did you make your twins names go together? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 08-28-2005, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I named my girls Emma-Jane and Eliza`Beth both e's and both double names. I wish I hadn't done it now. When I had my son three years later I didn't want him left out of the e thing and named him Edan, then I was stuck with the kids that followed. Esik was 18 months after Edan then Ellanor followed him.

Anyone else do a theme for their twins names? What do you think about it now? I fear my children get listed in the phone book. It will be four E ____-_____. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 08-29-2005, 12:37 AM

Picking the right names was a huge dilemma for us for a while! I'm still happy with what I chose because in some ways they are similar (both one syllable first names with a "double meaning" and both 3 syllable middle names from the family and starting with "E".) I like that they are compatable, but also very different... just like the girls' personalities! However I am tiring of people always thinking that one of them is "Hope".

Brooke: a glass~blowin' hand~drummin' tree~huggin' home~birthin' earth~lovin' goddess~mama of 3!
#3 of 32 Old 08-29-2005, 12:56 AM

We had boy girl twins and used the first names we already had picked out, Aidan for a boy and Branwyn for a girl.
We did however choose their middle names to show their twinship.
Aidan Luke and Branwyn Leia.
I am still very happy with our choice.
Their first names still go well with our other kids names. Tristan and Meghann.
joline
#4 of 32 Old 08-29-2005, 01:04 AM

Yes we did the theme thing too. Both girls names start with F and end with A. For us it just happened that way the two names were some of the few we could agree on. Our #1 name was voted against by my mom, step-mom, and DH's mom so we decited not to go there.
#5 of 32 Old 08-29-2005, 03:25 AM

All 5 of our children's first names start with M and middle names start with J. We kept that for the twins.

single mama to 5 (12.5, 11, 10, and 8 year old twins)

#6 of 32 Old 08-29-2005, 09:08 AM

Nope, we just chose 2 names that we liked. All of my girls have 1 syllable middle names, but that is all that is similar. Well, I guess they all have old names.
#7 of 32 Old 08-29-2005, 09:32 AM

Their names do start with the same letter, but we weren't specifically going for that. Before we found out we were having twins we had decided on Ashlyn Marie for a girl. When we found out we were having 2 girls we originally thought we'd just use our 2nd choice girls name which was Camden Lynn but somehow the more I said Ashlyn & Camden together the more I found them to be a tongue twister, so we went back to the drawing board for a 2nd name. We finally decided on Alexandria Lynn because it was the only name we could agree on LOL. But we call her Lexie so in current day to day life they don't appear to "match".

At this point we don't have plans to have anymore kids, but if we did I wouldn't feel it was necessary to continue the A theme, especially since we don't call Lexie by her A name.
#8 of 32 Old 08-29-2005, 10:21 AM

I have boy/girl twins, so I just used the names that I had picked out for a single girl or boy baby...Malaika & Isaiah. So...nope, they don't match at all! :LOL
#9 of 32 Old 08-29-2005, 12:56 PM

No. We just picked names we liked & their middle names are family names (from each side, so they're different).
#10 of 32 Old 08-29-2005, 01:56 PM

My mom wanted names that went well together so she chose to names with the same endings....so we ended up with twin girls named Terrace and Candace. Similar sounding but not too rhyming.
#11 of 32 Old 08-29-2005, 02:10 PM

Nope - no matching although middle names of all our children are family names. The names all have the same feel to them, traditional, a bit Irish sounding.

We did the divide and conquer approach for the names. DH picked one and I picked the other.

Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#12 of 32 Old 08-29-2005, 02:34 PM

We didn't pick names that "matched" or rhymed, but we did pick names that sounded strong and traditional (at least we think so!). Katharine was the name we had picked when pregnant with our DS, and we knew we wanted to use that. For a while, we were going to use Elizabeth for the other name, but at the end switched to Olivia (which fits her perfectly). We used middle names for family names.

One of our friends, though, still calls the girls Cilantro and Coriander (the same, but somehow different!). And our son calls them Bo and Shep
#13 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 02:35 PM

I wanted them NOT to go too much together. But at the same time use names that I (uhh...WE :LOL ) love. All my kids names are family names that I loved first and secondly had the nice association with our family. My first born was a boy (Dominic) but if he was a girl he probably would of been Caterina. So Caterina was in top list when preg again. But when found out it was 2 girls we couldn't just pick top 2 name - since I happen to love names ending in ena/ina. So the next names in the list were Josephina, and Angelena, and a few others. Too much ryhming for me. In the end we ditched Caterina for this round of babes and went with Angelena and Josephine. The 'ine' instead of 'ina' on the end of Josephine made it a bit better. What I love is that their nicknames don't sound the same - Josie and Lena.

I do still love Caterina for the next girl though! I wish it didn't sound so similar!!

Oh btw middle names are Josephine Louise and Angelena Simone.
#14 of 32 Old 08-31-2005, 02:46 PM

Nope.

Eden Alexandra and Avery Hannah. We just chose names we liked.
#15 of 32 Old 08-31-2005, 04:26 PM

Yes they "go" together but not in a matchy-matchy (rhyming etc.) way at all. They are family names, do not rhyme, do not start with the same letter, do not share phonemes or like sounds, don't even have the same number of syllables, but yes, they go together.

fwiw, all of the other posters who also picked names that "don't" go together all seemed to pick names that imo DO go together just not in an obvious way. They all represent the same cultural context.

