Did anyone have their twins at home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 06-21-2005, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you did have them at home, how did it go? What possitions were they in? Who was there with you? How fast did they come (length of labor & time between babies)?

I really want to do a home birth, but there is just not a midwife close enough to me that delivers twins. I don't think I am comfortable doing a UC birth with twins, but if the babies come really fast I probably will not make it to the hospital. I am just curious what other peoples experience is with this.\

Thanks, Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 40 Old 06-21-2005, 01:54 PM

Not to be a party pooper, but I suspect the lack of midwifery is b/c twin births (and pregnancies) are high risk. I had a C-section at 38w 5d, my twins were both breech & I had developed dangerously high blood pressure and gestational diabetes (which was mild and easily managed).

Perhaps if you're 25 and in perfect health with a perfect pregnancy, home birthing might be an option. Personally I wouldn't risk it.
#3 of 40 Old 06-21-2005, 02:53 PM

Bah. Twins are not high risk usually unless ob procedures make them high risk. Bumping this up as I know there are moms here who had twin homebirths. My midwife had her twins at home unassisted over 20 years ago

-Angela
#4 of 40 Old 06-21-2005, 03:08 PM

Which OB procedures?
#5 of 40 Old 06-21-2005, 03:19 PM

The biggest "risk" in multiple birth is prematurity. Many OBs won't "let" twin pregnancies go past 37 weeks. Many schedule sections earlier.

sorry so short. wrestling babe

-Angela
#6 of 40 Old 06-21-2005, 04:16 PM

That's a shame, I'm sorry to hear it.

My OB wasn't in any particular hurry to deliver mine, and definitely didn't feel it was necessary to take them at 37w. If I hadn't developed high BP, he wouldn't have scheduled me at 38w 5d.

My son did have a few problems at delivery, I was glad to be in a hospital. Not that it made BFeeding easier (although they tried).
#7 of 40 Old 06-21-2005, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerMom
Perhaps if you're 25 and in perfect health with a perfect pregnancy, home birthing might be an option. Personally I wouldn't risk it.
I actually just turned 26 and am in great health and over all have had a good pregnancy. My blood pressure is always on the low side and no gestational diabetes or anything like that. I had ds at home and he was 10lb 5oz so I am confident that I can birth the babies just fine. They are both head down at the moment also, so that helps too.
#8 of 40 Old 06-22-2005, 05:08 PM

In my city, I was able to find only one MW who was willing to take me on as a patient... she'd been a MW for over 20 years and I was her first twin mom. In the end, I decided I couldn't be someones learning curve.

I have 4 yo b/g twins and I'm currently pg with my 2nd set -- due any time now. My first deliver was textbook. Both were head down, both were born within 2 minutes of beginning to push, apgars of 8/9 for each.

This pg, the girl keeps flipping breech, back to head down, back to breech again.

Do you have more "risks" with a twin pregnancy? Well... yes, you have two babies, once one baby is birthed, there ARE things that COULD happen. I wouldn't necessarily say a twin pregnancy is automatically "high risk" however, there are additional things you have to be watchful for.

But, with all that said, if I could have found a MW who was EXPERIENCED with twin births, I would have hired her instead of going with an OB.

In the end, I really just want two healthy babies. Yes, their birth is important to me, but not as important as it is to bringing them both home iwth me safe and sound -- JMHO.

Nancy
mama to Emily and Nathan 7/14/01
EDD 7/12/05 with b/g twins
(no family history, no fertility drugs either )
#9 of 40 Old 06-23-2005, 02:32 PM

I did, but none of us knew it was twins. I sometimes think that all the negativity and doubts surrounding birthing twins is in itself a risk.

My labor lasted 5 hours total. Baby #2 came 9 minutes after #1. I had no pregnancy problems and delivered 1 day before due date. sorry gotta go.
Mary
#10 of 40 Old 06-23-2005, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know hotmamacita homebirthed (breech!) twins. Maybe you could PM her.
#11 of 40 Old 06-23-2005, 02:42 PM

double post, sorry!
#12 of 40 Old 06-23-2005, 02:42 PM

Oh, and you should read, "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth," by Ina May Gaskin, who has delivered thousands of babies at home. She does not believe that twins are high risk and they do not send people having twins to the hospital -- they have homebirths as well.
#13 of 40 Old 06-26-2005, 07:03 PM

