Mama having 1 set of fraternal and 1 set ID - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-06-2005, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I met a family at the park that had a boy/girl set of twins and then a MZ set of boys!! I thought the odds of that must be pretty slim!! How wonderful they get to experience both!!

It seems I find more and more moms that are having 2 sets of identical. I know 2 sets of fraternal are more likely but maybe there is something to being more predisposed to having MZ twins afterall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-11-2005, 01:44 AM

i had twins 2 1/2 years ago and now and pregnant. everyone asks how likely is it for me to have another set. i read that having twins for anyone is 2%. but if you have already had twins then its 1/16. this comes from a friend who has twins. i love my twins and i wouldnt die if i had another set but i was hoping for a singleton this time, you know a little brake!!!

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#3 of 9 Old 09-11-2005, 03:29 AM

I think that I read if you have frat twins you are more likely to have another set of frat twins, but if you have ID twins you are no more likely than anyone else to have another set. I dont know much about it, anyone here not know if their twins are frat or ID? My boys are in seperate sacs (di di) and they are both males, so it could go either way, I wonder if we will be able to tell at birth?
#4 of 9 Old 09-16-2005, 02:41 AM

There is a new study at John Hopkins that suggests that MZ twinning may also be genetic. I had stillborn ID boys (born at 21 weeks) and my next pregnancy was my fraternal boys. My father was a ID twin and his mother was a frat triplet and I have a set of ID sisters so it seems that both ID and Frat twins run in my family.
#5 of 9 Old 09-16-2005, 02:50 AM

Either ID twins are genetic or I really need to get my dh to buy more lottery tickets. His mom is one of 8 girls. The last 4 are 2 sets of ID twins. (there was also a set of boy twins, probably id, stillborn) Okay- his mom (ID twin) had twins (my dh and his twin) one of the OTHER set of ID twins (dh's aunt, but not his mom's twin, one of the other set) had ID twins.

DH's twin had fraternal twins..... just to end the cycle

-Angela
#6 of 9 Old 09-16-2005, 10:41 AM

There are lots of interesting little twinning tidbits over at NOMOTC if you haven't ever read over there before.
#7 of 9 Old 09-20-2005, 11:49 PM

I love researching the phenomenon of multiples...I get into the WIERDEST conversations at parks and markets with twins parents regarding how/why/when twins occur.
Made me start to find out the statistics.
#8 of 9 Old 09-21-2005, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

WOW! MZ twins possible genetic!! Very interesting! I'd love to see any studies on this!
#9 of 9 Old 09-21-2005, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page