My best friend just had *SURPRISE* twins!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 07-25-2005, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh my goodness! I thought this wasn't possible, but I am eating my words bigtime.

My best friend gave birth at home to surprise twin boys this afternoon. She was 10 days overdue. She measured 42 cm before "the baby" dropped last week; then she went down to 40 cm. She never had a u/s.

She *did* sort of feel like she was having twins, but we'd just say it was because I had had twins, and that was her only experience with someone pregnant. She always referred to "the baby" as "they," which I always thought was funny. She said it was just easier than saying "he or she." Towards the end, she even really looked like she was having twins, but since her fundus measured right on target, we figured it was just an optical illusion. So, we talked about the idea of her having twins A LOT (especially since we gave her all our old baby clothes. . . I remember her saying, "I keep looking at all these clothes and having to remind myself that I'm not having twin boys!"), but we really didn't think it was going to happen!

But happen it did. At 12:23 p.m. this afternoon, Elijah was born, and five minutes later his brother(still unnamed)--not a placenta!!--arrived.

Everyone is in shock. It's intense to expect one baby and get two. I am so proud of my friend and so so so glad that she never had a u/s. If she had had one, she'd never have been able to have a homebirth, or to go to 41 weeks, 3 days. . . the only downside medically is that since she didn't know she was having twins, she didn't eat extra protein or anything like that. She was spilling a lot of protein into her urine at the end. The babies are on the smaller side--6-13 and a little over 5 lbs. My friend lost a lot of blood, but she is seeming like she's getting better.

I am so excited that we get to be moms of twins together. Wow.

By the way, she is 25 years old and it was an unplanned pregnancy (no drugs). I think the boys are probably identical, but folks who've seen them say it's hard to say for sure with such a big size difference.

WOW.

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#2 of 36 Old 07-26-2005, 01:28 AM

Wow!

That's crazy!!

Congratulations to your friend. And she's lucky to have you as a best friend. You can guide her through the early days!
#3 of 36 Old 07-26-2005, 01:37 AM

It sounds like the boys were in good shape despite not following any specific for twins diet, etc. My dd was 6 lb. 13 oz and she was a singleton, so those sizes sound excellent for twins to me (not that I know really...). I think it's great she got to have a homebirth, etc.

Congrats!
#4 of 36 Old 07-26-2005, 02:11 AM

Wow!! What a surprise! The sizes don't sound too bad, really - my aunt's 40w1d twin girls were 6-5 and 5-13, and they were known twins from the first trimester. Good thing your friend has you for advice!

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#5 of 36 Old 07-26-2005, 03:45 AM

Wow, that is wonderful!!! I am so happy for her that she got the birth she waqnted. And it sounds like mother's intuition kicked in even though she didn't realize it. Congratulations to your friend!
#6 of 36 Old 07-26-2005, 03:07 PM

Wow! How amazing! And shocking.
#7 of 36 Old 07-26-2005, 05:09 PM

OMIGOD!! What a story! And what a ride!! Congratulations! TWICE!!
#8 of 36 Old 07-26-2005, 05:37 PM

Seems like a decent size for a lot of twins I've heard of. Although it seems that MDC mommas grow 'em big!

How wonderful that she has a friend like you nearby to get practical advice and help from.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#9 of 36 Old 07-26-2005, 05:43 PM

I love stories like this!

My best friend gave birth to surprise twins in a hospital and she had been under the care of an OB. She had 1 sono at the very end to see if the baby was head down. When they saw the head, they didn't bother looking for anything or anyone else. Baby 2 was delivered breech. "that's not a placenta, it's a foot!"
#10 of 36 Old 07-26-2005, 05:49 PM

That's totally awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW! I couldn't imagine what it must be like...what a rush! Congratulations to the -now bigger- family! : :
#11 of 36 Old 07-26-2005, 07:16 PM

WOW Congrats to your friend!
#12 of 36 Old 07-26-2005, 07:28 PM

I love twin stories! I am a twin (identical). Your friend has my mom beat... she found out she was having twins 4 days before we were born... about a month early... but that was in the days where they didn't do sonograms... my mom insisted she was having twins, but our heartbeats were in sync and when they did an x-ray (really, that's what they did then), one of us was hidden behind the other, LOL!

I can't believe your friend was 10 days overdue!! Amazing!

Sending happy twin vibes her way....

Twins are fun!!!

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#13 of 36 Old 07-26-2005, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
that's awesome!!! My midwife had surprise, unassisted twin girls at 41 weeks. They were 7 lbs 2 oz and 7 lbs 6 oz.