I had my girls at home at 40 weeks 3 days. labor was 6 hours long with a 32 minute break in between. A good friend of mine also gave birth to her twins at home her labor was fast only about an hour and a half. There are elevated risksof hemmorage but kelp, and other supplements can reduce the risks. In the hospital you are very likely to be sectioned, some hospitals it's almost a garuntee. I would get an Ultra sound around 30 weeks to determine size and organ developement and position. Breech birth is the most common variable, so rather than find midwives with twin experience ( almost impossible in todays world) I would ask about their breech experience. Rwatch your blood pressure for sure, but I was able to moniter mine at the local drugstore. Eat lots of small high protein, iron rich foods, read Elizabeth Noble's having Twins, and exercise as you are able. I delivered in a sqatting position for the first, and hands and knees for the second who was born in the caul. The writer Sheila Kitzinger delivered her twins at home. Congratulations, twins are crazy fun.

homebirthing,,homeschooling intactalactivist mom to 3dd jumpers.gifand 2dsbouncy.gif.babyf.gifAlways busy
#14 of 40 Old 06-27-2005, 12:25 AM

i birthed my twins at home this last january. It was an amazing, empowering birth. they were both vertex. i was healthy, BP was starting to rise towards the end, but it never got too high. my labor was 17 hours all together (first babies). babies heart rates were perfect the whole time. apgars were 9/10 and 10/10. they were born 1 hour and 12 minutes apart. I had i midwife who did not have a lot of experience (she'd done them only in the hospital) but whom i trusted immesely. Best of luck. Twins are amazing.
Eliza

Married to my love, mama to twin boys J&O (6), and expecting # 3 this December!
#15 of 40 Old 06-27-2005, 01:06 PM

I would have HAPPILY had a homebirth with my twins had I been able to find a midwife (any midwife!) willing to take me on. As it was, I ended up using an OB and planned to deliver at the local hospital. Their procedure for twin births was that the mom had to be lying on her back on an operating table in the operating room for the delivery. They strongly encouraged an epidural and there would be an anesthesiologist present. I was so freaked out about the idea of being so confined. . . not only in the hospital, but lying on my back on a hard skinny table?! I think my fear is what caused my babies to be breech (or at least, my fear contributed to it). Then, when they were both breech, I couldn't find anyone who would assist me in a vaginal delivery period. I fantasized about just waiting until the last minute and showing up at the hospital with one baby basically coming out. . . but of course that was unrealistic and in the end my fear took over and I had a scheduled section at 38 weeks, 2 days. My babies were both born pink and healthy, and weighed 8-7 and 6-4. I was 22 years old and in great health, no high bp, nothing. If I were in the same situation again (pregnant with twins and still living here), I'd go to The Farm and have the midwives there assist me.

I am still dealing with the trauma of the c-section.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#16 of 40 Old 06-27-2005, 02:37 PM

Iam so sorry for your pain lexbeach and all you twin mommas who had sections because it's standard. At our local hospital we had the same proticals I actually had a CNM at the oldest and largest ob clinics tell me that the doctors were not trained to deliver breech or to deliver in any position other than lithomy. I was also told if we had gone ther I would not have been able to even labor upright. All that brings on the cascade effect in the hospital. I was lucky to find midwives willing to help. Don't really know what I would have done otherwise.

homebirthing,,homeschooling intactalactivist mom to 3dd jumpers.gifand 2dsbouncy.gif.babyf.gifAlways busy
#17 of 40 Old 06-27-2005, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input ladies. It is so nice to hear more stories of twins being born naturally. I realize there are more risks to a twin birth, but I jsut don't see the need to have them in the operating room with 10 people that I do not know there waiting for something to go wrong.

lexbeach - I am so sorry about your birthing experience, that is exactly what I want to avoid. The fears they put into us about things going wrong just causes them to go wrong and I don't want that to happen. I am glad your babies came out so healthy though. That is kind of a big weight difference, your OB wasn't worried about that durring your pregnancy?
#18 of 40 Old 06-28-2005, 09:04 AM
kir

I was coming to this forum to ask a similar question!!

I am just about to reach 16 weeks now, and i've suddenly started panicking about the birth. My OB assured me that she takes twin births on a case-by-case basis and won't force a c-section....but i know how things go. And I know that a lot of docs are just scared in twin pregnancies, don't know a lot of advice to prevent problems, only look for problems then treat them...etc. etc.

I don't think homebirthing is an option here (unless we go totally unassisted, and i'm too inexperienced/scared for that). So I'm hoping for the least invasive, least depersonalised hospital/birthing center option. I'm so scared about a c-section, so scared about not being in control and having me and DH cut off from our twins right when they're first born

I guess my question is less about homebirth, then, and more about people who birthed somewhat naturally and were happy with having done that, whatever the setting.

