expecting twins in september!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-20-2005, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we are over the initial shock but still in awe.
My big question right now is how am I going to have time for my three year old once the twins are here? Thanx to all of you who have done this already, I'll be coming to forum alot this pregnancy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 04-20-2005, 09:14 PM

I have no idea, but I wanted to subscribe since I also have a 3 year old and am expecting twins in September.

Congratulations!!

Trying to get my bearings...
#3 of 10 Old 04-20-2005, 09:24 PM

Congratulations (to both of you)!!! :

No advice on dealing with a singleton toddler with newborn twins (my twins were my first), but there are many mamas here who have. I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice.
#4 of 10 Old 04-21-2005, 02:20 PM

I just remembered this. Check out "Mothering Multiples" by Karen Gromada. It's been a while since I've read it, but I think she has info. in there on having twins when there are already small children in the house. If not, it's an invaluable book that you should be reading anyway.
#5 of 10 Old 04-25-2005, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

ElliesMom,
I am also expecting two boys, my 3 year old's name is Elijah bd 2-17-02, it's like were living in parallel universes! Would love to keep in contact.
#6 of 10 Old 04-26-2005, 03:55 AM

Seconding the recommendation to get Karen Gromada's book. Here are the details:

Mothering Multiples by Karen Kerkhoff Gromada, published by LLL, rev. ed. 1999. It is packed full of info including lots and lots on what to do when you have older children too (her twins were numbers 4 and 5 in her family).

Also check out her website at www.karengromada.com. The fun part is the photos section of course, but the site has a great FAQs section and also a link to buy the book.

Congrats and welcome!

(Off topic: Do you have the book When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets or Quads by Dr. Barbara Luke and Tamara Eberlein yet? It's a great source of info on twin pregnancy. Very hospital-birth oriented and I know many here are definitely not, but it has the best info anywhere on nutrition and exercise in multiple pregnancy and also gives you the heads-up on just about anything that could possibly happen in a twin pregnancy. Also check out her website at www.drbarbaraluke.com. I used her nutritional service and it was worth ten times the price.)
#7 of 10 Old 04-26-2005, 04:49 PM

I'm Diana, and I'm also expecting boy/girl twins in September. I have a 5 year old and a soon-to be 3 year old, both girls. I'm really worried about not having enough time for them when the babies come. I'll keep an eye out for that book, maybe they have it at the library. Nice to meet you!
#8 of 10 Old 04-27-2005, 12:37 AM

No advice, but I am also expecting twin boys in Sept! I also have a 2 year old already and have no idea how I will possibly have time for him while taking care of 2 babies. I have been feeling guilty about the lack of time I will be able to spend with him once the babies are here. I also don't know how I will get through the rest of this pregnancy. It has been a very hard one and I think it will just get harder. It was good to meet you, I look forward to seeing around here!
#9 of 10 Old 04-27-2005, 02:07 AM

How bizarre there are suddenly so many of you expecting twins in the same month! Congratulations!!

I was due with my twins last September, but they came toward the end of August. My son was 5 when they were born, and turned 6 four days later.

I haven't had as much time to spend with him, but it's OK. He needs that time to develop relationships with his new little siblings, and his daddy. Our culture has forgotten how families were designed to work - with multiple children, and Mom dividing her love and time between them all. Everyone learning to spread their love around. The more you give it, the more you have to give!! Be thankful your little firstborns won't live the selfish single-child life that so many kids live in our culture today. My son is on the brink of selfish imp, having such a wide space before we were blessed with siblings for him.

And I'm thankful that I get to home school him, so that we have that time together during the day. I'm sure if he were leaving for school each day we really would be feeling like we didn't get to spend enough time together.

... by the way, be sure to check out "Having Twins, Triplets and More" ... not by Barbara Luke. I can't remember the author's name off hand, but it had quite a bit of AP stuff in there, even mentioning CD, BF and home birthing twins! Great book. I remember -- it's by Elizabeth Noble.
#10 of 10 Old 05-02-2005, 12:39 AM

Honamama: That is too funny! My Ellie is an Elizabeth, so we differ on the gender of dc#1, but it's otherwise uncanny!

We have actually enrolled Ellie in preschool from 9-3 every day starting in the fall. I wish it started earlier so there would be no chance she would connect the birth of her brothers to being sent to school. She has been in daycare in the past (I was a wohm until December) and she really enjoys it. We are moving in 6 weeks (oy...lots of changes) and the university where dh is working has an awesome, affordable nursery school on campus. Dh will even be able to walk over and have lunch with her a couple of days a week. We went house hunting in our new city last week and spend a couple of hours at the school and she was so excited.

I have a fair amount of guilt about having dd in care when I will be a sahm, but it feels like the right thing to do. I had PPD after Ellie was born, and I am trying to set things up so that life is as doable as possible. Then all of my kids will have a better mom. Once we get in a routine, we may change to half-days.

Trying to get my bearings...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page