infant potty training questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-30-2005, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello our twins are almost 3 months old. My husband and I started the elimination method 10 days ago. We r wondering if any one knows of other twins on this method. We have more challenges deciding whom to potty at the moment when both are fussing. I'd love to hear from them!

A few general questions --- Right now (since our sudden decision to do this was so sudden...)we are using disposables with cloth inside them and changing them as soon as they pee-if we miss it. Should we be expecting to have them wear diapers until they can sign? Months? 7-8? If so has anyone tried the little brief diapers that will only hold one pee? Or do you use cloth.

Our little girl spends forever with little poos does this change? The multiple poos to one time over and done with?

We have done a few trips out of the house. I have them in disposables and dont change them very often. Should I be more on it? Does it matter to have part of the day off the method.

Thanks for your thoughts and wisdom.
:
#2 of 3 Old 06-01-2005, 09:55 AM

You'll probably have more luck getting help in the elimination communication forum, but here's to you for attempting to do EC with twins! I know that laralou was doing it with her twins at some point, so maybe PM her if she doesn't respond to this thread.

I WANTED to do it, but there was just no way. Being alone all day with twin babies was enough for me to think about! We used cloth, and I tried to catch as many pees as I could (usually right after naps) until they started crawling, at which point I totally gave up. Then around 15 months, I felt like "hey, maybe this is something I could do. . . " but I think my twins were really too old to really be EC'd at that point. We did start talking about pee and poop all the time with them, and got them some little potties, and gave them as much naked time as we could.

One of them self-potty-trained at 25 months, and the other just started yesterday, at 27 months. So I think they will be out of diapers sooner than they would have been if we hadn't been having so many conversations about elimination for so long.

I'm curious as to why you're using cloth inside a disposable? That seems like all the work of cloth with the downside of still filling the landfills and the expense of disposables. . . have you considered just using cloth?

Congrats on the birth of your twins, and welcome to MDC!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#3 of 3 Old 06-03-2005, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! At first I only planned on doing the method with our girl twin. My husband decided after reading the book that it made perfect sense and started working with our boy too. My husband is fully involved and available through most of the day so the method is possible for us. Both Jed and I noticed how Isaiah is happier peeing freely. It is funny but true.

We did such a fast transition to cloth that I am still scrambling to get it down. Currently I have a sewing project in the works to make some nylon diaper covers. that way we will know when they wet the cloth quickly and can change them.

Our older son also taught himself to potty train. I think it had to do with all the potty discussion he heard among the adults and that he could run naked. We are just introducing underwear after 6 months of bare bottoms! Good luck and thanks for your input. There are two twins on the EC in the EC arcives. I plan on reading abt. their experiences.

Aloha

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page