Belated birth announcement - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-13-2005, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak (just one!)

Hi everyone,

I posted a brief birth announcement over in the July due date club but realized not everyone here was likely to be following it as closely as I've been! But 3.5 weeks ago, at exactly 37 weeks, Katharine Marie and Olivia Jane made their arrival safely into the world!!

(no longer nakking -- both needed feeding and I can't figure out how to type and nurse with two).

Anyway -- I had been having irregular ctxns for about 2-3 weeks before that (ugh) but they finally got regular, 5 minutes apart, on June 16. I was a wreck by then (as you all probably remember vividly from your last weeks pregnant with twins) -- I had a terrible time sleeping, numb hands from carpel tunnel, swelling everywhere, pain everywhere, and worry about Twin B (Olivia) who had not gained any weight/size from an U/S two weeks earlier. My OB had said we would talk induction on that Friday if nothing had happened by then after looking at Twin B again. I was *so* happy they came in their own time (and just in time!)

Hard labor lasted about eight hours and even though a hospital birth, I was SO happy with the nurses, my OB and care throughout. It was kind of a shock to go from the low lights and quiet of the laboring room to the harsh lights and ELEVEN HOSPITAL PEOPLE in the delivery/operating room -- but by then I was pushing and quickly forgot about all the people watching. I started pushing at 12:05 a.m. Friday, June 17, and at 12:28 a.m. Katharine came into the world, head first and screaming. Seven minutes later, Olivia started to come -- feet first and with a fist (my DH said it looked like she was ready to give the world the finger for making her leave when she finally got some room.) Somehow, my OB got her fist tucked back up and out she came, double footling breech. She took about 7-10 seconds to start breathing (longest 10 seconds of my life) but after a bit of oxygen, she let out a lusty cry and has been great since. I am so happy my OB was skilled and experienced with breech and multiple births -- he wasn't at all phased by Olivia's odd positioning and was calm throughout.

Both girls stayed with us in the hospital and came home on Monday, the 20th.
Katharine weighed 6lbs2oz, Olivia was 5lbs7oz. Katharine had a bit of jaundice but it didn't reach serious levels and has gone down slowly, which is good news.They both took to breastfeeding with gusto and are growing and delighting us all the time. They had their first growth spurt this weekend (where nursing every 2.5 hours turned into every 1.5 hours!) but are back on track now (much to the relief of my breasts). We have a checkup tomorrow -- I'm eager to see what they weight and how they've grown -- but it's all gone so much better than I could have dreamed.

I mean -- we're completely tired, our house is a wreck and our dog is neglected. But the work and plans we made pre-babes for our DS (who just turned 3) have been helpful -- lots of special times with his friends, outings with grandparents, some fun plans with me and DH separately, etc. And we are so happy we stocked up on healthy good in our freezer -- because at least we're eating, if little else.

I can't thank you all enough for your encouragement and advice from that first "holy sh*t -- twins" moment and throughout. I don't know how much I'll be posting in the next days and weeks, but I lurk while nursing and am so grateful for this community of mamas. Thanks for everything!
#2 of 5 Old 07-14-2005, 09:41 AM

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#3 of 5 Old 07-14-2005, 10:19 AM

Congratulations, Lisa!!!
That is wonderful, and I am so glad to hear they are both doing so well!!
Blessings to you and your family.
#4 of 5 Old 07-14-2005, 11:40 AM

Welcome Katharine and Olivia!!!

And Congratulations Lisa!! Sounds like your birth was just about PERFECT!!

I'm glad your ds is doing well too! He is in for it with 2 new little sissys! They are gonna think the world of him! My 12 mos girls look at my 2 1/2 yo ds like he is king! The best is when they were younger he'd carry his 2 twin babies dolls around just like I did. I'd sit and nurse the girls (24/7) and he'd walk over and plop down next to me with his dollies. He even would occasionally nurse the baby dolls!! That brought tears to my eyes! Anyway...the next best thing to twin girls - are twin girls with a big brother!!

I'm happy nursing is going great for you! Congrats!!
#5 of 5 Old 07-14-2005, 03:04 PM

Congratulations!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page