putting twins back into a crib???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2005, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI everybody I need some advise. I am so tired and exausted about the way I put my boys to sleep. They are 20 months and I have done attachment parenting until then.They are still nursed day and night but now I thikn I have hit my limit and I am about to go to the dartk side.It makes me sad but my boysa re now at an age where they do not understand no and it is time to sleep and laugh in my face and it is absically a fight party call it waht you want with me in the middle trying to wrestle them down to sleep. I have tried to lye them down and walk away but now they get out of there twins beds and laugh and think it is a game.I ahve no way of restraining them and let them realize that itis over.

To make a short story I use to rock them to sleep in a fisher price little bouncy chair but at around 14 months it did not work so I purchase twin beds put them on the floor and would lye with them or rub their bellies taht use to take about 15-30 ,minutes and they were asleep after they had nursed. Now it seems that they are getting more mischievious and do not wnat to sleep and I can be an hour at nap time trying to put them down. I have another daughter to get to sleep so she has to wait.

We have been at our cottage for 3 weeks and I am thinking to put them back in there crib actually they have never slept in it it will be a change of routine and nursing them and reading some books kissinhg them and putting them in hte crib and leaving and doing the 5 m inutes routine until they fall asleep I know it will be brutal nut i feel I am at the end of my rope and I am tired of spending all my spare evening time putting them to sleep. I love cuddling with htem but not my hwole evening and anywya they are back in my bed after there first awakening which is around midnight anyway.

I am sorry I ahd to vent and would greatly appreciate a response or comments or suggestions on how to handle busy twin toddlers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2005, 12:23 AM

I would worry at that age that they could get out of the cribs and fall.

Sorry I don't have any great advice.

-Angela
Old 08-26-2005, 01:03 AM

I also think they might be too big to be safely comfined in a crib.
My twins are 22 months old and they sleep in two toddler beds and after their bedtime routine I leave and close the door. It has a knob cover and their room is childproof. So they can play until they fall asleep if necessary but it is like one big crib!
Old 08-26-2005, 05:03 AM

Oh this age is hard! I put a baby gate up in my daughters door way that way I was able to hear them but they couldn't leave making the room the crib like someone else said. I had to put the toys in the closet and lock that at sleep times so they just had their stuffies and each other. I had to make sure the dressers were secure so they couldn't tip them over on them selves. They got into the routine of going to the door with me and giving me a kiss and standing to watch me walk down the hall then they would go and lay down and talk. Once I took away the fight they relaxed and just went to sleep.

It is hard when you start the routine of getting them to sleep. I hope they don't break youk before they learn. This can be so hard, times two. Remember to make the room safe and then if need be go and look at your flowers outside. I often left the noise so I wasn't made crazy by the fact that they were still playing half and hour later.

let us know how it goes, remember this passes, and then new stages come to make us nuts
Old 08-27-2005, 01:32 AM

I agree with the pp - I don't think it would be safe to put them in a crib, either. For us (my twins are toddlers, too,) we go through our night time routine and if they aren't asleep when I put them in their room, the can play and whatever until they fall asleep. We have a gate we put across their doorway if needed. We used it once and they freaked out about being contained, so we just tell them they have to stay in their room and they generally do - occasionally reminding them.. they think they are getting away with somthing by staying up and playing... Once they're passed out cold, we move them into their beds if they fall asleep on the floor clutching toys - lol! Once I gave up trying to control them going to sleep and letting go, I was much calmer about it!

I don't know if you can manage it with your other child, but I've found that night time book reading and/or quiet video time winds them down and sets a quieter/sleepier mode for nighttime.. I've found that getting my kids to associate things with sleep other than my nursing and laying down with them makes my life easier - just hard to implement and change.. we have blankets we use and pacifiers - the pacifiers were a mistake I realize now - but were a transition from mom-pacifier to sleeping without me.. just gotta find a way to get rid of them now

User Tag List