Faternal or Identical? & Do you dress them alike? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2005, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 19 mo. fraternal girls who only dress in coordinating outfits on special occasions. I'm not into the matching outfit thing, but I when the girls were newborn, I experienced a very strange psychological phenomenon.... I dressed them in identical clothes for the first few months even though I swore I wouldn't do it. In retrospect, I think I was having trouble bonding with two very different babies at once, and somehow dressing them alike helped me cope. Did anyone else experience anything like this?

Brooke: a glass~blowin' hand~drummin' tree~huggin' home~birthin' earth~lovin' goddess~mama of 3!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2005, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have b/g 26 mo.old twins. I like them to coordinate/matching outfits for special occasions and sunday worship when I have the energy for such stuff. Most times they just look nice on their own. I have been thinking I should hurry up and get them some matching outfits before they are old enough to put their foot down on that sort of matchy-matchy nonsense, I might as well get to have fun dressing them up, kwim? I also put my son in a lot of light blue and babyish colors b/c he is growing up too fast and soon will only want to wear navy blue I suppose. I put my dd in a lot of baby pink for the same reason. As soon as they show a preference they will be given free reign.

And IMHO I don't think matching them *destroys their individuality*. I think that being part of a tribe/family/twins is a special link to loved ones that is where your home base is. I feel it gives security to know the bond that is there. From that security comes total freedom to then venture out and explore their individuality to the fullest, not wondering if there is a secure *homebase* to go back to in the event that is emotionally needed. It probably only becomes a problem in families that don't allow that *venturing out* that all children need to do eventually. So it isn't the clothing, but the parenting IMO. I see families with different aged children buy matching outfits all the time and I think it's cute as long as it isn't overdone. I mean, who would be anal enough to actually change outfits on a clean twin when the other twin gets soiled? Does that sort of thing actually happen? How does that mother have the TIME to do all that wash??? Could she even be AP'ing? I couldn't imagine having the time or taking the effort to do that. But, hey, that's my own lack of energy speaking.

User Tag List