When did you learn you were going to parent multiples? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 08-10-2005, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm almost 17 weeks and at my OB appointment last week, the doctor hinted after feeling my uterus that it was larger than expected and hinted that twins are a possibility. She discussed other possible causes for this, like miscalculating my due date (if that's true, it would be in the other direction) and full bladder (possible).

Unfortunately, I won't know until my ultrasound in a few weeks. How did you find out you were carrying multiples, and when? Were there other signs? This is kinda weird, but before I KNEW I was pregnant I joked with my husband about how I WAS pregnant, and lo and behold, I was (that was from our first week of TTC ever so chances were pretty slim). Since finding out I've made similar jokes about carrying twins, and I'm just wondering if there could be something to mother's intuition afterall.

But we think it would be really cool to have twins and I'm afraid of getting my hopes up too high!
#2 of 27 Old 08-10-2005, 06:29 PM

I found out at my first pre-natal with my family doctor at 12 weeks. I measured 16+ weeks and because I had a rather large ovarian cyst complicating my first pregnancy he sent me for an ultrasound immediately. My DH wasn't with me b/c it was just supposed to be a quick visit so I could get a referral back to my OB. I waited to tell him until I could see his face - he was a bit surprised - lol.

Good luck with your pregnancy
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#3 of 27 Old 08-11-2005, 01:55 AM

I found out at about 7 1/2 weeks. I was in severe pain & they thought I had kidney stones, so they gave me an ultrasound. I knew I was pregnant, but the u/s tech saw TWO yolk sacs! It was crazy.

Keep us posted on what you find out!
#4 of 27 Old 08-11-2005, 02:18 AM

I found out in my 8th week b/c I had a blood test at the doctors office to confirm my pregnancy and my hormone numbers were so high that either it was twins or a down's syndrome baby. so they did an ultrasound right there to determine which and it was 2 sacks, right there, plain as day. I wasn't very happy about it. But, really, I love these babies so much I can't imagine not having one of them now. They are 25 months old now. Good luck!
#5 of 27 Old 08-11-2005, 08:25 AM

I found out at my 20 week u/s. At my 16 wk appointment the midwife commented that I was measuring a little big and "I guess the u/s will tell us if it's twins" but I totally thought she was joking. Guess not.
#6 of 27 Old 08-11-2005, 10:06 AM

At 5.5 weeks my ultrasound showed one baby. At 7 weeks, the ultrasound showed two babies. Talk about surprised.
#7 of 27 Old 08-11-2005, 10:36 AM

I found out at about 10 weeks. I had been having some spotting and my ob did an ultrasound to make sure everything was okay. And there they were...TWO sacks!!! It was very surreal...
Keep us posted on what you find out.
Blessings.
#8 of 27 Old 08-11-2005, 12:37 PM

I was just a few weeks pregnant when I 'knew' I was preg and took HPT and it was positive!

Then saw doc at 5wk5days preg and she said uterus was a bit big so I may be off on my dates. I knew I wasn't off.

At 7w5d she scheduled u/s to check size of baby and verify dates. I asked u/s tech "You can see multiples at this point right?" - mother's intuition I guess. Well just seconds after she said "Well there are 2 babies". Well at that point I went into shock :LOL but have been in love with my girlsfriends ever since!!

I went from thinking I could barely get pregnant since I was still nursing ds so much...to getting TWO babies!!
#9 of 27 Old 08-11-2005, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmilkmama
I went from thinking I could barely get pregnant since I was still nursing ds so much...to getting TWO babies!!
Same with me! I was still nursing my then 18-month-old dd A LOT but was hoping to get pg again. I did conceive on our 4th cycle of trying and my OB suggested an ultrasound to confirm my edd since I was bf'ing when I got pg. He did make a couple of comments about twins...something about another mom who just had her 10th and 11th children which were twins and saying how my ultrasound could also "rule out multiples". I asked him then if he knew something I should and he laughed and said no. DH and I joked about it a few times before the ultrasound but on the way into the office it kind of hit me...they're going to tell me there's two. I wish to this day I'd have said it outloud. The tech put the wand on my belly and asked a couple of standard questions. She then asked if there was anything genetic in my family she should be aware of. I said no and then looked over at the screen. There they were as plain as day! Two sacs with two beautiful beating hearts!! Life has never been the same since then.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#10 of 27 Old 08-11-2005, 04:04 PM

I always knew I was going to have twins to raise. I had my pregnancy test though blood work and my hormone levels were very high for what we worked out to be my LMP so my dr ordered an U/S and low and behold two babies at 8 or 9 wks. I had lost twins two years previous and so during the ultrasound I said don't go and tell me there are twins in there. LOL.. all the tech said was "how did you know?"
#11 of 27 Old 08-11-2005, 05:51 PM

I found out when I was about 11 weeks along via routine ultrasound at my first OB appointment. The twins were pretty close together in utero (they're fraternal) and they were picking up a very high heartrate (because it was picking both up at the same time and kind of 'averaging' the heartrate). Low and behold, twins. I just about fell off the exam table when she told me!

