How many moms here went to term with their mulitples?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-06-2005, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have to ask it seems that lot of you had fullterm twins. Myself I have trouble getting any baby to term My youngest was born at 24 wks 6 days and she was a singleton, mind you she was my 8th child.

I got my first twins, William and Nathaniel to 20 wks with placenta previa and an abruption . My second pregnancy was twin girls and they got to 29 wks they were 2lbs 11 oz and 2 lbs 5 oz. I was single at the time and had to work two jobs and I was going to night school so I think I did pretty good.

I saw one mom here got her babies to 6 and 7 pounds! So please share how far along you all got with your multiples and how you got there. Did everyone here have to go on strict bedrest? How big were your babies? please share
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2005, 10:33 PM

I was 38w 3d when my twins were delivered....they were a scheduled c-section (blech) and I think that I would have made it to at least 40 weeks if I had had the balls to tell my doctor he was a coward and demanded to be allowed to go into labor (but that's another story.) Baby A, Ava, was 7lbs 6oz, and Baby B, Genevieve, was 6lbs 5oz.

I have no idea why I was able to make it that long. I quit my job extremely early, like around 8 weeks, because I was bleeding, the Xmas season was coming up, and I was managing a retail store, meaning 12+ hours on my feet 6 days a week. I was planning on quitting just a few weeks after that anyway, since my dad had been diagnosed with cancer and his days were pretty numbered.

I spent a lot of time on the couch and I drank a ton of water. I don't know if it helped but it certainly didn't hurt. I was only on bedrest at the very end due to PIH, and even then I got up several times a day to pee, shower, and make myself a sandwich.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:03 PM

I too made it to 38w3d and was induced because of high blood pressure. That had been the only bump in the entire pregnancy. I was never put on bedrest, never restricted of any activities, etc. I had a dd who was a very active - and still bf'ing - toddler who also kept me on my toes. My girls were a vaginal birth and baby A (Lillie) weighed 6 lbs. 13 oz. and baby B (Faith) weighed 7 lbs. 1 oz. Faith was breech but they turned her before I delivered her. I personally know 3 other women who went to 40 weeks with twins. One is a good friend and delivered hers 10 or so weeks ago. They were each over 7 lbs. Another woman had hers at 40 weeks and her girl was 7 lbs. 1 oz. and her boy was 8 lbs. 8 oz.!!

I give a lot of credit to the Barbara Luke book "When You're Expecting Twins..." She puts a big emphasis on gaining weight early in the pregnancy and eating well all throughout. Women who follow her program have multiples that are born weighing 30% higher then the national average. Wow!!

I am so sorry that you have suffered the loss of any child. I know that pain must be incredible.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
Old 07-07-2005, 01:42 PM

I went to 41w1d with my singleton. He was 8lbs12oz and vaginal.

And then to 38w1d with my girls. They were 5lbs7oz and 5lbs12oz and emer c sec.

I had a perfect pregnancy with them. No bedrest. Went in for a regular doc appt and baby A heartrate was dropping by the minute so they took my babies within the next 10 minutes. UGH!! I don't know if she was truly in the danger they said she was. Maybe if they allowed me to walk around and change her position instead of running me to the OR I could of avoided the c sec. : But I won't get into that.

Anyway I was willing to carry them past my due date if they were happy inside me. Oh well. I wanted them to get up to 7lbs but instead they were little things and even now are very petite. But my dh and I are on the smaller side as well.

I ate as much protein as possible and drank gallons of water each day. I believe high protein is key to all pregnancies! I also bf ds till I was 4 1/2 mos preg and he self weaned.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:05 PM
HB2

38 weeks exactly. My girls were 20 inches long and 7 lbs. 5 oz. and 19 inches long and 5 lbs. 10 oz. To this day there is **** a 1 inch difference in height and 3 lb. difference in weight due to different body types. No NICU, no health problems.

Sched. c-section (due to previous uterine surgery I wasn't allowed to go into labor). I was not even dilated at all. OBs in NYC won't let you go past 38 weeks with twins, so I would have been induced anyway. Worked full time until 34 weeks exactly--1.5 hr. commute by train and subway each way. Absolutely no problems (I was 43 at the time). In fact I was riding the subway 3 days before they were born! I did spend all my time at home lying down to take any pressure off my cervix. I'm single with no other kids so it wasn't that difficult to do.

