if you had a vaginal multiple birth... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 08-30-2005, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just out of curiosity... How many minutes apart were your babies' births? Where was your firstborn while you birthed your second?

Brooke: a glass~blowin' hand~drummin' tree~huggin' home~birthin' earth~lovin' goddess~mama of 3!
#2 of 33 Old 08-30-2005, 03:01 AM

My twins were 39 minutes apart.
I held and nursed my ds for a short while before labor started up again.
THen he went to dh and then MIL to hold. When MIL had him the nurses bullied her into putting him into the baby warmer because he was getting cold.
I yelled while pushing "why isnt somebody holding that BABY!!!!" I was ticked.
But it's not like MIL could have taken off her shirt and done some kangaroo care right there during the birth..
I made sure I had 3 birth assistants.
My doula to make sure my needs were met. My dh and My MIL to each take charge of a baby so that nobody did anything we didnt want or take them anywhere.
Joline
#3 of 33 Old 08-30-2005, 10:04 AM

My boys were 16 minutes apart. They were 8 weeks early so while twin B was being born, twin A was getting some breathing help. Then once twin B was born, twin A came to visit me for a minute on the way to NICU.
#4 of 33 Old 08-30-2005, 03:35 PM

Mine were seven minutes apart.

I briefly held Katharine right after she was born but then Olivia started to come out with both feet and a fist. A nurse took Katharine and I focused on pushing.... the OB tucked her hand back up and Olivia was born feet first. She needed a bit of help breathing, so the nurses brough Katharine back to me while she was being cared for... and then not long after I had both. The nurses helped me tandem breastfeed within 90 minutes!
#5 of 33 Old 08-30-2005, 05:09 PM

Marshall was born first. The drs did a quick u/s and found that Luke had turned sideways(what they fear in vag twin births) The OB made a quick decision to try to turn him, but this did not work, so he pulled Lukey out by his feet, 15 minutes after his brother was born. I am so grateful that the dr decided not to do a c sec, he was on call and my reg ob was on holiday, she would have definately done a section.
During Lukes birth, Marsgall was 15 ft away getting wrapped in blankets.
Luke had a very difficult start, his apgar was 3 and he took a long time to start breathing, dh and I were both crying and the nurses tried to distract us with Marshall.
#6 of 33 Old 08-30-2005, 09:25 PM

I delivered my daughters at 29 wks, in a operating room. I had a forced spinal and I was glad for it after the fact. My twin B went into distress in untero and so twin A was vacuumed out and then my OB reached his hand into my birth canal and pulled twin B out by her feet. They were one minute apart, barely. My Ob worked fast and still my my twin B was born with apgars of 0 and then 5 minutes later 2.

Emma was rushed to a baby table beside me to be worked on since she was so premature. Eliza was put on a table near her after her birth. I was able to see both the tables from my place on the birthing table/bed. It was yucky being in the OR but I was close to my kids at least.
#7 of 33 Old 08-31-2005, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding... I had apretty good birth experience, but it always bothered me a little that I couldn't hold dd1 while delivering dd2, and also had to cut the cords right away. My girls are 20 min. apart, and #1 was put on my chest after birth, but only for a minute, and #2 not until she was wrapped and all. But I was nursing both of them within the hour, so I should be grateful!

Thanks for helping me feel better about the things I cannot change!

Brooke: a glass~blowin' hand~drummin' tree~huggin' home~birthin' earth~lovin' goddess~mama of 3!
#8 of 33 Old 09-02-2005, 05:40 AM

80 minutes. My daughter was on my husbands chest, behind me, while I squatted and birthed her brother.
#9 of 33 Old 09-02-2005, 11:04 AM

My girls are 47 minutes apart. I delivered them both in the OR because Baby B was breech. I delivered Lillie (Baby A) and was able to hold her for maybe 2 minutes. They wanted to get Faith (Baby B) turned to a head down position as quickly as possible. Lillie stayed with us in the room while they turned Faith and also while I pushed her out. The Ped was there and was checking her out, etc. while I was pushing. Faith was successfully turned and was born head first. I held her a few minutes and then she was taken too for a quick once over. They nursed within an hour but not as soon as I wanted them to. Next baby will be a whole different story.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#10 of 33 Old 09-02-2005, 11:12 AM