My midwife really suspected her twins, and did not have a u/s because her midwife wouldnt have delivered them at home. Fast, furious, and everything went great for mama and babies. The girls are almost 12 now.
#14 of 36 Old 07-27-2005, 12:18 AM

Wow, Lex! What an awesome story!! Please do tell your friend that all of the twin Mama's at MDC say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

By the way...I see in your sig that you and Lena decided to do foster parenting!!! Please let us know when you get your first child and how it goes. It's something dh and I have talked about doing also.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#15 of 36 Old 07-29-2005, 03:25 AM

congrats to your friend!

Ours were surprise too.........though I think I knew something about it, just didn't want it realized during the pregnancy.

Mine were both breach. Hour and a quarter between them.........7lbs 10 oz and 7lbs 3 oz. All was well..........whole Kaiser hosp staff came to see and exclaim why knowing less and using less is better.......just like old times!!! They all knew that I'd never have gotten to birth them vaginally if we'd known ahead of time. My doc said we weren't meant to know!
#16 of 36 Old 07-29-2005, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for the well wishes!

Mama, Papa, and babes are all doing well today, five days later. Things got pretty scary Tuesday night soon after I'd arrived to help out. My friend's blood pressure got really high and the midwives decided to transport to the hospital. It turned out to be mild HELP syndrome (very severe preeclampsia), and my friend had to go on Mag Sulfate. In all the commotion and worry about my friend (who had also lost A LOT of blood), one of the babies got pretty dehydrated. Luckily I was there to offer him my breast, and we didn't need to give him any formula. I felt weird about giving two-year-old breastmilk to a newborn, but it was certainly a better choice than a bottle and formula. I ended up nursing both babies a couple of times during the next 12 hours. . . pretty wild experience. I now feel forever bonded to my bestfriend in a whole new way. It was SO EASY to nurse someone else's twin newborns! If only it'd been that easy with my own! Yesterday, my friend's milk came in and the babies didn't need me anymore. They are now nursing really great, tandem and everything, and my friend has survived engorgement. She's also had an amazing recovery from the HELP syndrome and is back home today (though on bed rest for at least a couple of weeks). This has been such a wonderful experience for me--very healing for me since I have long been tormented about my own post-partum experience when I felt like I couldn't really be there for my babies. It was so nice to be there so totally for my friend and her beautiful, beautiful babies.

By the way, the boys are almost certainly monozygotic. The different colored strings around their ankles are totally necessary to tell them apart, and there was only one placenta. They are closer in size than I was originally told, twin a was 6-12 and twin b was 5-13. Since twin b is the one who got dehydrated and needed to nurse me the most, he's almost caught up to his brother now.

They are so grateful that they didn't know they were having twins and also that they didn't know Katie was preeclamptic. . . both things would have certainly ruled out a homebirth, and possibly even ruled out a vaginal birth.

YAY!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#17 of 36 Old 07-30-2005, 08:38 AM

COngrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I love stories like this.
#18 of 36 Old 07-30-2005, 09:58 AM

I fully understand the shock since it happened to me this past March! I am glad for her as well that she had no ultrasound - gotta go, Mary
#19 of 36 Old 08-01-2005, 12:32 AM

Crazy! what kismet she has you, lexbeach...
#20 of 36 Old 08-01-2005, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Do you have pix?

This story is absolutely amazing on so many levels. The fact that two bf's had twins, that the momma didn't know, that she had a vaginal delivery at home, etc., etc. I'm so glad she has recovered.
#21 of 36 Old 08-01-2005, 12:52 AM

That is so cool! What a neat experience to have a total surprise like that! And what an awesome experience for you to nurse them when they needed help!
#22 of 36 Old 08-01-2005, 01:00 AM

what a really cool story!
#23 of 36 Old 08-03-2005, 01:09 AM

Wow, Lex! I am still so amazed by this story. I loved reading your update and seeing that you nursed her babies brought tears to my eyes. What an amazing experience for you! I thought I had read in a post of yours a while back that the boys had weaned but I guess I was wrong. By the way, what did she name the second baby??

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#24 of 36 Old 08-03-2005, 01:58 PM

Oh my gosh I love this! You nursed the babies!! How awesome!! I thought I read that you weaned too. Maybe that was just night weaning. Fill us in on more details!!

Personally - now that I've nursed - I have a desrie to nurse every single baby I see!! :LOL If I see a baby in discomfort or crying I have this urge to nurse them. Of course I never have and I am quite positive that if I were to offer this anyone and everyone would truly think I am a freak! It is so nice to know that your friend was open to that and that your natural reaction was to nurse the baby(ies) yourself!!! How wonderful!!

I am glad mama is recovering now!
#25 of 36 Old 08-03-2005, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hello again!