I'm just really overwhelmed about it right now. I was literally crying about this the other night. i've never even been to the hospital for anything before! I don't want to start with this!

Love to hear lots more of these good birth stories....

(BTW, I don't mean to say that a c-section birth story is not good....but so often it's presented as the only option to twin moms, and that's what scares me, b/c it just can't really be true...)

K
#19 of 40 Old 06-28-2005, 05:26 PM

why isn't homebirth an option? Are you talking legalities? I used three unliscensed midwives. In my state it is illegal for liscensed mw to deliver twins, but my ladies had all given up their s because of all the regulations that they felt were prohibiting them from practicing midwifery as they believed it should be practiced. They had 17 of their own hbirthed children between them and over 40 years combined experience. I would imagine that if you asked around there are word of mouth mw in your area who would be willing to help you. Ask ladies wearing slings and obviously religious women with lots of kids. Yes those are both generalizations, but I've discovered that these "types" of women tend to not stay in the mainstream(myserlf included) for whatever reason. I hope no one takes offense but this is actually how I found my midwives.... by asking any and all likely candidates. good luckand congratulations

#20 of 40 Old 07-02-2005, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

I found a midwife that will do it! She lives about 5 hours away, which seems kind of far, but she is fine with the distance. I am so excited to be planning another home birth again. After having my 1st at home, I just could not see going to the hospital to have a baby much less two of them. Thank you for your hb stories, it really encouraged me to put more effort into finding someone that was willing to be here with me.
#21 of 40 Old 07-02-2005, 12:28 PM

That's wonderful! I'm thrilled for you. When I was looking for a mw for my dd's birth twins was one of my questions because we have them all over the family. I am much less worried about it after I found the midwife we ended up with. I think homebirth is the only way to go! Especially with twins!
(since around here the other choice is in an OR : )

-Angela
#22 of 40 Old 07-02-2005, 01:43 PM

I haven't had time to read replies and I know it works for people but I wanted to add my experience (hospital birth). My boys were in a wonderful position for vaginal birth--baby A was head down and engaged at a +3. Baby b was (according to ultrasound) smaller and also head down. Perfect. My ob was confident that a vaginal birth was going to go well. She NEVER recommended a C section just because they were twins--even before we knew the final position. She wanted me to have a vaginal birth as much as I wanted it.

Caleb (baby A) ended up in distress during pushing. We had a section and he had to be recusitated/CPR and oxygen. I believe now that he was in a process of decline before labor started due to the placenta. Andrew (baby B) ended up being over a lb. bigger unexpectedly, which isn't ideal. I am thankful I was in a hospital. I understand a desire for a home environment but I have to be honest in saying that I was so thankful we were in a hospital and I cannot recommend home birth with multiples.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#23 of 40 Old 07-07-2005, 07:59 PM

I had planned on a home birth for our boys. I did a ton of research and felt good about doing so. Unfortunately, I hemorraged quite a bit after baby #1 was born and baby #2 was not coming along. My blood pressure got quite low and we all made the decision to transfer to the hospital. I had 4 midwives and one doula attending our home birth. Patrick was born at the hospital pretty quickly w/ the help of a little pitocin which I consented to because my midwife said it would help w/ any more hemmoraging and because i may have ended up w/ a c-section if he was not born soon. The space between them was 4 hours.

Despite these complications, I would do a homebirth w/ twins again. My hospital experience wasn't horrible, but it definitely was not what I wanted.

I'll try to post more later.
lisa
#24 of 40 Old 07-07-2005, 11:00 PM

Home birthing twins if you are healthy and term sounds awesome to me. I have met so many moms out in my area who had horrible births with their twins. Most women complain about forced epidurals and no rest given in between babies. Midwives aren't allowed to do homebirths with twins in my province so no one up here got that pleasure.
#25 of 40 Old 07-10-2005, 01:43 AM

YEs, I homebirthed my twins. I went 40 weeks 2 days. I had big babies well over 8 pounds each. The first one was frank breech and the second one came an hour and 20 minutes later via footling breech position.

I read Anne Frye's section on twins and nutrition in HOlistic Midwifery and did not stray from it.

The concern with twins is preterm labor. Preterm labor can occur b/c of loss of blood volume beginning at about 28 weeks. So diet is EXTREMELY important IMO.

Personally, I do not think twins are high risk just on the nature of a multiple birth. I tend to disagree with the direction that obstetrics (which actually means the practice of midwifery) in our country has gone in.

IF you can, get the video from the Farm on twins. Read HOlisitic Midwifery's section on twins and E. Noble has a book on twins which is great. Read, get medical counsel and see what direction you want to go in.

