Looking for Canadian resources - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-01-2005, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 21 weeks pregnant with twin girls and living in Ottawa, Canada. Are there any other Canadians out there? And do you have any recommended Canadian resources?

These are the links I have so far:

Multiple Births Canada
http://www.multiplebirthscanada.org/english/index.php

Mom2Many - Parents of Multiples Across Canada
http://www.mom2many.com/
#2 of 4 Old 08-01-2005, 10:42 PM

Hi jlobb

Congratulations on your twins! I hope all is going well for you and the babies.

I have 4 y/o b/g twins and 2 singletons and I remember how important it was to connect with other moms while I was pregnant.

I'm in Southwestern Ontario. There is a huge twins club in Ottawa but they are not part of the MBC group and I don't remember . Off the top of my head I would say try calling public health or even the library for a contact name/number. You might also try calling the children's hospital birthing floors as they may have a contact or even your midwife/OB.

Linda Haddon might know a contact for you as well. She runs this organization which is based in Ottawa:
http://www.multiplebirthsfamilies.com/index.html
She's a great resource and you are lucky to have her in your area.

You could also try contacting MBC - someone there is likely to know how to put you in touch with the local group.

Oh - just found this
http://www.mbfa.ca/ - the Ottawa group's website

HTH
Good luck!
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#3 of 4 Old 08-06-2005, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Are you close to London, On.? All of my family and my husband's family is back in London, so we travel back and forth quite a bit ... although I guess that might change in the next year ... we'll have to see how things go. Any tips about syncronizing your twins eating, sleeping, etc.?
#4 of 4 Old 08-06-2005, 06:31 PM

We're about an hour east of London just off the 401.

I'm of 2 minds about sychronizing schedules. It's nice in theory - but it doesn't always work to everyone's benefit. Sometimes it is nice to have one baby at a time. Sometimes it is nice for them all to sleep....lol But IMO there is a fine line between changing a schedule for convenience of the family and being less respectful of their needs and individuality.

In practicality, we co-slept and I just either nursed whoever needed it at the time, or tandem nursed if that was what was necessary. We fed on demand so I didn't deliberately attempt to get them nursing in synch so much as it kind of happened. I had one cat-napper and one who would sleep for hours at a time. I couldn't get them to nap at the same time for the longest time. Eventually it worked out but the cat-napper would only sleep for a longer period of time if I was with her and she's still like that. We adjusted by tandem nursing both of them, my ds would fall asleep and then I could focus on dd to get her to nurse to sleep while I read to my eldest. DD would sleep and I would try to slip away while positioning her next to her twin.

My kids are car nappers - all of them. So if the day was going haywire and I was about to lose it I'd pile us all in the van - drive to a Tim Horton's about 20 minutes away - get a tea and a treat and then drive home. If they were still awake when I got home I would do it again. If they were asleep I'd lock the doors and sleep with them, or read or just sit with no one touching me for a while. It was a bit of heaven and I got enough time to be able to make it through the rest of the day.

My advice - which you have probably already heard 100s of times is to get help - lots of it - for a LONG time. :LOL

Really - if you can get through the first 6 weeks then you are through some of the worst of it. I found a huge difference in my ability to cope at 6 wks, 3 months, 6 months and 12 months. Then it gets a bit nuts as they learn to walk - but the constant physical strain on your body of no sleep, lots of nursing etc fades about that time too - making the walking easier to handle. By the time they are 2 having twins can be easier because they entertain each other but they can also get into double the trouble.

It's hard - but it is also amazing.

Good luck!
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page