I paid a lot of attention to my diet and ate about 125 grams of protein every day. I had an aversion to meat & fish for most of the preg. and junk food--don't eat it to begin with) and drank about 2 gallons of water a day. I never read Dr. Luke's book, but did follow the advice of gaining 24 lbs. by 24 weeks. I gained 65 lbs. total. I was probably the only woman at my OB to be happy to hit the 200 pound mark! :LOL
Old 07-07-2005, 06:26 PM

I got to 40 weeks with my boys, 7.1 and 7.11. I didn't have to work, so all I did was sit around and eat. I think it sounds like you had a difficult situation to get through (working two jobs and school!). I think its amazing you were able to work so hard while pregnant with twins.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:43 PM

I went 40 weeks with my girls and was induced (my choice) because, I was tired and could barely walk. My doctor would have let me go longer if I wanted. The girls were born within 8 hours and were happy and healthy at 8 lbs and 7.15 lbs. There were no complications and I was able to stay in the delivery room and vaginally give birth with only 17 mins. in between. Like other post I was fortunate to be on disability with my work and in the last 6 weeks I did nothing but eat and sleep.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:47 PM

Hi,
I got to 40wks3days w/ my twin boys who were born at 81/2 lbs and 7 1/2lbs. I even induced w/ castor oil because I got impatient (would never do it again). The key for me was excellent nutrition--lots of protein, healthy fats, organic foods, cod liver oil--and lots of rest. I didn't work, slept in until noon a lot of days and ate every 1-2 hours because I was so hungry!
Hope this helps.
Lisa
Old 07-07-2005, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

WOW! You must all have been huge! My hat off to you all what a great job. I thought everyone had their twins early but I see that isn't true. Wear those strech marks with pride mamas!
Old 07-08-2005, 12:53 PM

:LOL The girls are 3 now and I was thinking of piercing my belly so I could do just that (wear the stretch marks with pride). Has anyone else done that?
Old 07-08-2005, 07:36 PM
HB2

Happy to say that I never got any stretch marks. Not everyone gets them!
Old 07-08-2005, 08:35 PM

Wow! The only mama's I know who didn't get them were very young at the time of prg., wondering if that was your situation HB2. :LOL Then my observation would be held intact and I wouldn't have to be jealous.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:37 AM

The best way to not get stretch marks is to have a mother that also didn't get stretchmarks - IMO. Since we can't pick our mothers....

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 07-09-2005, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

I never got any strech marks with my babies. My mother and sister both have them but I swear I am adopted because I am the only brown eyes person, I am taller and then there is the strech mark thing . I used an olive oil and alovera rub every day though with my babies.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:13 PM

I went to 37w1d with my twins and I do consider that full term I went into labour spontaneously and Sadie was 5lbs and Ella 6lbs4oz at birth - no complications, no bed rest and no stretch marks here either...and I'm 32 Does that throw your theory celrae? lol
Old 07-09-2005, 10:03 PM

I can't imagine what life would be like without stretch marks! Mine were so bad that some of them started to bleed near the end of my pregnancy!
Old 07-10-2005, 01:05 AM
HB2

I was 44 when I delivered my g/g twins. So much for that theory!! :LOL My mom didn't get any stretch marks either. It all has to do with your type of skin. Oddly enough I don't even remember the skin on my stomach being itchy during pregnancy. I'm also happy to report that the brown vertical line down my abdomen (don't remember what it's called) has completely disappeared. Yay!!!
Old 07-10-2005, 02:32 AM

I went 2 days past my due date. So yes, I went 40 weeks. My b/g twins were both breech, born at home and 8 pounds 3 ounces and 8 pounds 10 ounces.

Absolutely no sugar or refined breads or foods. A gallon of water a day. 150 grams of protein a day and lots of green leafy veges. I began salting my food about 28 weeks to increase blood volume. That gallon of water a day and the protein are extremely important!

Read Anne Frye's bit on Multiples in HOlistic Midwifery.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:10 AM

Well I am very jealous of no stretch marks but, we all have to celebrate our diversity right! , so i want to pierce it and make it pretty again. I am in the mood to do something fun, just not 100% sure it's the statement I want to make. Feedback appreciated.

hotmamacita -wow wonderful birth story!
Old 07-11-2005, 04:20 AM

I went to 38wks3dys to a scheduled C b/c BabyA was breech. I was po'd about the scheduled C but it turned out to be the BEST thing for BabyB since she was so in distress it wasn't funny, she came out not breathing from a C, can't imagine having her come out DEAD from a vaginal and being second there was no way she would have survived. So, anyways, BabyA was 6lbs.8oz. and BabyB was 5lbs.8oz. I didn't do bedrest, but I worked from home and laid down a lot and drank a lot of water (huge qty's) and ate every 1-2 hours organic, healthy, protein rich foods, NO soy (too much estrogen) and a ton of veggies and, did I mention the 176 grams of daily protein??? I was on a book's program and it really worked for me. I had lost a singleton baby the year before at 10 weeks and knew I would have another problem with the next pregnancy. I make bad placentas that clot and starve out the baby. I almost lost my twin dd that way, her placenta was 1/2 as thick as my son's and also 50% clotted. So that means that she was getting only 1/4 of the nutrients/oxygen that he was getting from his normal healthy placenta. I thank God almost every night still after 24 mos. and 2 weeks that I agreed to that C section b/c my ds was breech and wouldn't get his head down (which would have made him take his head and emotional support away from his sister who was in distress w/out us knowing it). My son is a little hero b/c he saved his twin sister's life! Even now he hugs her every night and says "hug" and just loves her totally. We are very blessed and am grateful for C-sections and doctors who insist on them!!! My dd is alive today b/c of it. I was insisting on a natural, no drugs birth and only agreed at the last possible moment. So glad God gave me that insight to trust the doctor. She was wonderful too.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:30 PM

I was moved by your story BGTAPMAMA. I am glad your birth was a blessing for you. And congrats on your twins. Aren't they a trip?