What part of the country are you in btw?
#26 of 40 Old 07-10-2005, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahloughmiller
I found a midwife that will do it! She lives about 5 hours away, which seems kind of far, but she is fine with the distance. I am so excited to be planning another home birth again. After having my 1st at home, I just could not see going to the hospital to have a baby much less two of them. Thank you for your hb stories, it really encouraged me to put more effort into finding someone that was willing to be here with me.

Cool. I hadn't read this yet when I posted above.

My midwife was about 4 hours away, btw.
#27 of 40 Old 07-10-2005, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

hotmamacita - Thanks for sharing with me, it is so nice to hear natural birth stories when most of what I hear is c-section stories. I have seen the video from The Farm and read Noble's book, I will have to see if I can find Holistic Midwifery. The midwife that I found also has a video of a UC twin birth that she said I can borrow. Did you meet you mw before the birth? I will not be meeting mine because I just really don't want the drive. I have been really trying to eat really well, I was really sick in the begining and have not been feeling good lately so it has been hard. I think most days I get plenty of protein, but some days I do fall behind. It has been really hard to get any rest with a 2 yo so I am really tired most of the time. My iron level has dropped down to 10.6 also, which may have something to do with being so tired lately. I am in California, btw.
#28 of 40 Old 07-10-2005, 06:15 PM

Oh, I feel for you.

Okay, look. Make up some hard boiled eggs and keep them in a bowl in the fridge. Chop up some cheese or turkey (highest in protein of the basic cooked meats) and put them in a bowl as well. Everytime you open that fridge, eat a little bit of protein.

If you can stand pate, buy it and eat it. I love it actually. It will help your iron too.

I took yellowdock everyday. It is some nasty tasting stuff. A friend wildcrafted it for me and I am glad she did. It kept my iron levels up and I didn't have to buy a ton of floradix (which will help too with iron).

In the middle of the night, when you pee, go and eat protein or drink a protein shake but DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES buy protein mix with ANY, i repeat, ANY sugar in it. WHole FOods has a soy protein mix without any sugar in it. Its their label and about 10 bucks. I mixed it with Organic milk.

I am not a big milk or red meat person but I consumed in during the twin pregnancy. I'd buy organic beef tips and saute them up with garlic and eat them for breakfast with a side of kale (lightly sauted with balsamic vinegar) Or ground beef or a bowl of ground turkey.

I started getting 120 grams of protein a day but didn't really feel that great so I upped it to 150 and found that was exactly what I needed to feel good everyday.

Get that protein in all day and all night long. It will make a difference. Try getting some yellowdock tincture and taking some daily. Get that iron in too anyway you can but make sure it is absorbable and do not slack on that water.

DOn't be overwhelmed okay? once you find the routine and amount that is right for you, you will start to feel great and won't even notice how much protein you are acually consuming.

When my twins placentas arrived, my midwife said "These are the healthiest placentas I have ever seen in my entire time as a midwife..and they are from a twin pregnancy to boot." She said that my nutrition made all the difference in the world in that pregnancy and birth.

NOt to sound like a broken record...but seriously...NO sugar, okay?

Oh and I hear you on the tired thing. When my twins were born I had an 18 mo and a 4 yo. Chamomile tea is a great calming tea for toddlers. I would give it to them as their liquid from about 4pm until bedtime and give them a lavender bath to help them calm down.
#29 of 40 Old 09-03-2005, 05:30 PM

We had our munchkins at home. We did find a lay midwife in the final weeks of my pregnancy but she didn't make it in time and that was always a possibility we were aware of because my labors in the past had been pretty quick. Our birth story is posted here somewhere..."Psalm & Zoya." Or do an online search.
#30 of 40 Old 09-03-2005, 06:51 PM

Mindy,
I have seen your homebirth! A bradley instructor shared it with me! I was just so jealous!

I wanted to have a homebirth with my twins. In my state licensed midwives are not allowed to attend twins at home. And unlicsensed midwives dont carry ads in the yellow pages!
Anyway, I had a midwife and a hospital birth.
But like the OP. I kind just kept hoping it would go so fast and I would have an uac. I was prepared to go UA. My babies were head down/head down.
I really didnt want to go to the hospital.
In the end I didnt have a quick labor. I didnt even go into labor on my own. And agreed to an induction at 40 weeks 1 day.
Anyhow, when I saw your birth I was so inspired it was so beautiful and it was exactly how I had envisioned mine. (even the squatting in front of the toilet part)
Beautiful.
I just wanted you to know that your experience is getting "out there" and is inspiring women.
JOline

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page