Amby bed ? with multiples... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-18-2005, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are thinking of buying 2 of these for our twins in the beginning. WE'll keep the Amby beds in our bedroom. I want to sleep with the babies, but until I can trust myself to be a light sleeper, then I'm not sure I want them in the bed with me.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to get your success and failure stories with the Amby bed product.

How long was your baby able to stay in the Amby bed?

Did you find the Amby bed really was good at getting the babies to sleep, etc..

Is it easy to get your babies in and out of the Amby bed for breastfeeding, etc?

Would you leave your baby in the Amby bed and leave the room for a shower or bathroom break?

Thanks all! I think I may post this on the main board too.

Christy S inTX aka BodoGirl
Due Nov 2005
1st time momma to B/G twins
plan to :bf: and :
#2 of 5 Old 08-19-2005, 01:46 AM

No experience here with the amby, but I loved my Arm's Reach Co-sleeper. For the first 6 week so I kept the twins in the bed next to me since they didn't move. But then I moved them into the full, original size Arm's REach co-sleeper that sets up next to your bed. I put it at the foot of the bed and slept with my head down where your feet usually go since it was easier for me to get out of bed that way without moving the nightstand away from it's usual place. We slept like that for several months and it was very successful b/c I could put my hand over a baby while sleeping and they never even knew that their bed wasn't my bed. When they were about 3 months old they would move around too much and wake the other one up so I moved 1 baby into the bed with me and the other in the Arm's Reach co-sleeper and would swap them out every other night to be *fair*. After about 6 months they both were in my bed and now at 25 months I have real cribs set up without the front panel and they are pushed up to the edge of my bed, one at the side and one at the foot of the bed and the babies sleep in their respective cribs that are really just extensions of the bed but if they want to they come up to sleep right next to me. Usually they don't bother me until about 5 a.m. so I get some really good sleep for a few hours before having twins all over me in the bed. Dr. Sears calls this the *sidecar arrangement* and it works for us really well. I got one of the cribs from a local cosignment shop for $90 and the other was a handmedown from a friend, so the whole thing has been very inexpensive and now finally they usually sleep thru the night. Hey, have a great time and do whatever gets you the most SLEEP. It really helps to get whatever sleep you can to be a great mama. {{{{hugs}}}}
#3 of 5 Old 08-19-2005, 02:15 PM

:
#4 of 5 Old 08-22-2005, 10:33 PM

I didn't know about the AMBY when I had my twins, but I'm definitely planning to get one for our next baby. I've read such great things. My guys never napped well when they weren't in a sling, so I think that the Amby would have worked really well for them.

I think almost every mama worries before having a baby that she won't be a light enough sleeper to cosleep in the bed with her baby. I know I did, anyway. We ended up using moses baskets on top of our bed for a couple of days until I realized that I wasn't worried about rolling over on the babes and spooned them instead. So, I just wanted to say that that is a totally normal fear and that it will most likely go away very soon after your babies arrive.

If I were you, I would get ONE amby bed now, and then wait and see how it works for you and your babies before investing in a second one. They are expensive and non-returnable. You won't be getting much sleep in the first couple weeks regardless, so it won't be horrible to have to wait for a second AMBY to arrive if you decide that you do want two. And, if your babies are small, they may be able to share one AMBY in the beginning. Some twins are really comforted by being right next to each other. . . mine couldn't seem to care less, but my BF's newborn identical twins are instantly soothed by each other's presence. But since you have no idea what kind of babies you'll have--maybe you'll luck out and get the totally mellow and easily soothed, good-sleeping kind--I'd wait to buy a second AMBY until you're sure it would help.

Also, just thought I'd mention that Ebay is a great place to get gently, barely used AMBY beds. . . since they aren't returnable, I often see them posted on ebay after getting very little, if any, use.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#5 of 5 Old 08-23-2005, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

I did end up getting 2 Amby beds from Amby at a discount.

Well, I think these were beds that had been returned. I'm thinking of them as refurbished.

At the very worst, I'll keep one bed in the living room and the other in our bedroom.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I like the side car thing, but our bedroom is small by todays standards and I'm running out of room in there.

So, we'll see what happens.

Thanks again,

Christy S in TX aka Bodo Girl!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page