Mine were 6 mins. apart and Cyrus was being checked over while I had Cole.
#11 of 33 Old 09-03-2005, 12:04 AM

You'll see in my sig line, mine were 6 hours 40 minutes apart. The oldest nursed a bunch while we waited and labored with Isabella(who I can tell you takes her time at everything she does!!!) I think my mom was holding Amelie when Isabella was born. The most beautiful thing to me is that Amelie went to sleep and let Isabella nurse and bond the rest of the night with me. It was so sweet. Amelie was born in the AM and Bella in the PM. I wish they were born different days, that would've been so cool!!!
#12 of 33 Old 09-03-2005, 05:01 PM

My twins were born 27 minutes apart. My son was born vertex. I was on my hands and knees/semi-squatting in my bathroom, birthed him into my hands, and placed him on the floor in front of me while I rubbed on him. I think I had at least 15 minutes of holding him and being with him before contractions started again for my daughter. In the meantime, I had cut his cord and given him to my husband because I felt I needed him warm and I was starting to be focused again on my labor. Then, my daughter was born in the bathroom also, a footling breech, very quickly.

I didn't nurse them until after she was born. Then, they nursed together for the first time.
#13 of 33 Old 09-04-2005, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

mum2lillie...that sounds absolutely beautiful. What a lucky babe to be able to take her time, and then to get 1 on 1 time with both babes... how perfect!

and to Mindyleigh....WOW! This says it all.........

#14 of 33 Old 09-06-2005, 06:45 PM

My boys were born 2 1/2 hours after my water broke. They were three minutes apart. Baby A was head first, and Baby B was breech delivery butt first. I didn't tear at all. I had to deliver in an OR due to high risk and I only got to see them for a few seconds before each was taken to the Level III NICU.
#15 of 33 Old 09-11-2005, 11:00 PM

The boys were 20 minutes apart.
Sam was born at 2:34pm. He was vertex. Jack was born at 2:54pm. He had been transverse, but turned head down (yay!) after Sam was born. I got to see both of them briefly before they were taken to the NICU. They were born at 34 weeks.

Tracy
mama to Sam & Jack 19 months old
edd #3 10/12/05
#16 of 33 Old 09-14-2005, 01:18 PM

4 minutes apart.

Does anyone tell your kids which was born first? We haven't told them--each wants to be the first, so he can be "the Oldest' and therefore "the boss" . . .
#17 of 33 Old 09-14-2005, 01:32 PM

My twins were born 7 minutes apart. (at 35 weeks 6 days)

I delivered in the hospital, in the OR. I amazed the staff though by going without any pain meds whatsoever. I did have pit as my tired, old uterus just was not able to contract effectively no matter what we tried.

Baby A, Livia, came first and went to the NICU for about 2 hours as she had a bit of trouble breathing at first.

Baby B, Caleb, after a quick u/s scan was shown trying to come with both arms over his head. My doctor reached in there, moved his arms down and had me push hard and fast (as if I didn't want him out NOW! LOL) to get him down enough that he could not raise his arms again as he was trying to do. I remember asking if it was too late for an epi at that point.

Caleb spent about an hour in the NICU too for the same reason as LIvia.

After Livia was born, I had that sense of relief that one gets when it is all over and the baby is out. Then I remembered I was having twins and yelled "Oh sh*t! I have to do that again!" Everyone was cracking up over that.

Both babies were on my stomach briefly after their births but started retracting so off to the NICU they went.

Once they came back to me, they were together all the time. I never used the isolettes much to the dismay of the on call ped. But that is a whole nother subject.

Janis

:
#18 of 33 Old 09-15-2005, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

I am just loving these stories... at the time my OB made me feel like I was the only woman who ever wanted to give birth to twins naturally and without drugs!!
When my girls were born, we were in a small delivery "suite" packed shoulder-to-shoulder with dis-beleiving onlookers... 2 OBs, 4 nurses, my midwife, my 2 sisters, the pediatrician, the sonographer and his ultrasound machine, my mother(who had all 4 of her kids cesarian style) and, of course, my loving dh. I later found out that this was the first natural twin birth at that hospital in over 5 years, and the only one without drugs!
I don't know if that should make me feel proud, or sad for all those under -educated mamas before me.

Oh, and we haven't told them whose oldest yet...it just hasn't come up yet, but I guess we'll decide what to say when the time comes!