I got pregnant with the twins on the first try. I had been trying to talk to my husband about having one more baby after this pregnancy 'cause I really wanted at least 3. He said no (he's always said he only wanted 2 and I was ok with that). I said "Fine, I"m just going to have twins then! So there! Hmph!" (obviously in a joking, sarcastic way). Low and behold, I was!

I had less symptoms (m/s etc) with the twins than I had with my dd the first go around. Who knows, you very well might be preggo with twins!
#12 of 27 Old 08-11-2005, 06:54 PM

I found out on 7/25, at a routine u/s at 9w. I'm still in shock. :LOL
#13 of 27 Old 08-12-2005, 02:12 PM

I found out at 34 weeks. I did not have an ultrasound until my midwife said that the baby was in an unusual position and she really wanted me to have one to find out what was going on. I think she knew at this point that it was twins, but didn't say anything more just in case. I really wish I had not found out until they were born. Once we found out, the pregnancy became very stressful, with non-stress tests, worrying about size difference, recommendations to induce, etc. And I gave birth in a hospital instead of at home.

Since this was my first and so far only pregnancy it is hard to be sure, but I think these were other signs:

I felt big early on and my husband and I began referring to my belly as the twins and they. At our first appt. with our midwife, at 18 weeks, she was pretty sure we didn't have twins, and since she had twins herself, I trusted her judgement. I thought all first time parents must just think they have twins.

I was extremely tired during first trimester. I was lucky to not be working, and could not imagine how anyone could work and be pregnant at the same time. I think I was awake only 4-6 hours a day!

As the baby got bigger, it seemed to have a lot of hiccups.

The baby never did the big huge flips everyone was describing.

The baby was scratching (rubbing, maybe, but felt like scratching) at my cervix pretty early on. Turns out that was Zoe, who I now believe was engaged in my pelvis pretty early. She was born with one hand up by her head, so I think that is what I was feeling all along.

When I lay on my left side, I felt fingers pushing away down near my pelvis. So then I would turn and lie on my right, only to feel little fingers and feet pushing away on that side.

I gained 13 lbs in the four weeks between 18 weeks and 22 weeks. After that I am ashamed to admit that sometimes at night I didn't eat when hungry because I was worried about gaining too much weight.

I never got a good sense of my baby. I thought I would feel more of a connection with her. But I never could get a good read on her. I think now that was because there were two.

Well, I will probably think of more. Good luck! My husband always wanted twins too (though we never had discussed it before). My theory is that he had a vanishing twin. Me, I would prefer to have my babies one at a time, but sometimes I feel that the universe was a bit wiser in that there are lots of reasons twins are really good for me. I just have to work daily on accepting that .
#14 of 27 Old 08-14-2005, 01:44 PM

That was me too. Tristan was only 7 months old when I got pregnant. Barely eating solids. Nursing all night long.

I found out at 32 weeks. I was measuring "big" at 28 weeks but my midwife wasnt overly concerned because my last baby was big. But I had a month to think about it. At 32 weeks we heard 2 heartbeats and got an ultrasound for later in the week.

I also kinda wished I hadn't found out. I went from planning a homebirth to a hospital birth. It was a good hospital birth, but I wanted to be at home.
On the other hand, we wanted to know.

Joline
#15 of 27 Old 08-14-2005, 11:24 PM

OK, so how many of us were nursing when we got pg with twins? Is there something to this? Ds was almost 2 when I got pg and was still nursing at least every 2 hours and tons at night. I also got pg my 4th cycle like someone else said.

Anyway, I found out at 14 weeks when I was measuring 20+ weeks. I had an u/s (which I had not planned on having) and there was 2 in there! I also have kind of wished I had listened to my instincts and not gone in for the u/s because it did cause me to be monitored much more than I would have liked and caused me a lot of stress over where to give birth. I did eventually find a mw that would do it at home, but it took awhile and it was stressful durring that time.
#16 of 27 Old 08-15-2005, 01:29 PM

I got pg with twins on my 3rd cycle while still breastfeeding.
(lucky me to get ppaf at 4 months)
Joline
#17 of 27 Old 09-05-2005, 05:54 PM

I found out at 14 weeks. I had my first ultrasound at 8 weeks and there was only one baby, then at my 14 week ultrasound there were two!! I was also starting to get worried after 3 cycles of TTC that maybe I could not get pregnant since I was still nursing my 2 year old. :LOL

Blessed mama of four
::
#18 of 27 Old 09-06-2005, 04:21 PM

We found out we were expecting the boys at our 12 week u/s. Was a total shock to us as I'd had a quick scan at my 1st midwife appt because they couldnt find a heartbeat using the doppler. She did the scan and just saw one baby (of course she wasnt looking for two LOL) and everything was fine. So when the u/s tech said it was twins, you can imagine our surprise...but it was a true blessing, being the parents of twins is just too cool!!!!
#19 of 27 Old 09-06-2005, 04:29 PM

