be slim as I had MZ twins. But after the surprise of my life finding out I was preg with 2...I am not ruling out anything!! I'll tell you that my dh is certainly scared! :LOL

I try not to worry about it too much as it's out of my hands anyway. I think 2 little twins boys this time around would be awesome. Then I think that I'm a few steps away from the looney bin as it is and what in the heck am I thinking. I think having only one more right now would make us coo coo. Although I've always wanted a big family. I think my family and friends are freaked out about it too. Not so much twins but just me having another baby. Having 3 babies within 1 1/2 years has made an impression. Anytime I'm about to tell a friend or family member something, they say "Oh my god are you pregnant again!".

I do want 4 kids though. So I go back and forth with the idea of getting pregnant again soon...or waiting till later. Do I want all 4 of my little ones close in age? Or do I want that 4th bambino to arrive a bit later when my others are at least out of diapers or older? Or what if I do decide to have the 4th one sooner rather than later and it ends up being the 4th AND THE 5th!!!!

Well not to worry now I suppose. Cycles haven't come back and we don't have ANY time for sex anyway! :LOL
#18 of 31 Old 03-10-2005, 08:42 PM

I'd cry - 5 kids just seems like too much My twins have been easier than my singleton was but I still don't want another set. I *really* want another baby but the thought of having another set of twins is stopping me cold. I would love to have 4 kids but not 5 and yeah, I'd like to experience having a singleton after a high needs colicky first born and then twins.
#19 of 31 Old 03-11-2005, 02:27 PM

I don't know how I'd feel. With my last two pregnancies I have been both relieved and disappointed that they were singletons.

Another baby at all is pretty much out of the question, 4 kids is dh's limit so he has had the snip.

But if it were to happen, I wouldn't mind a set of boys!
#20 of 31 Old 03-11-2005, 02:50 PM

I would cry and laugh, and then cry and laugh...
#21 of 31 Old 03-11-2005, 05:24 PM

i think i would be thrilled, actually. my twins have been surprisingly easy although i don't think that kind of luck could come twice! personally, i find it a whole lot easier raising two of the same age rather than two of different ages... their needs are pretty similar, they're reaching milestones pretty close together... i'd go for another set.
#22 of 31 Old 03-12-2005, 02:46 PM

the journey so far has been hard, but wonderful and fulfilling and magical and..oh I could go on and on! I would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to have another set of twins or more. The bond, the dynamics of them. Just the whole package is amazing. I feel SO honoured that they chose me to be thier mom, and I would SO feel honoured to be a mom to multiples again.
#23 of 31 Old 04-04-2005, 01:07 AM

my first set of twins were 6 months old when i found out i was pregnant with another set. they are now 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 and i wouldn't change it for the world!!
i was very happy to findout that i was going to have 2 more babies!!
#24 of 31 Old 04-04-2005, 12:33 PM

Mama, I am officially in awe of you!

And here I am with two 3 year-olds and a newborn baby feeling busy! What an armful of hugs and love. Congratulations!!
#25 of 31 Old 06-28-2005, 07:36 PM

Old thread I know but I just had to say that Iwould love it. I was jealous when a friend of mine just got to have twin boys I am happy for her too. When I had dd 3 I secretly hoped for twins again which surprised my mid wife when she found out.

homebirthing,,homeschooling intactalactivist mom to 3dd jumpers.gifand 2dsbouncy.gif.babyf.gifAlways busy
#26 of 31 Old 07-01-2005, 01:30 AM

I didn't see this thread the first time around. I have to say that I would be THRILLED to have another set of twins!! I loved being pregnant with two...giving birth to two...nursing two...having two babies...two toddlers....nursing two toddlers (yes, they are 2 1/2 and still nursing ). Wow! It's been such an amazing journey so far!

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#27 of 31 Old 07-06-2005, 09:39 PM

I would cry buckets. I love my girls, and I think having twins is amazing, but the logistics of it are crazy. Trying to feed two babies, comfort two babies, rock two babies, sleep with two babies, etc, etc, is just too much for me to go through again. It's great now that they are older, and I can watch their interactions in awe, but I don't want to go through the infant twin stage ever again.
#28 of 31 Old 07-06-2005, 09:54 PM

:

Since my last post dh and I have started having "what if" conversations about whether or not we'd want to try for a 4th child. The thing we keep saying within 10 seconds of starting the conversation is BUT WHAT IF IT'S TWINS!
#29 of 31 Old 07-07-2005, 01:48 AM

The day I lost my first set of twins I died. I thought that was a gift I had would never get again. I mourned my babies and the loss of the special status. I wanted to be the mom of twins it had been my dream for my whole childhood. Two years after I lost my twin boys I got pregnant again. I remember my dr. telling me I was pregnant, I laughed I didn't believe it. I was still having my periods and I just had a very bad flu, I knew it. My dr. sent me for an ultrasound to check how far along I was. I was sure she would just find a cyst, I told the tech that she had better not tell me there was twins. the tech turned and said how did you know? Again I laughed, then the screen was turned so I could see my 9 wk babies, baby a and baby b. It was truely the best day of life.
#30 of 31 Old 07-07-2005, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megpaw
I would cry buckets. I love my girls, and I think having twins is amazing, but the logistics of it are crazy. Trying to feed two babies, comfort two babies, rock two babies, sleep with two babies, etc, etc, is just too much for me to go through again. It's great now that they are older, and I can watch their interactions in awe, but I don't want to go through the infant twin stage ever again.
You're too close to it. I thought that too when it was so fresh, but now I love it. Give it some time and the stress of the infancy stage will fade and you will be left with mushy feelings when you look at baby pictures.

When I was out with my girls the first 1.5 yrs and someone would say, I always wanted twins, I was struck with an overwhelming urge to punch them. I still say, You don't know what you are talking about.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page