Gentle Twin Directionals 2yrs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-04-2005, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, Honestly I am sad I don't get a lot of response when I post in the multiples section ~ mamas of 2+ twins please respond when you can?

My twins have a love/competition circle they are going in, and I want some descriptions of how you would handle this situation:

One twin grabs a much-loved, territorial toy/blankie from the other, which results in a banshee scream and resulting police chase around the house.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Maya
#2 of 11 Old 04-04-2005, 04:19 AM

We're going through this too - at 18 months. I hope you get some helpful responses, I'll be lurking!
#3 of 11 Old 04-04-2005, 02:48 PM

that's when we introduced the idea of "trading" with them. If they wanted something the other one had, they had to offer something to trade.

Of course, they didnt entirely get the idea as my daughter would finish her popsicle and throw the stick at her brother and yell "trade" as she was trying to take his unfinished popsicle away from him. :LOL It's funny now looking back, but I guess was frustrating at the time.

Anyway, it did help the situation a lot of the times.

Good luck!

Nancy
mama to Emily and Nathan 7/14/01
edd with b/g twins 7/12/05

edited to correct due date
#4 of 11 Old 04-05-2005, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Nancy, we will try that...I love the popsicle story!

grazie for responding, makes this sensitive mama feel better...lol
#5 of 11 Old 04-05-2005, 05:29 PM

exactly. The switching thing is what we do in this house. We also introduced the NO grabbing concept to them. ANd MOm and Dad have to follow these rules too. No grabbing! You ask noce and you talk nice. And as they get older, it will help teach them the concept of asking and talking with respect.
#6 of 11 Old 04-06-2005, 04:31 PM

We do trade but when it works, for example when they both have a plug but one twin steals the other's - usually right out of his or her mouth. Otherwise, if someone "steals" something, we take it and give it back to the original owner and then try to find something else for the little thief. The sad part of this method is that the thief usually end up getting more attention. My two are almost 18 months old.
#7 of 11 Old 04-12-2005, 11:18 AM

My daughter figured out about the trading thing all on her own - her brother's always taking her toys, so she'll use a decoy to distract him! It often works! Sometimes, though, she just gets fed up with him & I'll separate them for a while so she can play uninterrupted.

I've read that it's okay to just let them work things out on their own, so I try to do that if it's not too incendiary. Mine are only 14 months, though, so I may have to change tactics later.
#8 of 11 Old 04-13-2005, 11:51 AM

At 2 I let them work it on their own, with occasional help. Their special cuddly toys are off limits, however. If one ran off with her sisters special toy then I'd immediately intervene, return the item and give the victim a hug. Sometimes the snatcher's blanky would get a time-out.
#9 of 11 Old 04-18-2005, 02:51 AM

I am wondering why you would put the blanket in a time out?
#10 of 11 Old 04-18-2005, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmarty
I am wondering why you would put the blanket in a time out?
It's just what worked for us. In this scenario (E runs off with A's doll, repeatedly, despite warnings) I take E's blanket to help her empathize with A and understand what she's doing. She isn't trying to be mean, and putting her in time-out isn't appropriate. Taking her blanket and putting it up for a minute lets her see how her sister feels.
#11 of 11 Old 04-18-2005, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasinpod
One twin grabs a much-loved, territorial toy/blankie from the other, which results in a banshee scream and resulting police chase around the house.
Are you lurking around my house?! My twins are 2 1/2 and one of my girls has a "B" that is VERY beloved and cherished. Her twin and their older sister went through a stage where they thought it was funny to take "B" from Faith and tease her with it. I very quickly made it off limits to take "B" or to in any way tease Faith with it. It was upsetting her so much and wasn't fair to her to be the target of their teasing. I sat them both down and told them that it wasn't okay and that it upset Faith for them to take "B". I explained to them how much she loved "B" and that seemed to help.

Now, if it's a shared toy and it's one they both want then you can either set a timer and let each twin play with it a set time or you can do the toy time-out someone else suggested. That has worked with us in the past.

To comment on you not receiving feed-back when you post here sometimes...I don't think that's lack of interest as much as it is that it's hit or miss on how busy this board can be. I know there are times I can check the board a few times in a week and others when weeks will go by before I can check. KWIM?

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page