I'm glad you are all loving this story. . . so am I! It is definitely the talk of our area among those who are into birth. I keep running into people who say, "I just heard that someone had surprise twins at home!" And I say, "Yep, SOMEONE did!" Mama, Papa, Elijah and Aryeh (pronounced sort of like "Ari-yay") are all doing great. At one week and one day old, both boys had already surpassed their birthweights--Aryeh by a whole pound (he had been the littler guy, now they're about the same). So nursing is going very well indeed! Now that the size difference is mostly gone (one is 6-13, the other is about 7), it is crazy how exactly alike the boys look. I have never before seen such identical-looking twins. Mama is pretty good at telling them apart, but even she got mixed up today. She says it's hard when we change their outfits. I'm thinking they better start dressing one baby in certain outifts and the other baby in other outfits so that they can tell who's who in photos later.

I've still been helping out a lot, but haven't needed to nurse the babes again. Today I was maybe going to have to nurse them when the papa and I brought them to the pediatrician (Mama is still on bedrest), but we ended up deciding not to go because the midwife had just weighed them, and another midwife agreed to do the PKU test at home, and we all decided that they looked less yellow (they are fairly jaundiced). So that was a relief because I really didn't want to take them away from their mama or have to give them toddler milk when she is making so much of the stuff they need.

I had weaned my boys back in May, but after a couple of weeks I started nursing Jasper again. He just wasn't ready. It's really nice to just nurse one! We weren't nursing that often--every few days or so--but about a week before my friend gave birth, Jaz started nursing a few times a day (I think because my wife's away right now--at that time she'd been gone about two weeks, and Jaz was really upset about it)--just in time to build up my supply for Eli and Ari! I still didn't think I'd have that much milk, but when I was first nursing Aryeh, I tried to express some to see if there was anything in there, and milk came spraying out! So, it could have just been the circumstances. . . I think a lot of milk production is a mind-over-body thing. It was totally natural to nurse her babies--I suppose in part because she is my best friend and I think of her like a sister. I also just think of nursing as so entirely natural that it feels okay to me to nurse anyone's baby, I guess! When my boys were babies my wife tried nursing them a few times, as did my mom and my sister (just to see what it was like). I think it used to be really normal for everyone to nurse everyone's babies. . . I don't know when or why that changed, but it certainly has! It was fun to widen people's horizons the first time we took Elijah and Aryeh to the pediatrician and I was nursing them. Everyone kept congratulating me, and I'd say, "oh, I'm not the mother, I'm just her friend, helping her out." At one point one of the midwives suggested that I nurse the babies in a different room (as opposed to the mama's hospital room) so as not to upset the nurses. And I said, "I prefer to think of it as educating them, not upsetting them," and I nursed them right there.

It has been sooooo healing for me to help out with these new babies and get to mother them the way I wish I'd been able to mother my own babies (when instead I was recovering from a c-section). I sling them and bounce them and walk them and change their diapers. . . it's heaven! I am definitely ready for another baby!

We should have some photos online sometime soon. . . I'll be sure to add the link so you can all appreciate just how beautiful these two new beings are.

Lex

#26 of 36 Old 08-19-2005, 08:33 AM

what a neat amaizing story! Congratulations!!
#27 of 36 Old 08-19-2005, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That is AMAZING!!!!!! Congrats to her!
#28 of 36 Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 PM

i don't know if anyone will ever see this--but i just had to post.

on the eve of the anniversary of my boys birth, i googled "surprise twin homebirth" and came across this thread. i'm the mum of elijah and aryeh. i am so grateful to lex for having documented those overwhelming awesome first days. it's so wonderful to receive all the well wishes and hear from people who had similar stories three years later as i remember birthing. and how healing to have the space to look back, more at peace with the shock, exhaustion and illness, to remember how beautiful and miraculous it all was. mothering these boys is a deeply humbling experience.

thank you all who shared in this story. and thanks to my dearest friend lex, who nurtured us all in those early days, and who still takes such tender care of us. we are so blessed.

here's a link to some much belated pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28929061@N03/

in love and gratitude,
katie

ps/ i still debate about the boys being identical--but lex sets me straight each time. i got them confused (somehow!) in a pic today!
#29 of 36 Old 07-24-2008, 11:47 PM

Oh Katie, it was so fun to read your story today! Happy Birthing Day Mama!!!
#30 of 36 Old 07-25-2008, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Awww . . . I love you! :

It was fun for me too, to read through this thread and relive it all. I still can't believe it.

Happy, Happy Birthday to your sweet little babies.

Lex

ETA: And, YES, they are definitely monozygotic! I can't even for sure tell who's who in that 3-year-old picture (Eli on the right?).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page