"The Twins" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2005, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Twins. How do you feel about that phrase?

Do you call your pair "the twins"? Do you allow others to call them "the twins"?

Perhaps it's having been raised with certain ideas about twins (my mom had twin boys when I was 12), but this phrase REALLY bothers me! A lot! Yes, my boys ARE twins and I DO definately want to celebrate that special relationship! But I also want to foster their individuality and recognize them for their own traits and qualities. I don't think there's anything wrong with the comment in passing, but when people use it frequently I find myself really offended, as if it's too much of a bother for someone to remember both of my boys, so they just lump them into one unit. I think part of it is also because my boys were originally two of a set of quads, so to have someone call them twins repeatedly kind of stings sometimes.

My mom's dh calls her boys and my boys "the twins" and it drives me nuts! Especially since we never know which twins he's referring to! My inlaws refer to "the twins" almost constantly! MIL is getting better and I think FIL is trying to, but I suspect it's only for my sake b/c every acquaintance of their's that I have met immediately says, "Oh, and there's The Twins! I try to be patient and realize that twins are still a sort of a novelty for them as nobody on their side has ever had multiples.

I'd love to hear what you think of it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2005, 03:59 AM

I hate that term! makes me think of one head with two bodies coming out of it

We have been lucky and no one has realy used that term in our life. My niece thought I had two of baby Emma and so she called my girls the Emmas but that is it realy and she only did it for a few months while they were tiny. We did have one little girl call Em and Liz the twins, she used it as a name for both of my girls. Her mom said she couldn't understand my children so I told her mom to sit and explain it or to not bring her over to play. That ended that problem.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:28 AM

A lot of my family calls A & G "The Twins," and although it bothers me, I really don't ask them to say anything different. If you knew my family, you would know that they would look at me like I just grew another head if I suggested there was anything wrong with it, and then they'd still call them "The Twins" anyway. Argh.

I do sometimes call A & G "The Girls." I would do that even if they were different ages....it's what my little sister and I were called all the time when we were kids. If I had a boy and a girl I would probably call them "The Kids."
Old 07-09-2005, 02:29 AM

I never use that phrase when talking about my daughters.

I use "the girls".

I don't like the phrase "the twins" when it refers to them. I think because it implies that they come in a set.

But I don't mind "the girls". It's kind of endearing to me.

What's the difference? I don't know.

But "the twins" is irritating.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:59 PM

I really don't see how it's any different than saying "the girls/boys" or "the kids", it's a way of describing a specific "group" of people.

That said, I usually call mine "the girls" or "the kids", not sure why, those just seem to "flow" better for me. And there are only a couple people who call them "the twins" so it's not really an issue around here. Some of my friends' kids still call them "the babies" (their 27 mo old) but my kids call my friend's ds (who's 8 mo younger than them) "Baby Joel", so thats just what little kids seem to do w/ kids younger than them so again I don't care, I figure if/when the girls get tired of being called "the babies" they'll make their wishes known. Ditto w/ "the twins" if/when they have a problem w/ it, they can let people know they don't like it.

I get much more annoyed by the people who are around us on a regular basis & insist on calling Ashlyn "Ashley". If you're a stranger in the store & ask me their names & "hear me wrong" fine but come ON if we're together for a couple hours & everyone there is calling her Ashlyn, pay enough attention to get her name right already!!!! Not to mention that dh's grandparents call them Ashley & Alexis (their names are Ashlyn & Lexie (Lexie being short for Alexandria, NOT Alexis) Grrrrr but we deal w/ it for the few days a year we see them & I'm guessing by next year the girls might tell them when they're wrong LOL.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadawg
I never use that phrase when talking about my daughters.

I use "the girls".

I don't like the phrase "the twins" when it refers to them. I think because it implies that they come in a set.

But I don't mind "the girls". It's kind of endearing to me.

What's the difference? I don't know.

But "the twins" is irritating.
My dh and I both use "the girls" instead of "the twins". I didn't think anything of it, after all, my sister and I were "the girls" growing up. But last weekend I was watching Olivia and "the girls" playing outside. Olivia was running around after them and whenever she wanted their attention she would yell "girls!". Which is not something that dh and I have ever done, when we yell for them (i.e. up the stairs) we call them by name. So now I have mixed feelings about "the girls".

I only use "twins" online, and then only on occasion. Mostly when I don't feel comfortable using their names (obviously not someplace where I have a sig with their names in it, lol) or it would be awkward. There are times when it makes sense to refer to them as twins, and referring to them as "the twins" is easier, typing-wise. Lately I've started calling them "the older girls" both on-line and with family.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:21 PM
HB2

I mostly do "the twins" thing online also. IRL I call my g/g twins "the girls" or by their names. The kids in the neighborhood call them the twins or Baby A and Baby B sometimes :LOL but I don't mind that. For them it's a novelty. I see them as complete individuals (they are fraternal) but want them to be close as sisters since there will only be the two of them. Besides, they are so different physically and personality wise.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:31 AM

so funny, we were worried about that, but we always use their names....it just rolls of the tongue - Orion & Quinn..

All the family says it in one phrase, too..

User Tag List