did anyone measure a bit bigger than normal but not a HUGE amount more and have twins - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-08-2005, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
im measuring about 3 weeks ahead of what i should be, and i have no proof but for some reason i cant get out of my head that im having twins.. this baby(s) is very active, but so was my son.. and i never ever wondered or thought i was having twins with him.. its not something that is genetic in my family and i dont know why i would think about it so much if there wasnt some truth to it. i feel intuative that way.. i havn't had an ultrasound, or used the doppler for heartbeat, and my midwives havn't said anything about me measuring big except for "another big growth spurt" and stuff like that.. and im kind of embarrased to ask.. what do you think?

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#2 of 14 Old 09-08-2005, 11:41 PM

Fern, my doctor noticed I was measuring big at 14 weeks but I don't remember how much. At 19 weeks I was measuring 2 weeks ahead and at 22 weeks I was measuring 4 weeks ahead. Your mother's intuition could be right! It doesn't hurt to ask.

Blessed mama of four
::
#3 of 14 Old 09-08-2005, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

its just so weird.. ive never really thought about having twins.. i mean if i did id love them,but im kinda scared at the thought as well....other symptoms = early fetal movement, lots of morning sickness, way more tired than my first pregnancy, more backpain, tail bone pain, round ligament pain... and my belly seems to me to be growing at an alarming tae, which i know is normal at 3o weeks :LOL

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#4 of 14 Old 09-09-2005, 12:30 AM

I dont know exactly how big I was measuring, but not enough to really suspect anything till about 28 weeks.
My last baby had been very big and my midwife just assumed I was having another big baby.
It never was mentioned once how big I was measuring till 28 weeks.
Joline
#5 of 14 Old 09-09-2005, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

hmm interesting... thanks.. it makes me feel less crazy to be wondering.. ive been measuring between 2 and 4 weeks bigger, depending on the apointment and im sure of my dates..

Quote:

#6 of 14 Old 09-09-2005, 01:26 AM

Most of the time with this pregnancy (twins) I have measured at least 6 weeks bigger. Sometimes 7. I had no m/s or anything that would have suggested twins, until I found out at 14 weeks. You could be right, listen to your instincts!! Good Luck!
#7 of 14 Old 09-09-2005, 12:15 PM

I'm not sure what I was measuring at 30 weeks, but I know that I had outgrown all the size M and size L shirts that I could find, nothing would cover my belly.

I didn't measure big at first, but by 22-23 weeks I was measuring 28 weeks, and the difference just got bigger from there.

With my 2nd pregnancy (singleton) I measured 2-4 weeks ahead at various times during the pregnancy and most of the time it was easy to tell that the baby's position was making a difference.

One other thing regarding movement - at 30 weeks the girls' movements had slowed down dramatically. They never moved as much as singleton anyway, but after about 27-28 weeks they were just so squished that all I would feel would be gentle kicks and pokes, definitely no fetal gymnastics like the next two did. I don't know if this is true for everyone, though.
#8 of 14 Old 09-09-2005, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

hmm.. thanks.. i have noticed that this pregnancy feels different in terms of those flips. i dont feel them very often.. more kicks and jabbs and flutters down low and under my ribbs, but elwynn was always flipping all over the place and my whole belly would move with him, i havnt felt that with this one more than a few times in the last few months

Quote:

#9 of 14 Old 09-09-2005, 02:37 PM

I only measured a little bigger. Late in my pregnancy my doc even commented that they probably never would have suspected had we not had an ultrasound. I also had "feelings" about twins before knowing. i knew I was gaining weight faster and measuring bigger than i did with my two previous pregnancies so wondered. But it was never big enough for the midwife to suspect twins. She did use a doppler and found one heartbeat right away so never moved it around checking for more. In hindsight I think she found the heartbeat so quickly because there were two in there! With my singleton pregnancies, the doc always had to hunt for a minute or two early in the pregnancy.
#10 of 14 Old 09-10-2005, 06:23 AM

Well, I have been measuring 11 weeks ahead since 17 weeks, but I am just huge and will have big babies. As far as the movement, I think ds was much more active than these guys. I don't know if it is lack of space or if they are just more mellow than he is. As far as having that feeling, I did have it and did not want to admit it, but when I thought about the baby I always thought babies not baby from the time I found out I was pregnant.
#11 of 14 Old 09-11-2005, 01:25 AM

i measured 4 weeks ahead for most of my pregnancy. i was twice as sick!! that was one big red flag. but my midwife laughed and thought i was crazy since it was my second she said my belly just popped out sooner and that it was normal. i joked with her as i lay down to get my ultrasound and heard her gasp...........twins!!!

intuition means a lot. i would have her listen for two heartbeats or if you are not against it then get a quick ultrasound. Or just wait and wonder. but i am not good at that at all!!! good luck

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#12 of 14 Old 09-11-2005, 03:33 AM

I felt like I knew it was twins right after they were conceived, then dark positive lines convinced me lol Then I drempt about the night before an unexpected u/s (i was having an u/s and they said-in my dream-congrats you are having twin boys!). And sure enough I was. Mommas know I think! At 26 wks I was measuring 4 wks ahead but 28 and 30 wks I was measureing 8 wks ahead. Maybe you should just mention it? good luck!
#13 of 14 Old 09-11-2005, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faythe
- at 30 weeks the girls' movements had slowed down dramatically. They never moved as much as singleton anyway, but after about 27-28 weeks they were just so squished that all I would feel would be gentle kicks and pokes, definitely no fetal gymnastics like the next two did. I don't know if this is true for everyone, though.
Well I can't compare it to a singleton at this stage as i never got this far with my singles but my twins are always sticking limbs out and all kinds of things, thou I noticed alittle bit of a slow down in the past wk or so (Im almost 32 wks)
#14 of 14 Old 09-11-2005, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much everyone..

im going to wait till my next midwife appt in a few weeks and see.. maybe ill get an ultrasound. i think part of me would like it to just be a surprise, if there are indeed 2 in here, because i doubt if any of the midwives around here will attend a homebirth for twins.. there is no way id get a c-section, unless baby was in danger..

its good to hear of mommas who found out in the 30+weeks.. or even at birth! how amazing is that.. it makes me feel like im not that crazy to be wondering.

i even refered to my belly as my "babies" yesterday by accident to my mom.. she just gave me this look....

Quote:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page