One of my girls has a yeast infection - any remedy ideas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-10-2005, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
UGH! My poor Angelena has been battling this yeast infection that started after taking antibiotics 1 1/2 mos ago!! I've never had one but I can bet she is in much discomfort.

The doc prescribed Nystatin. I also been giving her lots of yogurt. I even put some directly on her bottom but that didn't help. I take her diaper off to get some air daily. And have been using a herbal diaper rash cream too.

It's gotten better but then bad again. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-10-2005, 10:47 PM

Ugh, Carmella....we struggled with yeast rashes so many times during their first year and a half. I remember that I would change their diaper and think "Hmmm...she looks a little red" and an hour later when she was changed again she'd be flaming red and have raw spots. It was horrible!!!

I talked to a pharmacist (who is a friend's dh) who said that I could put any yeast infection cream on their bums as long as it was the 7 day kind...nothing more concentrated then that. I had a routine down. I would change their bums and let it air dry. Then I'd slather them with the cream and let that dry a bit too. Then I would put a layer of Aquaphor (sp?) on top of that to "seal" the cream in. I recommend that you continue to use the cream 2 weeks after the symptoms are gone. Yeast is some nasty stuff!!

You can also try giving them probiotics daily to help prevent the rash from happening. Read more here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ng-thrush.html

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#3 of 10 Old 05-11-2005, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Karen for the help! What is in Aquaphor and where do I get it?
#4 of 10 Old 05-13-2005, 10:28 AM

cut all yeast producing froods from her diet, except breastmilk and if you are still nursing in your diet as well (sugar, grains, dairy) and give her lots of fruits, veggies and protein as needed. and if you ARE nursing her get garlic into your diet. my kids LOVE garlic but if yours aren't used to it, you'd have to be creative to get it in hers in such a short time.

give her a primodopholis (cant spell this am) or an acidophilos to restore the good bacteria in her gut. nature's way makes one in powdered form. she needs a probiotic esp after antibiotics
#5 of 10 Old 05-13-2005, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmilkmama
What is in Aquaphor and where do I get it?
Our tube was empty and I threw it out so I don't know the ingredients. It's kind of like a vaseline texture but not nearly as greasy and I believe it's water based and not pertroleum based which is better. I got a sample from the hospital when I had Lillie and Faith and really liked it so I bought a tube at Wal-Mart. I'm sure it's sold in most pharmacy's or places like Wal-Mart, KMart, Target, etc.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#6 of 10 Old 05-14-2005, 10:38 AM

If you are using cloth dipes be sure that you are sanitizing them. As over at the diaper forum how to do it safely.
#7 of 10 Old 05-17-2005, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmamacita
cut all yeast producing froods from her diet, except breastmilk and if you are still nursing in your diet as well (sugar, grains, dairy) and give her lots of fruits, veggies and protein as needed. and if you ARE nursing her get garlic into your diet. my kids LOVE garlic but if yours aren't used to it, you'd have to be creative to get it in hers in such a short time.

give her a primodopholis (cant spell this am) or an acidophilos to restore the good bacteria in her gut. nature's way makes one in powdered form. she needs a probiotic esp after antibiotics
So cut out the yogurt too? That is dairy but also has the live cultures in it to battle yeast.

Yes I am bf'ing. I'll cut sugar, grains and dairy from OUR diets. So garlic kills yeast, huh? I will have to get creative with that. Hmmm.

Poor thing was up crying all night last night. Btwn her bottom and her teeth coming in she is miserable. I just held her all night with her bottom bare till about 5:30a then dh took over for a bit till we had to get up for work. She didn't even want to nurse she was so miserable...and she NEVER doesn't want to nurse!
#8 of 10 Old 05-25-2005, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to thank you guys as the yeast infection is almost gone!!

I used all your advice about 'sealing' with cream, changing both our diets, and I added garlic and a probiotic/acidophilos (sp) combo. I crush up half a tablet of a garlic tablet and the probiotic/acidophilos tablet and mix it in her food. Last night both Josie and Lena got lots of garlic from the tablet and some garlic hummus. After that they truly smelled like little Italian girls! :LOL

Anyway thanks again!
#9 of 10 Old 07-06-2005, 10:27 PM

glad its cleared up but just wanted to chime in about what worked for us in case its helpful to anyone else. Culturelle is a really superior probiotic (recommended to us by ped. naturopath, Mary Bove). you can get it in some drug stores, it doesn't require refridgeration, comes in capsules which you can open and I would dip my clean finger first in baby's mouth, then the powder and she would eat it off my finger (tastes sweet). you can give them a whole capsule once a day.

also topically, strange as it sounds, over the counter athlete's foot cream, lotrimin F I think, is specifically what was recommended to me (but any would work I think), right in the vagina, was what my friend, a nurse, recommended and it worked like a miracle. yeast went away quickly and never came back.

also, you can get Culturelle from the company website and CVS is the drugstore here in NC which carries it...
#10 of 10 Old 07-12-2005, 03:37 AM

The refrigerated probiotic capsules made into paste and gentian violet cured ours in 3 days.

Love that stuff.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page