#19 of 33 Old 09-15-2005, 01:13 PM

I don't have twins just a fetish! I have wished for twins each time. I was at my friends twin birth and they were both head first and born 5 h apart in a hospital.

Kiya- Mama to 3 growing Son's. Waldorf joy.gifDoula  hug.gif  Making Recycled Woolens and Trainers every spare moment.
#20 of 33 Old 09-16-2005, 08:30 PM

Mine were 15 minutes appart. I held the 1st for a few minutes and gave him to dh to birth the 2nd.
#21 of 33 Old 09-18-2005, 10:31 AM

5 minutes - baby B was guided into place externally & i kept pushing. meanwhile, baby A was being checked out by the neonatologists, etc. across the room - they had TTTS, so it was a high risk hospital birth, etc.
#22 of 33 Old 10-05-2005, 11:50 AM

12 Minutes between my boys. They were born in week 35, so I could only have a quick look at tw1, before they took him to check him up.
After tv2 was born, I held them for a few minutes, but they vas transported to the Newborn intensive care unit.
Here in Norway most twins are born naturally.
Only in cases of complications, a c-section is preferred.
#23 of 33 Old 10-05-2005, 03:47 PM

Not sure if I "count" or not but Baby A was born completely naturally, no meds at all, and Baby B then immediately became very malpositioned and would not turn and his heart rate started plummeting, so he came out by emergency c-section 20 minutes later.
#24 of 33 Old 10-05-2005, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Of course you count, periwinkle! How difficult it must have been to recover from both a vaginal birth and a c-section while taking care of newborn twins!

#25 of 33 Old 10-18-2005, 01:47 AM

My little boys were six minutes apart in our bathroom. I pushed for 15 minutes Rowan(8lbs) was born first, it feels like I barely had time to look at him before Edwyn came flying out. He was smaller than his brother (6lbs 11oz) blue with a knot in his cord but soon after my midwife gave him oxygen he was great. Being able to give birth to my babies at home was wonderful i think that knowing I would be at home helped me carry my babies as long as I did(41weeks), it gave me a sense of calm and empowerment at the same time.
#26 of 33 Old 10-22-2005, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I met Jay and Marjorie Hathaway at a convention in 1985. They do educational health videos in addition to Bradley. I had read in Dr. Mendelsohn's newsletter that they had just TRIED to video tape the vaginal birth of twins in the hospital.

The case they had was a woman whose twins were diagnosed by two ultrasound scans...on film, the nurse had drawn pictures of how the two babies were lying.

So the Hathaways videotaped the birth of ... one baby!

There was only one baby. A big baby, but one baby!

And the placenta did not cry!

So even though this was 20 years ago and the technology is better, mistakes are made, no one is perfect, least of all doctors.

BTW, the Hathaways packed up and went to recovery to congratulate the new mother. They asked at the desk where the mother was who was supposed to have twins, but only had one baby. The desk had no one described that way, since the records had been already changed by the staff on the way from the delivery room to recovery...yes, that fast.
#27 of 33 Old 11-03-2005, 12:31 AM

I birthed my MZ twins 2 hours apart. I had Baby A for a nurse and cuddle after she was born. Dh and my midwife held her while I was birthing Baby B.

The details are a bit foggy (do I even want to remember everything?) but both my babes were born healthy. This I am grateful for.

mum2lillie - Wow, 6+ hours apart! Go mama and babies! Great story - such lovely birthing bliss!
#28 of 33 Old 11-13-2005, 11:41 AM

9 minutes - I had 1st on me until midwife told me I had another baby coming!! What?!! I gotta push again??? Then dh held him.
#29 of 33 Old 11-15-2005, 02:36 PM

Wow! great stories.
My twins are 12 yo now and it still seems like a week ago they were born. 47 minutes apart, the little one came first and in a military hospital in Okinawa, Japan so I didn't have much say in the birthing process. I did convince the OB to not do an episiotomy since I didn't have one with the first and she was 8 lbs 2 oz. I didn't get to hold either one until much later. I didn't get any milk so I couldn't breastfeed either. Of course once we got home it seemed like a baby holding maration - I miss that.
#30 of 33 Old 11-15-2005, 05:37 PM

My babes were 12 mins apart. When I felt ready to push #2 I handed #1 to a family member.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page