I think it'd be cool to meet someone who has a Moon Unit and an Emily.
#16 of 32 Old 08-31-2005, 04:51 PM

My mom didnt even have twins but she had 4 daughters and we all have "ine" ending names. And middle names starting with the letter "D" AND to top it off, the oldest girl has a middle name with one syllable, the second has two syllables. And lucky me, I have a four syllable D starting middle name to match.
I have always loved the way my mom did this and have loved my name.
I used to want to have matching names for all my kids. Before meeting Dh I was planning on going with all "M" names. But we ended up with different names of similar origin ending with the "N" sound.
Joline
#17 of 32 Old 09-01-2005, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I found naming multiples to be hard too! We had an older son already. I purposefully picked names for the babies that did not rhyme or all start with the same letter or anything -- yet I wanted the names to all sound "good together"??? Why that matters - I'm not sure! Its also so subjective - but the names sounded good together to me, so I guess that's what matters!

I think your "e" names are beautiful - and unique. Don't regret it.

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#18 of 32 Old 09-01-2005, 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=Periwinkle](we're kind of boring people lol).

Hey Periwinkle --

With three under 3 -- there is NO WAY your family is boring!

This from a four kidz 3 years and under mom! Would love to hear from anyone else out there with a super-sized, super young family!

#19 of 32 Old 09-01-2005, 05:49 PM

I now have three three and under. But for about 8 months I had 3 under 2!!! Thank heavens those days are over! LOL
JOline
#20 of 32 Old 09-01-2005, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripMom
Hey Periwinkle -- With three under 3 -- there is NO WAY your family is boring! This from a four kidz 3 years and under mom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johub
I now have three three and under. But for about 8 months I had 3 under 2!!!
Wow! And I thought my "3 under 3" (for 3 months...now it's 3 age 3 and under as per siggie ) was impressive, lol!!

Quote:
Thank heavens those days are over! LOL
Amen to that. Seriously interesting couple of months we had there for a while! I love my kids to bits but lord have mercy...
#21 of 32 Old 09-01-2005, 10:57 PM

We just chose names we liked: Ava Rose and Genevieve Renee. Of course, the first thing my mom said was, "We can call them Ava & Evie!" Of course, it stuck.
#22 of 32 Old 09-02-2005, 11:09 AM

I wanted my girls' names to flow but not to sound too "twinsy". My oldest dd is Haven so I also wanted names that went well with her name. My girls are Lillie and Faith. All three of my children have family middle names.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#23 of 32 Old 09-05-2005, 01:22 PM

We wanted to choose names that sounded good together, but that weren't exactly "twinny." It actually was pretty much a coincidence that the names do sort-of sound good together because we named Jasper a month before we named Lukas (while they were still in utero), and both names were suggested by friends and both times we thought, "oh, yeah!" right away. I like how Lukas and Jasper both have the "as" but in different parts of the name. We won't continue that tradition for our next baby, but his/her name (we're already pretty sure what it will be even though we haven't conceived yet, lol) does sound good together with Luke and Jaz's names.

Other twins in our life:

Zane and Jaiden
Zoe and Jessie
Elijah and Aryeh
Lila and Josie
Lena and Addie
Henry and Eleanor
Michael and Gracie
Grace and Emma
Wren and Plum
Hollin and Tristan
Calla and Larkin
Linea and Tor
Maya and Sam

They all do seem to "go together" in one way or another. . .

Fun thread!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#24 of 32 Old 09-06-2005, 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=TripMom
This from a four kidz 3 years and under mom! Would love to hear from anyone else out there with a super-sized, super young family![/QUOTE]

Hi there - For about a week I had 3 under 1 1/2 yrs! My ds turned 18 mos when my twin dds turned 1 week 1 day old!! Now that they are older I have '3 under 3'. And one day hope for a 4th (or 4th and 5th :LOL )!
#25 of 32 Old 09-06-2005, 04:17 PM

Nope, we didnt do a theme of sorts. But, wanted biblical names for both boys...so we decided on Gabriel & Nathaniel. What's funny is both their middle names start with the letter "A" which was totally not on purpose, we just happen to like the middle names we chose, so now the boys full names are...Gabriel Anthony & Nathaniel Adam.
#26 of 32 Old 09-16-2005, 02:50 AM

All the boys in my ex's family have had the same initals (JMD) for the last 200 or so years so we ended up with Jared Micheal, Jordan Mathew, & John Maximus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle
I think it'd be cool to meet someone who has a Moon Unit and an Emily.
On this subject I went to high school with Native American twins named Gahaineina & Becky. Their dad wanted a traditional NA name and mom wanted a western name so they each named one.
#27 of 32 Old 09-20-2005, 11:42 PM

nope - wanted to make them sound completely different for the ease of yelling out into the forest

Here is their names page

What we didnt realize is that we unintentionally gave them bizarre initials....OKMK and QTMK
okay, mmkay and cutie, mmkay.

Maya
#28 of 32 Old 09-21-2005, 01:47 PM

sorry - wrong thread

#29 of 32 Old 09-21-2005, 03:05 PM

Both our b/g twins have "L" as a first name (Lloyd & Lydia), but it was not our intention to have identical lettered names. Lloyd was named after a favorite relative and Lydia was just a name that DH liked and I really had no say in the matter, but it fits her like a glove.

One thing that did turn out to somewhat intentional was that both of their names have the initals L.E.G. So we have two LEGs in the family and DH was an avid marathon runner!

Waldorf mama to 5yo b/g twins
#30 of 32 Old 09-21-2005, 04:43 PM

My twins have similar middle names: Justice and Jackson. Both are names of ancestors.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page