Book reccomendations for newly preg mom of twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-05-2005, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi, my husbands good friend and co-worker just found out she is pregnant with twins (after several years of infertility) . She is excited and overwhelmed! I would like to get her a couple of books that talk about AP parenting and breastfeeding twins and/or twin pregnancies.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

Thanks

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2005, 09:58 PM
HB2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mothering Multiples is a good one about breastfeeding. Although if she just found out she's preg. with twins, she may want to save this for later in the pregnancy and read up on twin pregnancy and parenting first, just to get an overview. If she has a computer, here's a link to some books from my Parenting Multiples website. http://www.parentingmultiples.allinf...ksandmags.html
Old 07-05-2005, 10:02 PM

Three must-haves:

1. When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets or Quads by Dr. Barbara Luke and Tamara Eberlein. Her nutrition program is unparalleled. Also check her website at www.drbarbaraluke.com and suggest her highly recommended nutritional assessment service. Worth more than she charges I can say from personal experience.

2. Having Twins by Elisabeth Noble. Out in many many editions. A classic.

3. Mothering Multiples by Karen Kerkhoff Gromada pub. by LLL. The go-to resource for breastfeeding and mothering multiples. Also see her website at www.karengromada.com, worth it for the photos section alone. This book is set to come out in a new edition in September, so the current edition may be available already at a discount some places. Worth getting it now and then getting the new edition, it's that good.

Congrats to your friend!
Old 07-07-2005, 08:50 PM

Yes! The books mentioned above are the best! Nutrition is so important so I follow Dr. Luke's recommended weight gains--not necessarily all of her nutritional advice because I'm a nutrition counselor myself--and got lots of rest. Drink lots of water.
Lisa
Old 07-12-2005, 04:36 AM

third on the Barbara Luke book....essential to us, we were in the Luke program @ UW
Old 07-12-2005, 10:39 AM
HB2

In addition to the others mentioned, I also liked Mothering Twins. It's written by 5 different women and gives 5 different viewpoints of preg. and parenting twins. It was the first book I read and thought it gave a good overview of what was in store.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks so much, I ordered "When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets or Quads" by Dr. Barbara Luke and Tamara Eberlein, and "Mothering Multiples" by Karen Kerkhoff Gromada. I am planning to wrap them in a prefold and give them to her. Thank you all so much!

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
Old 08-07-2005, 11:08 PM

Barbara Luke's book is pretty good. Although she can really scare the poop out of you regarding weight gain. No matter what I ate, I only gained 15 pounds by the end of my 2nd trimester. Now, I'm starting to put on weight (a little) but not as much as she' d like. Believe me, it's not for lack of eating either.

I started about 20 pounds over my 'ideal dream weight'. So, take that as you will.

Other books that I've read - Mothering Multiples, for the b/f side of things..

Jane Seymor's twin book - don't remember the name of it.

Have fun!

Christy S inTX
Due Nov 2005
1st time momma to B/G twins

User Tag List