I found out at 22 weeks, during the routine US. The midwife had noted in my chart, but not mentioned to me, that I was "a little big" when I saw her the week before. I was completely shocked, I thought for sure that if I were having twins that we would have found out earlier. Dh must have sensed something, though, after every pre-natal visit he would ask me if it was twins or not, and when we did our first tour through BRU he went right to the double strollers and said "we'll need one of these if you have twins!".
#20 of 27 Old 09-07-2005, 01:35 AM

I found out at 5 wks because I was bleeding, I went in for lvls and when they were 14000 they wanted to get an u/s and there they were. Funny thing is, the night before I drempt I was at the doc office and was having an u/s and they said "congratulations you have twin sons". I didn't even know I was going to the doctor the next day let alone having an u/s And on top of that, it turns out they are both boys too Sometimes mom just knows I guess

Jessica
#21 of 27 Old 09-08-2005, 02:25 PM

Yeah, sometimes we just know. I had a dream I was having twin girls just after ds was born. When I got pg this time, I was measuring 6-8 weeks ahead and in denial. Dh was calling my tummy roe (as in fish eggs), and insisting on a head count this time. Then I had some serious bleeding and thought I was miscarrying so I went in for an ultrasound (14 weeks). The tech looks around for awhile and I see the baby on the screen looking very floppy, so I didn't watch too much. Then she says" see those two circles, those are heads and they have bodies and beating hearts to match." My dh said "I told you so."

I think I actually lost a third. But I ended up with two gorgeous identical boys!! (now people are starting to talk about triplet girls, sigh. Including me, double sigh)

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#22 of 27 Old 09-19-2005, 05:44 PM

I found out at 5w5d. I had a luteal phase defect and was constantly miscarrying and needed to make sure that the fetus was well attatched to the uterine wall.

Doc: 'We've got a live one!'

Me: 'We finally have one!'

Doc: Actually....

Lo and behold, there they were two little yolk sacs. All my husband could think of was, 'please don't let there be three!'

-Lisa

Waldorf mama to 5yo b/g twins
#23 of 27 Old 09-20-2005, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
At approx 6-7 weeks they did an in-office ultrasound which showed 2 "sacs". I returned 2 weeks later for a more comprehensive ultra-sound -- and it showed 2 "sacs" with 2 hearts beating in 1 sac = triplets!

viola!

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#24 of 27 Old 09-21-2005, 12:04 AM

from a psychic visiting our radio station while ON AIR eight year prior when I was twenty - I laughed and asked for my money back.

but cemented at 7 weeks u/s.
only difference between the twins and our singleton was SHEER EXHAUSTION and thirst.

keep us posted!

Are you using FAM? I saw someone else mention chartsHere's my chart
#25 of 27 Old 09-25-2005, 12:51 AM

I found out at my 20 week ultrasound which happened to be on my 20th birthday. The doc put the scanner on my belly and wiggled it around and then took it off.

He put it back on and said
"the first thing you need to know is....here is a head (scooches scanner) and here is a head.....you're having twins"

It's all a little fuzzy after that.
#26 of 27 Old 10-03-2005, 10:47 PM

with my first set i found out after having very bad nausea..i thought i was dying and went to the hospital (i hate that place). it turned out i was pregnant (7wks5d) with twin girls, they were identical..my second set we were trying but, i assumed that i wouldn't get pg easily because i was still nursing my girls..ha! a boy and a girl this time. i didn't know until i was 12 weeks or so..my consulting midwife had her suspitions and asked if i would mind a quick in office scan... i had no symptoms other than weight gain (and i never check my weight so i didn't see that) with them. anyway, she had the csreen turned tward her and she got this huge grin on her face. my dh asked her what she was grining about and she turned the screen around with out a word...
hubby took the scanner thingie out of her hand and double checked for himself..lol.

i am expecting again and i have the feeling that there is more than one in there,or i could just be having crazy preggo thoughts already..
#27 of 27 Old 10-03-2005, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancymom
I found out at 14 weeks. I had my first ultrasound at 8 weeks and there was only one baby, then at my 14 week ultrasound there were two!! I was also starting to get worried after 3 cycles of TTC that maybe I could not get pregnant since I was still nursing my 2 year old. :LOL
omg nancymom, i ruled out twins despite dreams and feelings because i got an ultrasound at 7 1/2 weeks with one baby. im going in for an ultrasound at 20 weeks so i may be back on this forum.
i came here to get an idea of when twins can be identified or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahloughmiller

OK, so how many of us were nursing when we got pg with twins? Is there something to this? Ds was almost 2 when I got pg and was still nursing at least every 2 hours and tons at night. I also got pg my 4th cycle like someone else said.
actually i ran across a couple of studies that mentioned that conceiving while nursing does indeed raise the chances of fraternal twins because it throws off ovulation and multiple eggs are often released.

well ive got to make dinner...

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page