I just wanted to share that my second born was in second degree apnea and was not breathing and had trouble breathing for quite a while. In my situation, I was so deeply thankful that we were at home with a trusted midwife who was exceedingly well training in emergency NNR b/c hospital procedures would have put him at risk for other serious conditions.

My friend had a vaginal birth at a hospital and her baby died b/c of nurse and doctor incompetance and misdiagnosis. It was an awful mess. I know that she would have preferred a C-birth over her daughter dying but she didn't realize that the nurses and doctors would be grossly negligant.

She went on to have an amazing homebirth with her second child.

I have learned over the years that each birth is uniquely different and there is no place that is 100 percent safe or right but that each mother should be informed and have the right to choose her care provider and environment that she feels safe in and that is best for her baby (babies).
Old 07-11-2005, 10:58 PM

I went to 37 weeks with my girls, born just three weeks ago.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:14 AM

hotmamacita- I want to say that was a very supporative post, too often people second guess.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:27 AM

"Term" here....we used FAM, so we were at full term...

6lbs6oz/6lbs2oz

meat meat meat (sorry veg mamas) and a recliner + wheelchair got us there (pubis symphisis diastasis- ow!)
Old 07-12-2005, 10:42 AM
HB2

Yow. That must have been painful. Even though I had an aversion to meat and fish most of my pregnancy I did eat an 8 oz. steak 5 or 6 times a week in the last month and a half. Go Protein!
Old 07-12-2005, 11:20 AM

I had Ben & Sarah at a bit over 36 weeks, worked full-time with a 50-mile a day commute (though hubby had to drive me since I couldn't fit behind the steering wheel anymore) up to 2 days before I had them by emergency c-section. I developed HELLP Syndrome and nearly died but both babies were fine, Ben was 5lbs 1oz and Sarah was 5lbs 5oz. Ben spent a day in NICU for low blood sugar and high respiration but joined his sister by the end of their 2nd day and both came home with me when I was discharged in 4 days. I drank loads of water during my pregnancy but my protein intake was nowhere near what some of the other women who posted consumed. I'm vegan and had a completely vegan pregnancy but that didn't impact my protein consumption, I just didn't want to gain too much weight since I was already extremely overweight when I became pregnant. I only gained around 20lbs during my pregnancy. I ate loads of fresh fruit and veg, nuts, whole-grain bread/pasta, soymilk, and beans. No constipation during the pregnancy or after the c-section and had a quick & easy recovery (though the hospital refused to let me nurse until the end of the 2nd day because of magnesium sulfate given to me intravenously to prevent seizures from the HELLP Syndrome).
Old 07-12-2005, 12:08 PM

feline01- I was not able to drive either, that is one reason my doctor thought it was best for me to go on disability at 32 weeks. I had to have my husband drive me to work while I laid down in the back seat. Baby A's head was right under my rib cage on the right side, it made sitting upright impossible. Thus, a desk job and 30 min commute was not fun.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:09 PM

I actually wouldn't have minded disability but I was the main wage earner at the time (and the only one now) and needed to be on full-pay for as long as possible. I work(ed) 8:15-6 so left the house at 7:30am and didn't get home until 6:45pm, I was one tired, pregnant woman! That, on top of carrying 250+lbs. Whew!
Old 07-12-2005, 07:32 PM

Hey, Lois Lane...CONGRATS! : Enjoy those babes....

Oh and 2PiP- I had that too. IT really friggin hurt. But NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THE WHEELCHAIR OPTION!

Old 07-13-2005, 12:52 AM

No stretch marks for me either! I was 28 when I had my twins and my mother and my sister both got awful stretch marks when they were pg. I took great care of my skin when I was pg both times. I would cake my belly with lotion twice a day. :LOL When I delivered at 38w3d I measured 52 cm's! Yikes!!

celrae - My bellybutton is pierced. I had it done before I got married but I still love it! In fact, I just got a new ring for it today. I took it out during both pregnancies but always put it in right after. It makes me feel...kinda sexy which as a mom we need.

LoisLane - Congrats on the babes!! How are things going?!

hotmamacita - My bil and sil just lost their first baby due to negligence of the doctor. She was induced at 41 1/2 weeks and the induction itself went very well. She then was made to push for almost 5 hours (no epidural) before they finally decided to do the c-section. Baby died 2 days later and the hospital he was transferred to said the condition he had (his heart) was due to the stressful delivery. He was big (8lbs. 4oz.) and beautiful and now he's gone. I hope that she eventually has a happy outcome like your friend did.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)

User Tag List