New here... introduction (m) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2005, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all...

I'm Vicky, happy AP mama to 13 month old Denali, and now expecting twins due in December. I've been browsing the 'net looking for advice on twins, but finding only very mainstream advice out there (strange, since I had no problem finding AP-friendly sites for singleton moms). Practically got flamed on a board today for asking about slinging twins and not buying infant carriers (baby buckets), bouncy seats, swings, cribs, etc.!

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. I've already gotten some great slinging twins ideas (and other ideas) from browsing this board, and I'm sure I'll have many questions to ask between now and December (or, more likely, November) when these two arrive.

Vicky
Mama to Denali Rayne
Mama-to-Be to Babies #2 and #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2005, 10:33 PM

Hi and welcome! Two recommendations real quick:

1. Get Mothering Multiples by Karen Kerkhoff Gromada. Also check out her website at www.karengromada.com. This book is a lifesaver and has lots of tips. The website has a photos section which is awesome and at least one of our moms from this forum is featured there. This is an LLL book so you know you can trust the content.

2. Pregnancy books worth getting: When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets or Quads by Dr. Barbara Luke and Tamara Eberlein (also Dr. Luke's website at www.drbarbaraluke.com). Make sure to get the current edition, which includes recipes. Many on this forum credit Dr. Luke's nutritional information with the success of our pregnancies. Also a classic, Elizabeth Noble's Having Twins, recently out in a new edition (but I read the one from 1984 and loved that one too).

Regarding gear, everyone has different solutions. We ended up using some gear and discarding some. In almost every case we had things donated to us by friends, so buying this stuff in advance is not worth it unless you know no one with children. :LOL Scan this forum for ideas on not just slinging twins but finding slings for twins (I don't have that sling so can't refer you directly but there are both links and photos here on this forum).

It's a bummer you got flamed elsewhere. Hang out here. You're going to do great. Twins respond very well to AP. They are people like everyone else, LOL.

Welcome! Eat and rest, eat and rest, eat and rest! Congrats on your pregnancy!
Old 05-19-2005, 10:55 AM

Welcome! www.thebabywearer.com has a forum for twins & multiples where you can get lots of ideas for slinging twins. There's also an article there that I wrote about slinging twins when mine were about 5 mo old (I need to write an updated one now that my twins are older, just haven't had time).

As far as "gear" I found it useful to help entertain one baby when I had to do something to help the other one, but was VERY glad that we'd been able to borrow the vast majority of it (& got the rest as gifts). since it's summer I'd recommend watching yardsales for all the different "baby entertainers" & grab up whatever you can get cheap then you can see what works best for your babies the things we used most were doorway jumpers (from the first mine wanted to be standing so even before they could jump that was a way that they could both stand whereas I couldn't hold them both to stand at the same time cuz they were too floppy) & portable swings (had them in our bathroom & the girls played/slept in them while I took showers every day until they started trying to climb out of them).
Old 05-19-2005, 12:03 PM

Hi Vicky!

I had the same experience - I kept posting on babycenter & fighting w/all the twin moms there (except for johub, you'll see her around here sometimes - and she did sling her twins, she posted pix). The constant discussion of scheduling was my main bugaboo, and the insistence on CIO. One woman talked about wearing headphones so she didn't have to hear her babies crying! Pissed me the heck off. Duh on me, I finally left.

Yes, you can AP twins - we responded when they cried. Simple as all get out. There were times when one had to wait, but that's life. We also had family in to visit frequently, that really helped - we'd all just sit around cuddling babies. Well, until there were enough people that I wasn't needed - then I'd get the heck out of there for a few minutes' break!

My twins were my first kids & my family is really mainstream, so I did have a lot of the gear. We live in an apt. so the baby buckets were imperative for getting to & from the car. Getting them out of the house beginning at an early age, for walks etc, really helped me & they love to travel now, so I'm glad we did it.

My dd liked the swing sometimes (ds hated it), the bouncy chair was useful when I first started feeding solids, and I did have two gyminis, they loved playing w/the dangling toys. I also started using exersaucers (not that brand, the older Graco version was better) as soon as they started sitting up a little at about 4 months, and got rid of them as soon as they started crawling.

Good luck to you! Hope your pregnancy is pleasant and uneventful! I second Amy's recommendation - get Barbara Lukes' book on twin pregnancy - it really helped me carry mine to 38w 5d.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:06 PM

Can I jump in on your introduction and introduce myself too??

I'm Sarah, pregnant with twins due in December as well and I might as well have written your exact post! Although, I have a daughter who is now 23 months and I haven't bothered looking for AP twin info anywhere other than here...I had a feeling I wouldn't have much luck!

I'm really interested in checking out the books and websites that have been mentioned in the previous posts and reading about and getting advice on breastfeeding 2, slinging 2 and cd'ing 2!
Old 05-19-2005, 08:23 PM

Hi all:

I am 24 weeks pregnant with twins and did manage to find a yahoo group called apmultiples where there are a lot of women who are ap-minded and dealing with the joys and logistical challenges of having two babies to parent at the same time! http://groups.yahoo.com/group/apmultiples/

I haven't been very active with the board yet but have asked a few general questions of the group and got back a slew of thoughtful responses/shared experiences.

So glad also that mothering has this parenting multiples board for us to visit with one another and share ideas and experiences.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:49 PM

X

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)

User Tag List