Twins and sleeping issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-17-2005, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We cosleep with 17mth b/g twins. She is a daddys girl and sleeps cuddled next to him. He is my big boy and sleeps next to me so he can nurse. She has not nursed for a few months now. The last week bedtime has been a pain. Literaly. They kick eachother, flop around on the bed as if someone has pricked them with pins, scream at us, arch his back and cry tears. She wants me, he wants me. Then I hold them both and they scream. It becomes a complete battle of the patience and will power monster. It takes us well past 2am to get them to sleep at nights. This was not how it always was. They use to sleep like angels and very easily. Crawling into bed ment sleep. Now Im dead tired and Dad is cranky!

Any ideas? Are they ready for thier own beds? Should we keep them apart at night and see if that works? Any ideas would be taken and used if appropriate. :LOL
#2 of 7 Old 05-17-2005, 05:12 PM

Wow, that sounds frustrating & puzzling!

My b/g twins are 15 months & co-sleep w/us if they wake up during the night (which my son almost always does, daughter usually does). But we put them down in their own cribs at night, in part to help them get used to sleeping on their own, and in part out of an optimistic belief that someday, some how they'll actually sleep through the night!

Lately it seems like they've been tossing & turning more. My theory is that it's teething, growing pains, or discomfort brought on by my introducing cow's milk (gotta get them off formula someday!). So it's tylenol, massages, and no more cow's milk around here.

It's not a perfect solution. There are nights when they still kick and toss.

The other thing is, sometimes they're looking to snuggle & that helps. Having room to spread around just encourages their movement.
#3 of 7 Old 05-18-2005, 12:31 PM

I do not have twins yet (I am due in Sept) but we went through this with ds around that age also. He would go to sleep alright, but toss and turn and kick and wake up all night, he was pretty much attached at the boob all night. We finally got him a regular twin bed and the 1st night he slept the entire night. I was really worried about him sleeping in the other room even though it is only about 5 steps from our bed to his, but it went really well. He usually comes to bed with us after he wakes up. I sometimes fall asleep while putting him to sleep and stay in his room for a little while. We got a twin bed instead of a toddler bed or crib so we could lay with him. It would be very different putting 2 to bed at the same time, maybe you could get a full sized be and they could sleep together? You could lay in the middle with them when they need it and then sneek out once they are asleep. Good luck finding something that works for all of you, lack of sleep is so hard on the whole family.
#4 of 7 Old 05-18-2005, 05:27 PM

My youngest dd has been doing that lately - I've figured out that it means she wants her own space. She will fall asleep with me, but wake up and start fussing and rolling around. If I lay her in her crib she settles right down. So maybe it's worth seeing if they want their own beds.
#5 of 7 Old 05-18-2005, 11:35 PM

We coslept until we nightweaned around 18 mo, then I decided to try putting them in their own room (have always nursed them to sleep in the family room & then carried them upstairs, so figured could carry them to their room as easily as ours) & it worked fine so we went with it. It sounds like you're putting them down awake, which we haven't tried yet, so not any real help with that, but I have found that anytime my girls start taking forever to nurse down, it's time to tweak the nap schedule. I don't remember exactly, but sometime relatively soon after 12 mo (I'd say within a couple months), I was having a horrible time nursing them down, took forever, really wiggly, etc.) I cut out their morning nap & moved their afternoon nap earlier and they went back to nursing right down at night. Since then we've had a couple times when they start taking longer to nurse down & I can usually "solve" it by making sure their naps are never longer than x amount of time (current limit is 2 hrs, but I think we probably need to scale that back again, honestly I think we're within a few months of getting rid of naps all together) &/or never letting them nap after a certain time, even if it means a short/no nap that day (currently 4:00, but even that is late, if they nap that late I can count on them going to sleep later than usual that night).

So, I'd start by looking at total sleep time & tweaking naps as needed to help w/ nighttime sleep.

My only other advice is, other than when the girls were itty bitty, they've never slept next to each other, always on opposite sides of me (well, for most of our cosleeping time, dh spent at least part of the night sleeping in the recliner portion of our sofa holding one baby (not always the same one) so then I just had one baby in bed with me, but if we were all in the same bed we had them on either side of me. When we nightweaned (so there was no longer a need to have them on either side of me) we started putting them next to each other but put a pillow between so they wouldn't roll on top of each other. They're both very restless sleepers so I can't see how they could help but wake each other up if they were right next to each other. So maybe look into that possibility as well.
#6 of 7 Old 05-24-2005, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerMom
Wow, that sounds frustrating & puzzling!

My b/g twins are 15 months & co-sleep w/us if they wake up during the night (which my son almost always does, daughter usually does). But we put them down in their own cribs at night, in part to help them get used to sleeping on their own, and in part out of an optimistic belief that someday, some how they'll actually sleep through the night!

I have tried to put one in the crib and they want nothing to do with it. Lately one has been falling asleep around 2am, the othe has me up till 3 or 4. Nothing has changed, just thier getting older.
#7 of 7 Old 05-24-2005, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by faythe
My youngest dd has been doing that lately - I've figured out that it means she wants her own space. She will fall asleep with me, but wake up and start fussing and rolling around. If I lay her in her crib she settles right down. So maybe it's worth seeing if they want their own beds.

The twins are such opposite. Emaly screams if Dad gets out of bed to just go to the bathroom. Jack keeps throwing himself around to move Emaly over so he can have me all to himself. Its a true battle at night now. When we try to put them in the crib they scream at us and I just cant take that. We have had a few nights with one falling asleep with big brother and the other just curling up to us. I wonder if its just that they dont want to be by eachother??

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page