Weaned for months but then starts up again? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-03-2005, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have the case where their 'older' baby weaned before the new baby(ies) arrived. And then they tried to nurse after the baby arrived but didn't remember how. But then figured it out!

My friend's oldest (2 1/2 yo) just figured out how to nurse again after being weaned for awhile now. She nurses her 7 mos old too. The older dd I think weaned a bit before the baby dd was born so maybe 9 mos or so ago. Older dd would want to nurse after baby dd was born but didn't remember how. My 2 1/2 ds did/does the same. He sees he sisters nurse and tries to himself also but doesn't know to suck.

Well her older dd somehow figured out that she needs to suck and is back to nursing! I sometimes wish my ds would nurse again. I feel our nursing was cut short. (He self weaned at 13.5 mos when I was 4.5 mos prego with my girls and my milk changed).

Just wondered how common it is that a child forget how to nurse after being weaned for sometime and then suddenly remember how to suck and nurse again!!
#2 of 3 Old 08-09-2005, 11:30 PM

Although I have never personally heard of that happening, I do think it's really cool!! Haven weaned 2 months before Lillie and Faith were born and she did ask to nurse in the hospital and once or twice the first couple of weeks. I let her but she didn't latch on....just sat there with my nipple in her mouth. Looking back I wish so badly she hadn't weaned when she did. I did wean her slowly (over am almost 6-month time span) and she took to it very well but it still breaks my heart sometimes to look back and think "What if"....

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#3 of 3 Old 08-09-2005, 11:55 PM

My friend had a baby in April and her 2 year old had been weaned for about 4 months. She started nursing again.
The latch is still "off" however and even though she seems to be happily nursing it is pretty uncomfortable for my friend.
She is hoping her dd will work it out.
Joline

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page